Register blog | Columns | Amazon FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read mobile style

Go Back   Philly.Sportscolumn.com > Philly Sports > Eagles Fans Only 2017

Old 02-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #1
ThoughtProcess
2011 Contributor
Hall of Famer

ThoughtProcess has disabled reputation
Default Colts Zeroing In On Reich

Per Schefter. Possible /likely that the Eagles lose him too, in addition to DeFilippo defection to Vikings. Groh, Staley look like probable successors.

Effin’ McDaniels.... Eagles owe Patriots another ass kicking.

On the flip side, happy for them and grateful for their contributions towards this magical run
ThoughtProcess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:35 PM   #2
Rossovich 
2013 Contributor
Pro Bowler

Rossovich has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to Rossovich

Reich got a 5 year deal with Indy. I’m happy for him though that franchise is a mess.
Rossovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:13 PM   #3
Pliny
2011 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Pliny has disabled reputation

Thanks McDaniels, you bastard.
Pliny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:35 PM   #4
taz
Pro Bowler

taz has disabled reputation

Happy for Reich. Happy for Deplippo. Looks like Duce will be the Offensive Coordinator , Press Taylor WR and Groh to QB. Also, a guy like McAdoo could be coming aboard.

Honestly, teams catch up to offenses in the offseason, some fresh blood might be a good thing. Draw up some more Philly Special plays.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:43 PM   #5
ThoughtProcess
2011 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Hmmm...

Maybe new Colts HC Reich can take it to the Patriots during the regular season and maybe the playoffs if they make it....
Old 02-11-2018, 06:46 PM   #6
ThoughtProcess
2011 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz View Post
Happy for Reich. Happy for Deplippo. Looks like Duce will be the Offensive Coordinator , Press Taylor WR and Groh to QB. Also, a guy like McAdoo could be coming aboard.

Honestly, teams catch up to offenses in the offseason, some fresh blood might be a good thing. Draw up some more Philly Special plays.
Iíve also read names like Jim Caldwell too, re: QB coach. I envision the team staying in house for the majority of the vacancies
Old 02-11-2018, 07:33 PM   #7
tinopuno 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

tinopuno is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz View Post

I want no part of McAdoo. Whatever he brings to the table in terms of offensive ingenuity is more than offset by his creepiness (the hairdoo and beard alone should be disqualifying) and his willingness to throw a steady if fading franchise hero like Eli under the bus when HIS offense went in the toilet.
tinopuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 07:44 PM   #8
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Eagle60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
Iíve also read names like Jim Caldwell too, re: QB coach. I envision the team staying in house for the majority of the vacancies
It will be interesting TP. I first thought that Doug would promote from within too but Reid got in trouble doing that. The way that Doug assembled his staff kind of showed that he knows his way around the league. Maybe when you become a head coach you get away from that stuff??? I don't know. I'm guessing that maybe assistant coaches get together at some places and get to know each other (kind of like high school coaching clinics).

In any case I don't want an idiot like McAdoo who can't look in the mirror and figure out that he looks like a moron when he's wearing a tank for a suit.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:52 PM   #9
Jukin 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Jukin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinopuno View Post
I want no part of McAdoo. Whatever he brings to the table in terms of offensive ingenuity is more than offset by his creepiness (the hairdoo and beard alone should be disqualifying) and his willingness to throw a steady if fading franchise hero like Eli under the bus when HIS offense went in the toilet.
Couldn't have said it better myself! Good job tino!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." Mike Willey
Jukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:41 PM   #10
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Eagle60 will become famous soon enough
Default T Lawler with some posibilities

Reich to the Colts
Posted: February 11th, 2018 | Author: Tommy Lawlor | Filed under: Philadelphia Eagles | 84 Comments

The next shoe has fallen.

Mike Garafolo

@MikeGarafolo
Frank Reich will be the Coltsí new coach. Five-year deal with the team has been agreed to and about to be finalized, source says. @espn reported earlier he was the fave.

3:13 PM - Feb 11, 2018
1,302 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Congrats to Frank. He was a terrific assistant for the Eagles, helping to develop star QBs and build a championship offense.

Doug Pederson now has a major challenge, trying to replace his offensive coordinator and QBs coach. Letís start by talking about internal candidates.

Many people have asked about Duce Staley moving into the role of OC. I donít think that is likely. He has never run an offense or had extensive experience with building a gameplan. Staley is highly regarded by the Eagles for his ability to manage his RBs and for his leadership skills. Gameplanning isnít his area of expertise. Even with the run game, Jeff Stoutland is the one who really puts those plays together and then works with Pederson and the OC.

Staley had a long NFL career and has been a good assistant coach for a while. It is possible that Pederson could feel Staley is ready for the challenge of being the OC. Pederson isnít afraid to take chances, with his players or staff. I donít see this as likely, but it certainly isnít impossible.

Mike Groh was an OC at the college level. He played QB in college and has a good offensive mind. Moving him to OC would be a steep promotion, but after he just did a brilliant job with the WRs nothing is out of the question. As with Staley, this doesnít feel like a likely move.

If Pederson does decide to move Groh to being the QBs coach, that could affect his thinking on the rest of the staff. If he made Staley the OC, he would be making significant changes to several positions. That doesnít seem like a wise scenario for a team that wants to compete for another title. You would have a new OC, QB, WR and RBs coach in that scenario. Thatís too much movement in my mind.

The more you think about it, the more it makes sense to bring in an outsider to be the OC. Darrell Bevell makes the most sense. He was just let go by Seattle, but did have success there, helping them to win a Super Bowl and just miss out on another. Bevell worked for the Packers from 2000-2005. He worked directly with Pederson from 2001-2004. Bevell then went to the Vikings from 2006-2010, before moving on to Seattle, where he had his most success.

Bevell wouldnít come here to call plays. He would be here to help design gameplans and to work on whatever specific situations Pederson assigned him (3rd downs for example). Bevell knows Pederson and has plenty of NFL experience.

Mike Shula could be another name of interest. He and Pederson crossed paths with the Dolphins in the early 1990s. Shula struggled to get the Panthers offense to perform at a consistent level, but certainly was creative and did some good things with Cam Newton and that offense. They led the NFL in scoring in 2015.

Todd Downing would be someone to check out, for either OC or QBs coach. He did a great job with Derek Carr in 2015 and 2016. Downing was made the OC in 2017 and the offense struggled. Not all of that is on him, but it appeared play-calling wasnít his strength. That wouldnít be an issue in Philly, where Pederson runs the show on Sundays. Downing is a good coach and certainly knows how to prepare for games.

I wonder if John Morton could be a target. He did an excellent job with a very questionable Jets offense this past season, but then was fired at the end of the year. That leaves plenty of tough questions. He has experience working with WRs and could be a possibility for that role if Mike Groh does get the QBs position.

I would give Bevell and Shula an advantage here because Pederson seems to like former QBs for his staff. Bevell was excellent at Wisconsin, but never got a shot in the NFL so he went right into coaching. Shula was good at Alabama and did get an NFL shot, but moved to coaching after just one season.

One thing to keep in mind, Pederson will be looking for the right fit as much as the right resume. Nobody from the NFL was throwing jobs at Reich and Flip when the Eagles hired them. Flip had just gotten fired by the Cleveland Browns (thank you, Hue Jackson)!

These are good problems to have. They are problems, but so much better than ďHow do I turn 7-9 into 13-3?Ē.

This is a key time for Pederson. He needs to make the right hires so this team can continue to play at a championship level in the future.