A good test for Mathews tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good test for Mathews tonight

We should know pretty quick how the rook can handle the run game. Baltimore loves to play smashmouth. I guess we'll find out about our DTs too. Should be fun!
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Definitely a good test....from what I've heard the LB all play within the edges of each side's DE and off the line by about 5-10 yards...the DE supposedly get after the QB right at the snap, seal the edge and the DT inside shoot gaps to also pressure the QB/nail the RB for a loss...if the RB or QB squeeze through, then the LB fill the gap and make tackles...going to be interesting to see this process work
    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Not only for Matthews but for the entire defensive unit with the new coaches and players. While it would only be the 1st quarter of the first preseason game I really really don't want to see a melt down to start things off.

Comment

VT, I think we can expect both teams to be sloppy and/or rusty since the new ruls have hardly allowed for much hitting/tackling and most guys have had maybe one week of "practice" so far...I would not read too much in if any of the units struggle tonight..

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by Vote for Kalas View Post
          Definitely a good test....from what I've heard the LB all play within the edges of each side's DE and off the line by about 5-10 yards...the DE supposedly get after the QB right at the snap, seal the edge and the DT inside shoot gaps to also pressure the QB/nail the RB for a loss...if the RB or QB squeeze through, then the LB fill the gap and make tackles...going to be interesting to see this process work
          If the O runs a trap play the RB might run forever!

Comment

According to what I've read and I may be explaining it poorly, having the LB off the line is supposed to lessen the chance of that happening (unless they are blitzing a LB of course) and it acts as a balance to the aggressive push by the DL...the LB do not move at the snap, but read the play and then go...so if the trap is run and gets by the DL, the LB should be in position to shut it down...we'll see

-Andy Reid

Comment

How do you guys think he did? Man, those LBs were deep off of the ball.

Comment

The defense didn't play long enough to really get a good reading. There were definitely some problems - missed assignments, missed tackles, etc., but there were also some good signs.

Because of the shortened preseason, we're probably not going to get a good reading until they play the real games.
                "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

The defense was really swarming from what I saw Stock. It still looked like the Giants might still be able to overpower us in the run game though. Baltimore seemed to throw more than usual.

Comment

What test? Matthews was in for two series. What has he done to deserve that kind of veteran treatment? He should have played for at least a half.
                    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

I expected so too, LT. What the heck are they doing with Mathews? He should be getting all of the work we can feed him right now if they are SERIOUS about the rookie starting in the middle for us.

Sorry, Im just not buying this. Chaney will end up taking over in the middle out of necessity
                      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Matthews did not play badly...I saw him make two good plays, one that forced Flacco to throw the ball away and another on a screen. They should have played him longer though I agree...

I think they might be waiting to see what vet LB get cut and could bring someone in...

-Andy Reid

Comment

Working...
                        X