If these guys want their big bucks they had better smarten up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If these guys want their big bucks they had better smarten up

How Tom Brady, the Eagles, and other athletes are failing us during the coronavirus pandemic | Marcus Hayes
    Posted: June 28, 2020 - 6:45 PM
    by Marcus Hayes
    Marcus Hayes | @inkstainedretch | [email protected]

How Tom Brady, the Eagles, and other athletes are failing us during the coronavirus pandemic | Marcus Hayes
    CHRIS URSO / AP
    They are role models, and so they should be setting the example, strapping on masks and social distancing and washing their big hands. Instead, many pro athletes are indulging themselves, and that’s going to ruin it for everyone.

The disregard many athletes are showing for safety as the United States keeps breaking records with new coronavirus infections sets the stage for mass outbreaks as leagues restart. Those outbreaks will lead to shutdowns, the way Texas hit the brakes on its reopening last week. Everything’s bigger in Texas, including COVID-19 idiocy -- unless you’re TB12 in Tampa.

Tom Brady last week posted an Instagram message parroting Franklin Delano Roosevelt: “We have nothing to fear but fear itself.”

Actually, the insufferable twit could fear infecting Bruce Arians, his 67-year-old head coach who is a three-time cancer survivor.

Any question about Brady’s sociopathic entitlement was answered in that post. The post was a response to the NFLPA and the NFL begging players to stop practicing together -- a plea in the wake of a host of stars commingling with abandon, Eagles among them.

Earlier this month, Fletcher Cox hosted a 14-player workout with defensive-line pals from all over the countr

Incredibly, Eagles head coach Doug Pederson endorsed this outrage.

“I love [it],” Pederson said of Cox’s mask-free mashup. “I commend the guys for doing that and taking time. That’s a great way to start building chemistry.”

No. In a normal offseason, it’s a great way to start building chemistry. During a pandemic, it’s a great way to spread a deadly virus all over the nation.

We’ve seen positive tests from significant players in all sports as teams and tours recommence. These next few days and weeks are crunch time for players to adjust their behaviors. If you want an NFL season, and if you want Major League Baseball to begin, and if you want NBA and NHL playoffs, then the players must be willing to sacrifice their freedoms.

This is how you behave.

You get up, you put on your mask, you go to the stadium or the arena or the ballpark or the golf course. When you’re there, you eat breakfast and lunch and dinner – whatever meals the team can provide you. You do your baseball or football or basketball or hockey activities.

Then you go to your home or hotel. Directly. Do not pass “Go,” do not collect $200, do not get coffee at Dunkin’.

That’s it. That’s your life.

You do not go to restaurants. You do not entertain visitors or business associates or friends, and that includes your agent, your buddy, or your latest Tinder temptation.

You do not go shopping.

You do not ever, ever, ever, ever, ever go to bars, Dallas Goedert.

You do not spit. The virus travels through expectoration, and everybody who plays anything expectorates, but don’t spit. Not into your glove, not onto your hands, not when you swish a mouthful of water after running your 10 gassers. Don’t spit tobacco juice, or sunflower seeds, or even loogies. Swallow them. Suck it up, buttercup.

You do not touch your face. You wash your hands all the time, every time you think about it, for 20 seconds.

You use so much hand sanitizer that your skin becomes alcoholic.

This will be hard at first, but playing sports is always a privilege. Playing sports in the middle of a 100-year pandemic is a gift from God to you and therapy for the rest of us. You can’t Zoom a home run.

Billions of dollars and millions of fans depend on your self-discipline and your respect for your teammates, for your employers, for your patrons, and for yourself.

Considering their devotion to preparation, a little short-term self-denial shouldn’t matter much to elite performers. Athletes erase meat and gluten from their diets. They run for miles in the heat and the cold. They lift tons of weights. They watch hours of tape. All they’re being asked to do here is stay away from Wawa for a few months. That’s never bad.

These parameters are not unreasonable. Soldiers and sailors surrender their freedoms for the common good, and none of them averages $2 million per year. Or, in Brady’s case, $25 million.

Brady’s cavalier attitude is made doubly grotesque because: 1) There have been positive tests at the Buccaneers’ facility in Florida, and 2) Florida’s case log continues to skyrocket so high that Miami beaches will close for the Fourth of July weekend, and Floridians now will be forced to quarantine for two weeks if they travel to New York, New Jersey, or Connecticut.

We all agree that masks are annoying. We all miss haircuts and movies and massages. But not all of us are re-entering high-risk workplaces where we will practice high-risk behaviors. That’s why all athletes’ behaviors away from their workplaces must, again, be stricter than those of the rest of us.

There’s no question they have the discipline to pull this off.

The question is: Do they have the desire?
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

every death except murder or car crash is deemed coronavirus, testing for the virus is up. The numbers are being manipulated in an election year. Fuck Marcus Hayes, he's a douche.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
      every death except murder or car crash is deemed coronavirus, testing for the virus is up. The numbers are being manipulated in an election year. Fuck Marcus Hayes, he's a douche.
      Wear a mask!

Comment

I'm old, fat, alcoholic and have a heart condition, wearing a mask WOULD kill me, I keep one around my neck, work mandates I must, but it only goes on when someone from the office comes out
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I'm old, fat, alcoholic and have a heart condition, wearing a mask WOULD kill me, I keep one around my neck, work mandates I must, but it only goes on when someone from the office comes out
          Wear a respirator.

