Marlon Byrd.... Really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marlon Byrd.... Really?

UPDATE: Marlon Byrd's deal is for 2 years, $16 million, per Adam Rubin at ESPN - quite the raise from the $700,000 he made last year.
    From earlier: Fox's Ken Rosenthal also reports that a two-year deal is being finalized for Marlon Byrd.
    The Phillies are reportedly about to sign Pirates outfielder Marlon Byrd, according to 94 WIP.
    Byrd, originally drafted by the Phillies, made his big league debut with them in 2002. After several bottoming out years, Byrd hit .291 this season with an .847 OPS at 35 years old.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...mjk67mvY80Y.99http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...rlon_Byrd.html

Really? Anybody think he is worth 8 million per?

That's the going rate for a player of his ilk. Byrd played well last year and earned a solid contract, good for him.

I'm glad the Phillies didn't go overpay for Choo or Ellsbury. Those guys would cost $100 million plus and I hate those Carl Crawford-like contracts. They would not have made the Phils contenders next year. Carlos Beltran is another guy who is about to get overpaid and I don't really want him either.

It's only a two-year deal and he didn't cost any draft picks, which I really like. Would rather overpay for a two-year deal than have him signed for three. Better they sign guys to short-term deals who can be flipped for prospects at the deadline if they are not in contention. Byrd represents a decent RH bat and could be helpful if used properly -- particularly as part of a platoon. Not sure I like having him as an everyday player, just like I don't want Ruf in the OF as an everyday player.

I'm hoping that this signing means Ruf platoons with Howard at 1B. May also signal the end of Chooch.

So, all in all, not saying I love the signing. I just don't hate it.
    Last edited by Leonard Tose; 11-12-2013, 01:11 PM.
    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Disagree... I think we get the 2011 and 2012 Byrd and not the 2013 one.

Comment

Not thrilled about this signing but not totally pissed. Sounds like they might platoon Byrd with Ruf in RF. The bigger rumor is the Phils going after Sherzer or David Price & sounds like Dom Brown would be a part of that. Not happy about losing Brown if it goes down that way.
        Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
          Disagree... I think we get the 2011 and 2012 Byrd and not the 2013 one.
          It's very possible. I'm not saying I love the signing. Just don't hate it. Much rather sign Byrd to a 2-year deal than Nelson Cruz to the 5 year, $75 million he reportedly demanded from the Phillies.

They ain't winning next year either way, so Byrd is basically a stopgap until they start bringing the next wave of talent through. Cruz would have significantly hurt their flexibility going forward for a marginally better return.

I will say this: I will LOVE the signing if they use the money not spent on Cruz or Beltran or Granderson and sign Masahiro Tanaka. That would be brilliant and just might put them back in the wild card hunt.
          Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Originally posted by j-bird View Post
            Not thrilled about this signing but not totally pissed. Sounds like they might platoon Byrd with Ruf in RF. The bigger rumor is the Phils going after Sherzer or David Price & sounds like Dom Brown would be a part of that. Not happy about losing Brown if it goes down that way.
            They aren't platooning Byrd with Ruf -- both are RH hitters. I'm hoping this means Ruf platoons with Howard.

I think it's very possible they still go sign a lefty OF bat to platoon with Byrd.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Tose View Post
              They aren't platooning Byrd with Ruf -- both are RH hitters. I'm hoping this means Ruf platoons with Howard.

I think it's very possible they still go sign a lefty OF bat to platoon with Byrd.
              I'm well aware that Ruf & Byrd both bat Right handed, I was expressing my displeasure of losing Dom Brown in a trade. If Brown is traded you could see Ruf, Revere, & Byrd in the OF. Other times we'll see Ruf platoon with Howard who got worse vs LHP. Pretty obvious to me that if they do pull the trigger on Scherzer or Price that Brown gets traded & a LH bat in the OF is needed.
              Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...g_in_Byrd.html

This guy is a 100 game ban waiting to happen. --- or --- last years stats were a mirage.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                  http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...g_in_Byrd.html

This guy is a 100 game ban waiting to happen. --- or --- last years stats were a mirage.
                  Yep, it's possible. Although I don't think it's quite the either/or you are saying. It's also highly possible that last year's performance was a one-off, whether PED-helped or not, and we should expect some regression to the mean, something closer to his career numbers.

Even if that is the case, which I think is the most likely scenario, Byrd can still be useful. He murders lefthanders and can be a valuable member of an OF platoon.

Comment

Working...
                  X