Register blog | Columns | Amazon FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read mobile style

Go Back   Philly.Sportscolumn.com > Philly Sports > Eagles Fans Only 2017

Old 02-12-2018, 09:37 PM   #11
ThoughtProcess
2011 Contributor
Hall of Famer

ThoughtProcess has disabled reputation

If he splits I can imagine him in Indy. That said, it’s also possible that Celek takes a cut/retires, thereby freeing up some cash and playing time for Burton
ThoughtProcess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:11 PM   #12
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Eagle60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
If he splits I can imagine him in Indy. That said, itís also possible that Celek takes a cut/retires, thereby freeing up some cash and playing time for Burton
Maybe, Flip sure knows him. Doyle was their TE last season and lead the team in receptions though.

Jack Doyle
Old 02-12-2018, 11:19 PM   #13
YourPalChrisMal 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

YourPalChrisMal is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't be surprised if Celek is offered a restructured deal that is something like a 2-year deal that everyone knows will be voided after one, but allows them to put a small amount of cash in his pocket now but spread over 2 years for cap purposes, and play for close to vet minimum in 2018. That would give them a good blocking TE who's useful and a great team guy.

Then they either draft a pass-catching TE (those usually aren't that hard to find late in the draft) or if Brown has shown enough he can be that guy. That winds up as your 3rd TE who gets a portion of the 2-4 targets that Burton would get each game.

Considering their cap situation, I think something like that is the likely scenario.

I just don't see Burton coming back for anything less than $2.5-3M/year, and I'm not sure that's a luxury they can afford unless they somehow free up way more cap space than I'm expecting them to.
YourPalChrisMal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:19 AM   #14
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Celek is offered a restructured deal that is something like a 2-year deal that everyone knows will be voided after one, but allows them to put a small amount of cash in his pocket now but spread over 2 years for cap purposes, and play for close to vet minimum in 2018. That would give them a good blocking TE who's useful and a great team guy.

Then they either draft a pass-catching TE (those usually aren't that hard to find late in the draft) or if Brown has shown enough he can be that guy. That winds up as your 3rd TE who gets a portion of the 2-4 targets that Burton would get each game.

Considering their cap situation, I think something like that is the likely scenario.

I just don't see Burton coming back for anything less than $2.5-3M/year, and I'm not sure that's a luxury they can afford unless they somehow free up way more cap space than I'm expecting them to.
It sounds like that's what they already offered him last year Chris and he turned it down. It sounds like he's going to test the waters first. If somebody wants him for a starter he'd get more. He's kind of a tough guy to put a price on because he doesn't get a ton of touches and the Eagles obviously know him better than anybody else. Probably a 50-50 shot.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:27 AM   #15
taz
Pro Bowler

taz has disabled reputation

I think Celek is going to retire if not he will be cut. He is not worth anywhere near 5 million.

Burton is probably going to get PAID. I would think somewhere in the 5 yr 35 mill range with some nice guarantees. Too rich for our blood.

Also read the tea leaves the Eagles tried several times this year to snag TE from other practice squads. TE is going to be a focus.

I would love to get the kid from Penn State Giesicki. For some reason, most draft sites have him as a 4th round pick. I think he goes in round 2 . He has a huge catch radius and is very atheletic. Maybe we can get him with one of the picks we get for Foles He would be a great robin to ertz Batman
Old 02-13-2018, 10:32 AM   #16
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz View Post
I think Celek is going to retire if not he will be cut. He is not worth anywhere near 5 million.

Burton is probably going to get PAID. I would think somewhere in the 5 yr 35 mill range with some nice guarantees. Too rich for our blood.

Also read the tea leaves the Eagles tried several times this year to snag TE from other practice squads. TE is going to be a focus.

I would love to get the kid from Penn State Giesicki. For some reason, most draft sites have him as a 4th round pick. I think he goes in round 2 . He has a huge catch radius and is very atheletic. Maybe we can get him with one of the picks we get for Foles He would be a great robin to ertz Batman
6'6"-257 lbs? No way he gets to the 4th round.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:34 AM   #17
taz
Pro Bowler

taz has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle60 View Post
6'6"-257 lbs? No way he gets to the 4th round.
Yep I agree, I think he goes second round, maybe even sneaks into teh first round say pick 32
Old 02-13-2018, 11:15 AM   #18
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz View Post
Yep I agree, I think he goes second round, maybe even sneaks into teh first round say pick 32
Sweet.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:49 AM   #19
rspurr
2011 Contributor
Pro Bowler

rspurr has disabled reputation

If Celek retires we will need a good blocking TE.
Canada's #1 Eagles fan.
rspurr is offline   Reply With Quote