Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bradham might not be that expensive to keep-interesting

FEBRUARY 19, 2018

Howie's choice: Do the Eagles keep Nigel Bradham or Mychal Kendricks?

021918NigelBradham DENNY MEDLEY/AP Will the Eagles keep Nigel Bradham, Mychal Kendricks, or both?
    Over the upcoming Philadelphia Eagles offseason, there are going to be many pointless debates centered around Carson Wentz vs. Nick Foles. There really is no debate, to be clear. The Eagles' starting quarterback is Wentz.

On the other side of the ball, however, there is an interesting "Sophie's Choice" situation brewing at linebacker, in which Howie Roseman and Co. may have to choose between Nigel Bradham and Mychal Kendricks, the team's two starting linebackers for most of the season in 2017.

Bradham is set to become a free agent in March. In each of the last two seasons, Bradham led the team in tackles (102 in 2016, 88 in 2017), while also contributing 13 pass breakups, 3 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries, 3 sacks, and an INT during that span. After Jordan Hicks went down with a ruptured Achilles, Bradham assumed responsibility of the radio helmet, taking signals from Jim Schwartz and getting the defense lined up.

"I think Jordan brought a lot to our defense, was the quarterback of our defense and was a playmaker," said Schwartz in January. "I think one of the unsung stories of this season has been Nigel picking up that communication.

"Nigel has always been a fiery guy. Sometimes I think he runs about five extra miles trying to get to the pile to make sure he's delivering whatever message he's going to deliver and it brings us a lot of energy, it really does. But that's a tough thing to do when you've got the coach speaking in your ear about, ‘Hey, remind this guy this and we're going to this call, but check it to this if something else is going on’. And he's done a really good job handling all that communication, and it's been fairly seamless."

Clearly, Bradham was (and is) ahead of Kendricks on the Eagles' metaphorical importance scale, since he was a starter over Kendricks prior to Hicks' injury, and because Schwartz chose Bradham over Kendricks to take on communication responsibilities.

That said, Kendricks had a very good 2017 season as well. He was second on the team to Bradham in tackles, with 77, despite playing 311 fewer snaps on defense. Kendricks also chipped in 2 sacks and 6 pass breakups.

From 2012 to 2016, Kendricks' participation in the regular defense decreased every year, with the low point coming in 2016, Schwartz's first year running the show. As noted above, Kendricks' snap count rose sharply in 2017 due to Hicks' injury.

Mychal Kendricks Games played Snaps Percentage of snaps
    2012 15 (14 starts) 926 88.4%
    2013 15 (15 starts) 991 82.3%
    2014 12 (11 starts) 761 65.7%
    2015 13 (13 starts) 628 51.8%
    2016 15 (8 starts) 273 26.8%
    2017 15 (13 starts) 612 59.4%

In Schwartz's scheme, the slot corner is more of a starter than the third linebacker, as a third linebacker has been on the field for the Eagles for less than 30 percent of the snaps during Schwartz's tenure in Philly.

In 2018, Kendricks will count for $7,600,000, which is a sizable rock in the salary cap jar of a team that is going to have to trim about $10 million just to get back under the cap.

In 2017, free agent linebackers found a very soft market. Consider Zach Brown, who had 149 tackles, 4 sacks, 4 pass breakups, 2 forced fumbles, an INT, and a spot in the Pro Bowl in 2016 with the Bills. During the 2017 offseason, as a free agent, Brown signed a one year deal with the Redskins worth $2.3 million, with playing time and performance incentives.

The most lucrative long-term deal at the linebacker position (edge rushers excluded) was earned by former Super Bowl MVP Malcolm Smith, who signed a five year, $26.5 million contract with the 49ers. A statistical comparison Bradham's last two seasons vs. Smith's two seasons prior to his new contract:

Player Tackles Sacks INT-PBU FF-FR
    Nigel Bradham 190 3 1-13 3-2
    Malcolm Smith 225 4 2-9 4-1

In other words, it may not take a mountain of cash to bring Bradham back, especially with potential discipline coming down from the league for his two arrests in 2016.

Hicks will be returning in 2018, though certainly, he has earned the "injury-prone" label. Still, the Eagles are almost forced to rely on his good health moving forward into 2018 because they simply can't afford the luxury of paying two additional linebackers a lot of money, even if they needed that extra guy last season. The salary cap can be unforgiving to winning teams with loaded rosters, and something has to give.

If Bradham proves to be too costly to retain in free agency, Kendricks would be a starter, and keeping him at his $7.6 million cap charge would be a reasonable option, even if he is overpaid. If they're able to bring Bradham back on a new deal, then $7.6 million will be a monumental cost for a third linebacker. In that case, expect Kendricks to be back on the trading block once again in 2018 like he was in 2017.

Or maybe there's a team out there willing to give up more substantial compensation for Hicks? To be determined, but it will all start with Bradham's new deal or lack thereof.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Man, I really don't want to lose either Kendricks or Bradham, even with Hicks coming back. Hicks has obviously had trouble staying on the field. Even Kendricks always seems nicked up.

