Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Peter King was NFL commissioner for a day....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Peter King was NFL commissioner for a day....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/w ... index.html

I like and dislike this part in particular:

3. Make long field goals more valuable: Simple: Any field goal 50 yards or further is worth four points. No traditionalist would want it. But no traditionalist wanted the three-point shot in basketball, and look how much fun it is to see Dwyane Wade or Vince Carter go wild from 28 feet. Electric stuff. Imagine the Lincoln Financial Field crowd at a 14-10 game, Philadelphia trailing Dallas, late fourth quarter, Eagles' ball, fourth-and-six at the Cowboy 35. "A-kers! A-kers! A-kers!" the crowd shouts, serenading David Akers as he runs on the field. And now the game's in his hands. Or on his foot. It'd add value to the long field goal, and make more games competitive late.

I love the Akers reference. But I also hate when writers try to use examples from sports they don't know.

Dwyane Wade going wild from 3, huh? In his 213 career games, Mr. Wade has launched up a staggering 174 3's, connecting on 24% of them. He did pick up the pace in the playoffs by taking 37 in 23 games at 38%. But still. Outside shooting isn't his game (at least not while he can take people to the hole at will).

peter king should work for espn, he's so clueless

a 3 pointer fits into the flow of the game. its a step or few back from a regular shot.

a long fg for more points is just plain goofy. kicking in itself barely is part of what football is all about. 'hey, let's get more of it'
    Five straight losses, including a crucial one at Dallas on Christmas Day, send them out against Atlanta, needing the win, plus help. -Dr. Z, 8/31/06

Comment

Wouldn't it also encourage teams to lose or not go for yardage if they were down 4 points to be in 4-point range?

Comment

10. Make the Super Bowl the best two out of three: Ha! Made you look. Just kidding. I may be commissioner, but I'm not that stupid.
        what does this mean?

you're not commissioner.
        do you mean to say whoever becomes commissioner is stupid?
        you're stupid!
        you stupid.
        Five straight losses, including a crucial one at Dallas on Christmas Day, send them out against Atlanta, needing the win, plus help. -Dr. Z, 8/31/06

Comment

Why not just make TD's from 75 yards and out worth 8 points while we are at it.

And if you drop kick it from 50+ it's worth 5........

or since were doing this, FG's from 20 and in only worth 2.

Stupid point, IMO.

Comment

He just picked the biggest name he knew from the NBA. Peter King is a douchebag.

Comment

I think safeties when the QB gets injured should be worth 4 points.

Comment

only one that has any real merit, IMHO, is #1............

"1. Expand the regular season to 18 games: Cut the preseason to two games, and expand the regular season by two. Now, I understand how football's a war of attrition, and so you'd have to adjust how teams play the game. So expand the rosters to have every one of the 53 players on the active roster active for each game, instead of only 45. This would give the best players, theoretically, the opportunity to play fewer plays and give each player a better chance to last 18 games. Of course, you'd have to pay the players more because they'd be performing for two more games, but that's for another day. I'm only the commissioner for a day, not a mathematician."

And maybe #9, if it can be done --- I just hate the guess work that happens at the goal line at times and since it is a game changing event it needs to be right---- or they need to change the rule.

Comment

Originally posted by reesecal

a 3 pointer fits into the flow of the game. its a step or few back from a regular shot.

a long fg for more points is just plain goofy. kicking in itself barely is part of what football is all about. 'hey, let's get more of it'
                  I agree that the idea is a lousy one for several reasons, but respectfully disagree that "kicking in itself is barely part of what football is all about". Aside from the offensive and strategy aspects of field gold kicking, I believe punting and kickoffs (and coverage of same) are fundamental to winning...or losing. If the mulitple aspects of kicking the ball weren't of fundamental importance to the game, it might well have a different name, eg. carryball or throwball.

Comment

Originally posted by tinopuno
                    Originally posted by reesecal

I agree that the idea is a lousy one for several reasons, but respectfully disagree that "kicking in itself is barely part of what football is all about". Aside from the offensive and strategy aspects of field gold kicking, I believe punting and kickoffs (and coverage of same) are fundamental to winning...or losing. If the mulitple aspects of kicking the ball weren't of fundamental importance to the game, it might well have a different name, eg. carryball or throwball.
                    well, yeah. but hey, when you play pickup games as a kid, what do you do besides punting and kicking off? you just throw it

just, to me, the concept of a drive ending with a guy holding a ball on the ground while another guy kicks it thru 2 upright yellow polls with no tackling going on is totally alien compared to the rest of the game of tackling and whatnot

Comment

It seems to me that kicking a field goal from the 10 yard line is worth as much OR EVEN MORE than from the 50 yard line. That field goal from the 10 usually comes after you've driven the ball a long way.
                      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

You're not taking into account giving up the six points for a touchdown in your analysis.

Comment

I'd agree with an 18 game season if they cut the pre by two games but I would also be satisfied if they just cut the pre by a game or two. I also agree with the thought of no expansion of the playoffs. There should be a reason to succeed in the regular season and that reason should be to make the playoffs---not to get a better seeding. And I really can't believe that they can't use technology to signal when the ball crosses the goal line. It doesn't have to be the final say but it can be used to give the ref another piece to look at to be certain they have it right
                          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                          Hope is not a strategy
                          RIP

Comment

Working...
                          X