No announcement yet.

Howie's stock rising-out of the cellar anyway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howie is making the deals IMO, but Smith and Jernigan are here because of Douglas
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by Rossovich View Post
      I personally could care less who gets the credit as long as they build a good team.
      No shit, they'll both be rock stars if they get us a trophy
      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
        Howie is making the deals IMO, but Smith and Jernigan are here because of Douglas
        I sure hope that's not true. I'snt Douglas supposed to call the personnel shots?
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

" We’ve ranked them all based on draft picks, free agent signings and cap management."

That really is not a good ranking system. You need a baseline of where the team was when the GM took over and where they are now. Trades were not included, hiring of coaches and staff not included. How about resigning of their own players.

If we look at Howie from the beginning in 2010 (and honestly we don't know if he was running the show at all then) through now, I would say his strengths are:
          1. Trades - he is one of the best, we rarely lose on a trade
          2. Cap Management - Yes even with no "" money under the cap he was able to improve the roster on this team through free agency.

Neutral-
          1. Draft Picks - he has hit on some and swung and missed on others. Some of the earlier years we don't know if it was him or Andy. The drafts that we know he ran 2013, 2016, 2017 (maybe 2014 but that was when Chip started crying), they were all pretty good drafts. 2014 not too good. Overall he is about league average

Not Good -
          1. Picking Coaches - Chip was really a disaster, Doug maybe yes, maybe no. Overall though not too good.

2. Front office staff - Up until he got Douglas we had alot of folks run through here and guys who mostly ripped Howie on the way out.

I think Howie is league average somewhere in that 14-17 spot but his arrow is pointing up. The last two years since he came back, taking that crap that Chip left him and turning into a decent football team this quickly is good work.
          Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
            " We’ve ranked them all based on draft picks, free agent signings and cap management."

That really is not a good ranking system. You need a baseline of where the team was when the GM took over and where they are now. Trades were not included, hiring of coaches and staff not included. How about resigning of their own players.

If we look at Howie from the beginning in 2010 (and honestly we don't know if he was running the show at all then) through now, I would say his strengths are:
            1. Trades - he is one of the best, we rarely lose on a trade
            2. Cap Management - Yes even with no "" money under the cap he was able to improve the roster on this team through free agency.

Neutral-
            1. Draft Picks - he has hit on some and swung and missed on others. Some of the earlier years we don't know if it was him or Andy. The drafts that we know he ran 2013, 2016, 2017 (maybe 2014 but that was when Chip started crying), they were all pretty good drafts. 2014 not too good. Overall he is about league average

Not Good -
            1. Picking Coaches - Chip was really a disaster, Doug maybe yes, maybe no. Overall though not too good.

2. Front office staff - Up until he got Douglas we had alot of folks run through here and guys who mostly ripped Howie on the way out.

I think Howie is league average somewhere in that 14-17 spot but his arrow is pointing up. The last two years since he came back, taking that crap that Chip left him and turning into a decent football team this quickly is good work.
            Stop the madness...... He will be judged solely on Wentz!

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
              Stop the madness...... He will be judged solely on Wentz!
              His reputation was lower than whale shit when he came in, not just in Philly either. He had the reputation of a sneaky ferret who backstabbed his way to the top. He's up to 21 now so I'd say that's an improvement not that this guy's opinion means anything. His status has improved simply because it looks like he made a good move acquiring Wentz. If Bridgewater didn't break his leg last year he'd still be on the bottom in most peoples eyes. All that stuff taz outlined is nice but it won't mean squat unless Wentz turns into a top flight QB. That may not be true in your eyes, but those 2 will be linked together forever unless somehow the Eagles prosper without Wentz but it would be unlikely Howie would survive if Wentz fails.

Comment

Ranking lists are stupid to begin with, but that's a really stupid one. In fact, I don't think I've seen anything along those lines reaching that level of stupidity since Rolling Stone ranked Eddie Van Halen #70 in it's greatest guitar players rankings. Eddie fucking Van Halen. These lists are only as good as the people who make them which is, in this case, not very good at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                  His reputation was lower than whale shit when he came in, not just in Philly either. He had the reputation of a sneaky ferret who backstabbed his way to the top. He's up to 21 now so I'd say that's an improvement not that this guy's opinion means anything. His status has improved simply because it looks like he made a good move acquiring Wentz. If Bridgewater didn't break his leg last year he'd still be on the bottom in most peoples eyes. All that stuff taz outlined is nice but it won't mean squat unless Wentz turns into a top flight QB. That may not be true in your eyes, but those 2 will be linked together forever unless somehow the Eagles prosper without Wentz but it would be unlikely Howie would survive if Wentz fails.
                  They are tied together, as the overall success of the organization is tied to Wentz. But, I don't think you can judge him on Wentz alone. You can't win with just a QB. You have to build a team around him.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
                    They are tied together, as the overall success of the organization is tied to Wentz. But, I don't think you can judge him on Wentz alone. You can't win with just a QB. You have to build a team around him.
                    There are two truths in life EB:

1) It's always about the money

2) In the fans eyes it's always the quarterback

Comment

Originally posted by Rossovich View Post
                      I personally could care less who gets the credit as long as they build a good team.
                      The only reason why I do care is because in a few years when Douglas is offered $10m to run theChargers, Lurie better know who made the draft decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                        There are THREE truths in life EB:

1) It's always about the money

2) In the fans eyes it's always the quarterback

3) Women; can't live with them, pass the beer nuts.
                        Fixed.
                        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                          Fixed.
                          Norm's greatest line EVER!

Comment

Originally posted by WCPhan View Post
                            The only reason why I do care is because in a few years when Douglas is offered $10m to run theChargers, Lurie better know who made the draft decisions.
                            The Chargers? Their track record suggests a Chip Kelly hire at GM. I do get your point.

Comment

Originally posted by WCPhan View Post
                              I'm not sure how one goes with the other WC. If the GM gets out of the way of the personnel director and the draft goes well then both guys are doing their jobs the right way. If the GM has the plumber fix the toilette and doesn't bug him and the guy does a fantastic job you don't make him GM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
                                Ranking lists are stupid to begin with, but that's a really stupid one. In fact, I don't think I've seen anything along those lines reaching that level of stupidity since Rolling Stone ranked Eddie Van Halen #70 in it's greatest guitar players rankings. Eddie fucking Van Halen. These lists are only as good as the people who make them which is, in this case, not very good at all.
                                Something about this quote just keeps making me crack up!

Comment

Working...
                                X