Register blog | Columns | Amazon FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read mobile style

Go Back   Philly.Sportscolumn.com > Philly Sports > Eagles Fans Only 2017

Old 02-14-2018, 07:17 PM   #1
musicman
Hall of Famer

musicman is on a distinguished road
Default Brandon Graham Wants Paid

Things are gonna get interesting.

Brandon Graham makes himself clear about contract

By Dave Zangaro | NBC Sports Philadelphia February 14, 2018 6:00 PM

It doesn't appear that Brandon Graham is going to be shy about this.

He wants a new contract.
The Eagles' star 29-year-old defensive end, pretty fresh off making the biggest play in Super Bowl LII (see story), was on NBC Sports Philadelphia's Quick Slants on Wednesday night and was asked about his future.
Here's what he said:
"For me, it's all about getting as much as you can while you can play because when it's over, it's over. I know Howie (Roseman) and those guys, if they want me here, they're going to make sure that they get me here. For me, I want to be here. Everybody knows I want to be here. They see the passion I have and I'm happy to be able to bring the trophy back to Philly. Now, it's just all about just making sense, just getting me protected for the future. Because obviously I want to retire here and I know I'm going to retire here because I've been here a long time. I would love to retire here. It's all on what they want to do. I'm just going to embrace it, whatever it is."
Pretty clear. He wants a new deal. Obviously he wants a new deal.
Graham had a career-high 9 sacks in 2017 and was the Eagles' most disruptive pass rusher while also being dynamic for the team's NFL-best run defense.
Graham is entering the final year of his current contract (a four-year deal from 2015) that will pay him a base salary of $7 million in 2018, but he's been playing at an extremely high level and he's watched as defensive line teammates Fletcher Cox, Vinny Curry and now Tim Jernigan have all cashed in. He understandably thinks it's now his turn.
Before the start of last season, the Eagles added $1.5 million in incentives to the final two years of Graham's contract. At the time, it was a nice showing of good faith.
You'll remember that Graham was missing for part of the Eagles' voluntary workout program last offseason. While it was reported by the Philadelphia Inquirer that his absence was fueled by contract concerns and it was possible he would miss OTAs, that was never proven. Graham denied that report and showed up when OTAs began. Maybe there wasn't a dispute at the time, but it has been pretty clear that Graham wants a new contract.
The real question surrounding all this is about what Graham is willing to do in an attempt to get a new deal. After all, he's under contract for this season and the first mandatory dates don't come until June. Would he be willing to get fined for missing a mandatory minicamp or even more substantial fines for missing training camp to prove a point?
None of that is clear yet as the confetti from the Eagles' first Super Bowl championship has just been cleaned up. What is clear is that Graham wants a new contract and is seemingly deserving. Now, we'll just have to see how it all goes.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:28 PM   #2
WCPhan
Pro Bowler

WCPhan has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to WCPhan

Well, that was a short off-season.

There are too many FAs on this team to keep them all
WCPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:29 PM   #3
NoDakIggle 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

NoDakIggle has disabled reputation

That's why they pay Howie I guess. My initial reaction is that he was paid the first year or two when he wasn't performing like a superstar so I hope he remembers that. I would also agree with him that the others on the DL got paid; however, I'm not sure they got paid early. I have no qualms with paying him next year or giving him a new deal now if he is willing to accept that they don't have to do it this year AND they gave him some incentives (although minor) when they didn't have to so don't bust their balls
Old 02-14-2018, 08:50 PM   #4
musicman
Hall of Famer

musicman is on a distinguished road

he was a good soldier and played LB even though he had no real shot at being good at it.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:04 PM   #5
MDFAN
Hall of Famer

MDFAN has disabled reputation

Graham and his agent need to remember all the money he stole from the Eagles those first few years!
MDFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:19 PM   #6
taz
Pro Bowler

taz has disabled reputation

They will,get a deal done with him, a new deal would actually help,their cap