So let's talk defensive backfied

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So let's talk defensive backfied

Who are we going to keep? For the first time since Troy, Dawk and Bobby we had a good one. Not like them, but better than any since they've been gone I would guess. Doo-Doo was a darn good one too. I'm sure that I've left out a couple of others but I think that you know what I mean. The way that I see it is that we have two excellent safeties in Jenkins and McLeod. At corner we have Darby, Mills and hopefully Jones steps up. That leaves Robinson, Graham, Watson and Sullivan plus others who will be coming in. The only thing that I know about Sullivan is that he hits like The Missle and Zordich did. So how many and who do you guys think that we keep? Where does Douglas fit in? Nate Geary might end up in a hybrid spot too. Schwartz might have a lot of fun with this group next year.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Darby, Mills, Douglas and Jones at Corner. Maragos, Jenkins and Mcloud at safety. I would think we will draft a safety at some point and then maybe add like we did with Graham and Robinson some older vets.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
      Darby, Mills, Douglas and Jones at Corner. Maragos, Jenkins and Mcloud at safety. I would think we will draft a safety at some point and then maybe add like we did with Graham and Robinson some older vets.
      A lot of decisions to be made back there. They could go in a bunch of different directions. At least we have a solid base back there. It just will depend on what Schwartz wants to do with them. How much did Watkins play this year, any idea? He could be gone and how will they use Douglas? He should be playing next season.

Comment

eh, this will be sorted out in camp. I concur with Darby, Jones, Mills, and Douglas. Not sure how much time they have on Mills contract but I see him as a loss when the time comes. But that ain't this year. I think he is going to want big money. That is why I can't see them getting rid of Douglas. He has starter potential IMM. Jenkins, McLeod, Maragos and Watkins will be here at S. Either Wtakins or Maragos could lose their spot depending on TC; probably Watkins.
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Mills has two more years on his contract, Darby one more year, Jones and Douglas 3 more years.
          Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Mills reminds me of that nutjob db who was playing behind Taylor and Vincent and went on to be a pro bowler with somebody else. What was his name?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
              Mills reminds me of that nutjob db who was playing behind Taylor and Vincent and went on to be a pro bowler with somebody else. What was his name?
              Al Harris

Comment

Originally posted by RobLew65 View Post
                Al Harris
                Bingo!

Comment

Watkins sounds like he's gone

Eagles don’t plan on tendering restricted free agent Jaylen Watkins, report says
                  JWat’s probably gone.
                  By Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton Feb 20, 2018, 10:17am EST

Aaron Doster-USA TODAY Sports
                  The Philadelphia Eagles do not plan to offer a tender to impending restricted free agent Jaylen Watkins, according to NFL insider Ian Rapoport. This means that Watkins will now be an unrestricted free agent when the new league year begins in March.

As you’ve heard 1,000 times by now, the Eagles are very limited on cap space this offseason. They’re currently $9.7 million over the cap, according to Over The Cap.

Therefore, the Eagles have to be smart about how they spend. Giving a tender to Watkins would’ve have been insanely costly, but $1.9 million is not nothing.

It’s possible the Eagles are hoping Watkins tests the market and doesn’t get any offers. In that event, Philly could bring him back and sign him to the veteran minimum. But all it takes is one team to take a chance on him to foil that plan.

Watkins played 333 total snaps for the Eagles in 2017: 168 on defense and 165 on special teams. The 26-year-old held some value as a backup defensive back who could play both cornerback and safety.

The Eagles already have a lot of corner options, but Philadelphia is light on safety depth. Corey Graham, who turns 33 in July, is set to be a free agent in addition to Watkins now. The Eagles really need to find some players to back up Malcolm Jenkins and Rodney McLeod.

Full list of the Eagles’ 2018 free agents below:

Darren Sproles
                  Nigel Bradham
                  Trey Burton
                  Corey Graham
                  LeGarrette Blount
                  Dannell Ellerbe
                  Will Beatty
                  Caleb Sturgis
                  Najee Goode
                  Bryan Braman
                  Patrick Robinson
                  Kenjon Barner
                  Jaylen Watkins
                  Beau Allen

Comment

I have to admit, I'm still not a big fan of McLeod and think we can do better.

his coverage skills are severely lacking

other than that, I love the corners and Jenkins.

If I am the Eagles, I look to upgrade LB and S big time!

Comment

I don't know how we're going to upgrade Dawk because we have no money or glaring holes for that matter. The only way to get better is through the draft and other than QB we have to go BPA all of the way for the most part. It's hard to tell who is playing well in that defensive backfield Schwartz changes things up so much. Jenkins hardly played any safety in the SB. Unless you're up high or in the film room it was very hard to see who did what this season. It sounds like they are moving on from Watkins so I wonder if they try Douglas at safety? Graham is a nice player and might be back.

We need Bradham back for sure. He and Jenkins covered a lot of sins for us this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                        I don't know how we're going to upgrade Dawk because we have no money or glaring holes for that matter. The only way to get better is through the draft and other than QB we have to go BPA all of the way for the most part. It's hard to tell who is playing well in that defensive backfield Schwartz changes things up so much. Jenkins hardly played any safety in the SB. Unless you're up high or in the film room it was very hard to see who did what this season. It sounds like they are moving on from Watkins so I wonder if they try Douglas at safety? Graham is a nice player and might be back.

We need Bradham back for sure. He and Jenkins covered a lot of sins for us this year.
                        I think Douglas moves to safety this spring. And that heavy hitting kid on the practice squad gets extended look. Also Geary follows Jenkins every move.

Comment

Originally posted by RobLew65 View Post
                          I think Douglas moves to safety this spring. And that heavy hitting kid on the practice squad gets extended look. Also Geary follows Jenkins every move.
                          I think that you're talking about Tre Sullivan Rob. He's a lot like McLeod. Geary is interesting too. If he could take Jenkin's roll that would let us move him back to a full time safety.

Comment

They aren't going to tender Watkins, but they could well bring him back for a less expensive contract than that. As well as maybe draft some competition -- don't think Watkins would be guaranteed to make the team even if he does sign again, but his flexibility is a big plus in those camp battles.

Comment

As for safety, it's a need. Both Jenkins and McLeod are expensive. McLeod's contract basically guarantees he's on the team this year -- cutting him before June 1 would actually cost against the cap -- but not sure we want to keep paying him beyond 2018 as he is somewhat cuttable after that (though still 4 million dead money in 2019). He restructured last year which created 2017 cap room but has the effect of increasing dead money in future years if you cut him. Corey Graham was a good filler signing, and could be back too, but we need to draft someone there hopefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X