NFL viewing down 10%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL viewing down 10%

I think I know why-The Redzone effects viewing with fantasy football nuts. . They got greedy and are finally getting burnt.

Goodell: NFL trying to figure out ratings drop

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said Wednesday that the league does not think it has lost viewers despite a 10 percent drop in television ratings this season, Kevin Seifert of ESPN.com reports.

At the same time, however, he acknowledged that league officials are trying to understand what has caused the drop and how to address it.

Speaking after the league's fall meetings in Houston, Goodell said it is important not just to get viewers tuned in but also to "get them to stay tuned in" to game broadcasts.

"When you look at ratings you have to go deeper than that," Goodell said. "It's viewers, but also how long they're engaging for, and a lot of times, people will leave a game for whatever reason, whether it's to go to other programming or whether the game is not that competitive."

Goodell said neither he nor the league's broadcast partners believe player protests of the national anthem have played a role in the drop. But he did note a relative lack of competitive games in prime time and the contentious presidential election and debate schedule as partial explanations.

"There a lot of factors to be considered," he said. "We don't make excuses. We try to figure out what's changing."
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

If they think the national anthem stuff is not a factor, then they are idiots.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

They might want to look at officiating. There is a penalty called on almost every play. I know we were helped by it, but throwing a flag for taking a jump shot after scoring a TD is a little too much. They should allow a little celebrating. It is entertaining. They have taken most of the fun out of the game. (Geez, I'm really starting to sound like an old man!)

I was watching a collegiate game (It may have been Ohio State - Wisconsin), and was thinking about how much smoother the game was flowing and realized that the officials were letting the boys play football instead of trying to interfere with every play. Also, the enthusiasm that the spectators (mostly college students) had was infectious. NFL games don't seem to have the same atmosphere.

My viewing is certainly down. At one time, I tried to watch as many games as possible. Now, I just watch the Eagles games and matches featuring our division opponents.
      "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Yea not sure why college seems to flow better but it does. May not be true as it is just an observation. I wonder what the penalties per game or some such stat shows Mr. Goodell
        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
        Hope is not a strategy
        RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle` View Post
          Yea not sure why college seems to flow better but it does. May not be true as it is just an observation. I wonder what the penalties per game or some such stat shows Mr. Goodell
          Over exposure is also coming home to roost. I'm pretty sure it's the Thursday games and even Monday nights that are dropping. Half of fans watch the redzone on Sundays exclusively now. Does that thing even have commercials? I've never watched it.
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Along with penalties, silly celebrations, political posturing and complaining every dropped pass, I think College also has fewer commercials. It really does flow better and the passion in a college game is infectious. Over exposure of all levels of football is crazy.

Comment

simple, the product is mediocre . The officials are making the games longer and once again the product just isn't that inspiring.
              We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

It is absolutely the officiating. They are choking the game with flags.
                You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

It's just like government, too much regulation stifles creativity, suffocates joy, and costs too much damned money.
                  http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Working...
                  X