Comment

Agree--- wear a mask around other people---- and agree also, mores tests=more cases! Only number that matters is the death rate!!

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
              -- and agree also, mores tests=more cases! Only number that matters is the death rate!!
              I don’t understand this thinking at all. Of course the numbers rise as testing increases - that’s the point f testing, to identify areas of risk and allow us to know where supplies, medicine and medical staff are needed. Closing your eyes and ignoring where help is needed won’t make it go away. Deaths are not the prime number to focus on. Infection rates per 100 tests are. This eliminates the misnomer that more testing means more cases - more cases doesn’t mean higher infection rates. If the rate of infection increases per 100 tests then it is spreading more, regardless of how many sets of tests are reviewed. I would really like to see these results as well as a breakdown of total infections vs. active infections. Knowing 2 million people have had it doesn’t mean much by itself (unless you are looking at the death rate which has been holding steady at roughly 5%). I want to know how many people CURRENTLY have the virus at any given time. This along with the infection spread rate are the most important numbers IMM.
              Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
              Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

-- and agree also, mores tests=more cases! Only number that matters is the death rate!!
                I don’t understand this thinking at all. Of course the numbers rise as testing increases - that’s the point f testing, to identify areas of risk and allow us to know where supplies, medicine and medical staff are needed. Closing your eyes and ignoring where help is needed won’t make it go away. Deaths are not the prime number to focus on. Infection rates per 100 tests are. This eliminates the misnomer that more testing means more cases - more cases doesn’t mean higher infection rates. If the rate of infection increases per 100 tests then it is spreading more, regardless of how many sets of tests are reviewed. I would really like to see these results as well as a breakdown of total infections vs. active infections. Knowing 2 million people have had it doesn’t mean much by itself (unless you are looking at the death rate which has been holding steady at roughly 5%). I want to know how many people CURRENTLY have the virus at any given time. This along with the infection spread rate are the most important numbers IMM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                  Not gonna get into it with you Juk, we totally disagree. You can take a test today and be negative and get the virus tomorrow.

The ONLY thing that does matter is the death rate... that is it. Everybody else lives!

Want to look at all kinds of other stats, be my guest but they will are all misleading in one way or another.

And BTW there is plenty of PPE for everyone, as are there hospital beds and ventilators. Media sucks at this--- they drive up extremes to sell more and get more clicks!

Disclaimer #12,495-- No, I am not saying testing doesn't have a place or is of no value. But it isn't the be-all and end-all that the media wants to shove down your throat!
                  Last edited by MDFAN; 07-01-2020, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Not gonna get into it with you Juk, we totally disagree. You can take a test today and be negative and get the virus tomorrow.

The ONLY thing that does matter is the death rate... that is it. Everybody else lives!

Want to look at all kinds of other stats, be my guest but they will are all misleading in one way or another.

And BTW there is plenty of PPE for everyone, as are there hospital beds and ventilators. Media sucks at this--- they drive up extremes to sell more and get more clicks!

Disclaimer #12,495-- No, I am not saying testing doesn't have a place or is of no value. But it isn't the be-all and end-all that the media wants to shove down your throat!

I really don’t understand this way of thinking - it makes no sense to me at all. So I will simply say we disagree and I will leave it at that.

Comment

I don't know how reliable the tests are anyway. We should get more leadership from the white house on this policy. Make everybody wear a mask!

Comment

If I am in public and someone gets within 6 ft of me I will slide my mask up, but if I am working and you walk up on me, sorry about your fucking luck. Anything over your mouth and nose restricts the oxygen getting to your lungs. You cannot do any activity with an M95, a respirator needs to be fitted by a professional, you must remove facial hair and you must pass a physical and you can still do very little physical labor. If you want to try my work situation, build a huge bonfire, get a thermometer and find the zone where it is 275-315 degrees, mask up and see how long you can stand there. If you are really tough, try digging a 3 x 3 x 3 hole in the ground.

Comment

If I am in public and someone gets within 6 ft of me I will slide my mask up, but if I am working and you walk up on me, sorry about your fucking luck. Anything over your mouth and nose restricts the oxygen getting to your lungs. You cannot do any activity with an M95, a respirator needs to be fitted by a professional, you must remove facial hair and you must pass a physical and you can still do very little physical labor. If you want to try my work situation, build a huge bonfire, get a thermometer and find the zone where it is 275-315 degrees, mask up and see how long you can stand there. If you are really tough, try digging a 3 x 3 x 3 hole in the ground.
                          Oh, don't be so sensitive Big Fella. We all know that you can't wear a mask in your line of work. Your boss is nuts trying to make you guys wear one.

Comment

just tired of all the BS, that's why I dropped my FB account. I believe there is a massive manipulation going on . People in hospice, nursing homes, people who were probably going to kick anyway. The five I know who actually got it , felt well enough to go to work.

Comment

Not surprisingly I disagree also. What matters is the hospitalization rate not the number of positives. More testing equals more positives but it doesn't mean more people showing up in the hospital. To my understanding hospitals in some areas are filling fast as they did in NY, NJ and the northeast at one time. That is what I see as the problem.

EDIT
                              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                              Hope is not a strategy
                              RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X