Register blog | Columns | Amazon FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read mobile style

Go Back   Philly.Sportscolumn.com > Philly Sports > Eagles Fans Only 2017

Old 02-08-2018, 06:41 PM   #11
WCPhan
Pro Bowler

WCPhan has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to WCPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle60 View Post
I think Carson and Nick might be exceptions to some extent, but I did see Reggie follow the money and that's what everybody including us does in the end.
Yeah, I get it. But the endorsement deals could dwarf their contracts if managed properly.
WCPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:59 PM   #12
Eaglebreath
Pro Bowler

Eaglebreath has disabled reputation

I could be wrong, but that is what happens when you have a GM in Lynch who has no experience managing contracts under a cap system, and building a successful roster long term. I like Garrapolo, and I think he's going to turn that franchise around. But, to make him the highest paid player in the NFL after starting a handful of games, and giving him a contract that is absolutely going to effect your ability to maintain a capable roster around him is not a wise decision.
Eaglebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:12 PM   #13
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Eagle60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglebreath View Post
I could be wrong, but that is what happens when you have a GM in Lynch who has no experience managing contracts under a cap system, and building a successful roster long term. I like Garrapolo, and I think he's going to turn that franchise around. But, to make him the highest paid player in the NFL after starting a handful of games, and giving him a contract that is absolutely going to effect your ability to maintain a capable roster around him is not a wise decision.
It depends how they wrote it I would imagine. I don't think that you just throw that kind of money around like that if you don't know what you're doing but I could be wrong. Garoppolo is supposed to be a Brady clone but that contract sure doesn't look like one of his. I haven't seen him play other than a couple of exhibition games. SF has a ton of cap space so they probably wrote it right. Like all sports the salaries are getting staggering. Based on that contract it sounds like Washington dropped the ball unless they get lucky with a QB in the draft at some point.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:41 AM   #14
RobLew65
Pro Bowler

RobLew65 is on a distinguished road

The guy played in 5 regular season games. FIVE!!! That body of work gets him that kind of money? You know the Saints who have to pay Brees, the Packers who have to pay Rodgers and anyone in the Cousins market has to be fuming at SF!
RobLew65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:46 AM   #15
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLew65 View Post
The guy played in 5 regular season games. FIVE!!! That body of work gets him that kind of money? You know the Saints who have to pay Brees, the Packers who have to pay Rodgers and anyone in the Cousins market has to be fuming at SF!
The details of the contract should be interesting Rob. You would think they would give themselves an out. He has been around the league for quite awhile though and they saw him for half of a season. I'm sure G didn't want to go learn a new offense and leave a cool place like Frisco so it seems to me on the surface that contract was a least "silly". It seems like a rushed deal to me. Then again maybe DeBartolo is a secret owner and the mob is back in business.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:00 PM   #16
RobLew65
Pro Bowler

Quote:
The details of the contract should be interesting Rob. You would think they would give themselves an out. He has been around the league for quite awhile though and they saw him for half of a season. I'm sure G didn't want to go learn a new offense and leave a cool place like Frisco so it seems to me on the surface that contract was a least "silly". It seems like a rushed deal to me. Then again maybe DeBartolo is a secret owner and the mob is back in business.
I hve been to Frisco. Nice place to visit. Best friend is raising family in San Rapheal! Great spot! But that still doesn't make Jimmy G worth that kind of money!

I would like to see the details. They can probably get out from under it in year 3.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:04 PM   #17
WCPhan
Pro Bowler

WCPhan has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to WCPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLew65 View Post
I hve been to Frisco. Nice place to visit. Best friend is raising family in San Rapheal! Great spot! But that still doesn't make Jimmy G worth that kind of money!
Well, considering a 4br 2.5ba goes for $900k in San Raphael, 49ers overpaying for Garapollo was the expected
WCPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:05 PM   #18
RobLew65
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCPhan View Post
Well, considering a 4br 2.5ba goes for $900k in San Raphael, 49ers overpaying for Garapollo was the expected
I know what you mean! I saw my buddy's house and said you better work until you're dead, come back from the dead and work some more to pay this mortgage!
Old 02-12-2018, 03:13 PM   #19
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

I guess that $137 million doesn't get you what it used to.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:00 PM   #20
RobLew65
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I guess that $137 million doesn't get you what it used to.
Actually I think it would be just fine for guys like us. For Jimmy G well we will see.