Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worst NFL Throwbacks: #4 - Philadelphia Eagles Light Blue and Ugly Yellow Ensemble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst NFL Throwbacks: #4 - Philadelphia Eagles Light Blue and Ugly Yellow Ensemble

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2011/5/25/...nd-ugly-yellow

Worst NFL Throwbacks: #4 - Philadelphia Eagles Light Blue and Ugly Yellow Ensemble

To commemorate the 75th anniversary of Eagles' Football, the leadership of Philadelphia decided to sully their team's reputation by wearing these lovely outfits. As I mentioned before, pastels don't really do it for me on the football field, and the no contrast mixture of light blue and light yellow splashed about with no defining feature or semblance of theme make this design #4 on my Worst Of Throwbacks list.

Though I am a fan of simplistic uniforms bereft of superfluous piping, detail and logos, the color combination presented simply does not work. In the words of Jim Mora Jr, "unacceptable."

Ha...I really like any website called "Eagles Chick"! Nice!

http://www.eagleschick.com/2007/09/eagles-throwbac.html

Eagles Throwback Uniforms aka Those Ugly Blue & Yellow Jerseys

The superstitious Eagles fan might chalk up the Eagles amazing rout of the Detroit Lions on Sunday to the fact that they were wearing different uniforms. The tactical/superstitious Eagles fan might chalk the win up to confusion by the Lions, as they were blinded by the colors of the throwback uniforms, or perhaps, the Lions were confused because they thought they were playing a college team? No matter what the Lions thought, honestly, they didn't loose because of the ugly uniforms that the Eagles wore on Sunday.

But what about those ugly throw back uniforms? Where the heck did they come from and why on earth would any team wear them? Well here's a little background into those really ugly yellow and blue uniforms the Eagles sported in the Sunday home game against the Detroit Lions.

1933-2007 - 75 Philadelphia Eagles Seasons - Anniversary Celebration

To help commemorate the 75th Season of Philadelphia Eagles Football, the team announced back in April that on September 23, 2007 in the home game against Detroit, the Eagles would wear replica uniforms of those worn by the first Eagles team in 1933. With the help of Reebok, the Eagles reproduce these "beauties" for the entire team.

Now you are probably wondering, why the heck these Swedish colors? Why those really ugly colors? Well it has to do with a number of things. Not just the fact that those colors use to be the official colors of Philadelphia, PA.

The blue and yellow colors were the first colors worn by the Eagles, after the Frankford Yellow Jackets went bankrupt. So when the NFL awarded the Philadelphia franchise to a syndicate headed by former University of Pennsylvania teammates Lud Wray and Bert Bell, the new Eagles, inherited these ugly colors on their uniforms.

Whether it was coincidence or not when the Yellow Jackets first wore the colors, they are actually the official colors of the City of Brotherly Love. Prior to William Penn arriving here, the Swedes had settled the area, so he felt compelled to incorporate the color of Sweden into the City of Philadelphia's flag.

It's not just Philly fans gawking at those ugly replicas, it's the entire nation. On NBC's Sunday night football, Keith Olberman even named the "Most Hated Person in the NFL" this week, as whoever made the Eagles wear those really ugly throwback uniforms. Sports commentors on CBS, Fox, ESPN and local news stations ALL had something to say about those uniforms.

The only player that looked like they got a "reprieve" from wearing those colors was Dawkins, as he wore normal Eagles colors (not a uniform) of Eagles gear on the sidelines. He's probably thinking, "Thank Goodness!"

That's #4? What, they get worse?

The throwbacks weren't all bad though..........
    "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
    — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
    - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

Comment

"Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
      — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”

Comment

— Michael Strahan

Comment

those things look like something a gay jockey would wear,who did we play when we wore those ugly things ? Chargers ? Had AR worn one of those shirts,the kids would've lined up for the balloon ride.
          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

A lot of the throwbacks are really bad (Broncos in brown and yellow? Jets in a dark blue that makes them look like the Steelers?) but those light-blue-and-yellow abominations are the worst. I can't believe they ever got approved. You couldn't even make out the jersey numbers on tv.

Comment

BE I do believe those 2 would look good in anything...or without anything.

Comment

I wouldn't go buy one but they don't look that bad IMO. They remind me of a college teams uniform.
                FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
                  I wouldn't go buy one but they don't look that bad IMO. They remind me of a college teams uniform.

I'd take those throwbacks over those fucking hideous black alternate jerseys with green pants they were wearing a couple years ago!
                  Last edited by Zepster; 05-29-2011, 02:54 AM.
                  Stand for the flag you assholes!

Eagles, Flyers Phillies fan since 1977. GO O'S!!

Comment

Working...
                  X