I would rather lose Hicks than Bradham. But, Hicks has a much lower salary. Cutting Kendricks results in 3mil in dead money. It's kind of a messy situation.

I think we will end up with Hicks and Kendricks next year. Bradham will sign elsewhere.

I am starting to put more value on LB's these days. Just look at Dallas with or without Sean Lee. They are a different team when Lee is out (fortunately, that is a lot of the time).

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post
      Man, I really don't want to lose either Kendricks or Bradham, even with Hicks coming back. Hicks has obviously had trouble staying on the field. Even Kendricks always seems nicked up.

I would rather lose Hicks than Bradham. But, Hicks has a much lower salary. Cutting Kendricks results in 3mil in dead money. It's kind of a messy situation.

I think we will end up with Hicks and Kendricks next year. Bradham will sign elsewhere.

I am starting to put more value on LB's these days. Just look at Dallas with or without Sean Lee. They are a different team when Lee is out (fortunately, that is a lot of the time).
      I think that you are right that they keep Hicks pliny. I think that it will come down to Kendricks or Bradham and I'm hoping that they sign Bradham. I hate losing Kendricks but I think that somebody probably has to go. Maybe they can get by just releasing Goode. I found it interesting how little Zack Brown made when he was a FA and that we might be able to hold onto Bradham if that's the market for him.

Comment

This dilemma is truly showing a need to perhaps draft a guy this year. Hicks is the issue. They guy is a very good player but just cant stay healthy. Bradham market maybe out there but he could stay for a smaller amount than anticipated base on other contracts. Of course the spoils of victory may also create an even bigger market for him.

Comment

Originally posted by RobLew65 View Post
          This dilemma is truly showing a need to perhaps draft a guy this year. Hicks is the issue. They guy is a very good player but just cant stay healthy. Bradham market maybe out there but he could stay for a smaller amount than anticipated base on other contracts. Of course the spoils of victory may also create an even bigger market for him.
          You sure touched all the bases there Rob lol. Hicks is such a question mark. I think Wentz not being ready will cause a domino effect for multiple positions for cap reasons.

Comment

Hell, better get indoors or the falling sky will get us.
            No doubt this is going to be a tough off season. They played into Feb so time is crunched. They lost a couple coaches so they have to work the staff. They are up against the cap so they will have to do some hocus pocus. They have a half doz starting players coming off injury so there are questions about their return vs staying with backups. I've seen player after player on TV or radio or whatever doing interviews and guest stints so you have to worry about their heads. Etc.
            But it is early. I think they will be okay with players, some will be gone but others will be here, and they will work some deals to get under the cap, and they will get a staff together. My concern is that the grind will come early for them next year. There won't be a lot of R&R this off season for them to get away from the game
            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
            Hope is not a strategy
            RIP

Comment

we can't keep everyone, but injury questions make it impossible to get rid of everyone as well. Kendricks played big in the playoffs, but his pricetag might be too much for a 33% player. Hicks is a stud when he's on the field, but...Vinny and Graham were good/great consistently for most of the season, But I'm wondering if you don't let both walk for the cap space and bring in more players along the line of Chris Long to replace them or a pick in this years draft. We also have Means who plays a bit like both.
              We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                Hell, better get indoors or the falling sky will get us.
                No doubt this is going to be a tough off season. They played into Feb so time is crunched. They lost a couple coaches so they have to work the staff. They are up against the cap so they will have to do some hocus pocus. They have a half doz starting players coming off injury so there are questions about their return vs staying with backups. I've seen player after player on TV or radio or whatever doing interviews and guest stints so you have to worry about their heads. Etc.
                But it is early. I think they will be okay with players, some will be gone but others will be here, and they will work some deals to get under the cap, and they will get a staff together. My concern is that the grind will come early for them next year. There won't be a lot of R&R this off season for them to get away from the game
                And just a bunch of reasons why teams very seldom repeat.

Comment

keep Bradham, trade Kendricks

the game has changed and teams need coverage fast Linebackers

Kendricks doesn't have the same range as Bradham IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post
                    keep Bradham, trade Kendricks

the game has changed and teams need coverage fast Linebackers

Kendricks doesn't have the same range as Bradham IMHO
                    I think the team may try to move Kendricks and bring back Bradham. It will be strictly for the cap relief, re:Kendricks. Unless the team restructures him.

Comment

Bradham market value comparisons

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelp.../market-value/

Comment

get it done !
                        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                          get it done !
                          Agree. IMO Bradham should be retained. Maybe Kendricks gets moved in a trade this time for real, thereby facilitating granting the Eagles cap space to give Bradham his extension.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
                            Agree. IMO Bradham should be retained. Maybe Kendricks gets moved in a trade this time for real, thereby facilitating granting the Eagles cap space to give Bradham his extension.
                            That's a little scary with just 2 good linebackers on the roster but it has to be done I suppose. Bradham will want Kendick's money. Geary has to step up. I hope that Bradham never hits the market. I would think that Schwartz would step up and lobby for him.

Comment

Working...
                            X