Register blog | Columns | Amazon FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read mobile style

Go Back   Philly.Sportscolumn.com > Philly Sports > Eagles Fans Only 2017

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2018, 08:33 PM   #11
NoDakIggle 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,206
NoDakIggle has disabled reputation
Default

Well it is too bad to lose both. I thought one may go but thought they would hold onto Flip until they learned Reich's fate. But, so be it. Doug needs to look in his Rolodex and see who is available. I thought Bevell would have been picked up already but it appears his name isn't as high a it once was. I can see Doug going for a former QB
__________________
"Don't look between the lines for stuff that isn't there" Schwartz
RIP
NoDakIggle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:49 PM   #12
Jukin 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer
 
Jukin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,987
Jukin is on a distinguished road
Default

This shows even more why we need to keep Foles here for next season. Losing our OC and WR Coach is bad. Asking Sudfeld to step up and likely play part of the season while bringing in new staff to work with him is too much at one time IMO. Having a confident and experienced Foles as the backup and likely opening day starter allows Sudfeld to get comfortable with the new staff before his role expands exponentially. Getting the right guys and allowing Sudfeld to grow slowly is key if we are looking at him as the long term backup.
__________________
Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." Mike Willey
Jukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:50 PM   #13
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer
 
Eagle60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 27,459
Eagle60 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDakIggle View Post
Well it is too bad to lose both. I thought one may go but thought they would hold onto Flip until they learned Reich's fate. But, so be it. Doug needs to look in his Rolodex and see who is available. I thought Bevell would have been picked up already but it appears his name isn't as high a it once was. I can see Doug going for a former QB
After reading Lawler I first thought of Bevell too but then I read that he called the pass that Butler picked off instead of giving it to Beast Mode in the SB. Pete Carroll has taken the heat for it but Bevell called it. Nobody is breaking down the door to get him either. Then again Hue Jackson fired Flip and look at him now! I wonder if Doug had talked to Flip before hand and Flip thought that he would have had more control over the offense in Minnesota? All of this is above my paygrade.
__________________
Home of the World Champion Philadelphia Eagles
Eagle60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:54 PM   #14
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer
 
Eagle60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 27,459
Eagle60 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukin View Post
This shows even more why we need to keep Foles here for next season. Losing our OC and WR Coach is bad. Asking Sudfeld to step up and likely play part of the season while bringing in new staff to work with him is too much at one time IMO. Having a confident and experienced Foles as the backup and likely opening day starter allows Sudfeld to get comfortable with the new staff before his role expands exponentially. Getting the right guys and allowing Sudfeld to grow slowly is key if we are looking at him as the long term backup.
In a perfect world I agree Juk. Howie has to look 3-5 years down the road though and he's got to juggle the numbers and develop some lower costing players. I wonder if they have software for that lol? Probably do!
__________________
Home of the World Champion Philadelphia Eagles
Eagle60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:08 PM   #15
Jukin 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer
 
Jukin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,987
Jukin is on a distinguished road
Default

3-5 years can wait. We are talking about a season that starts in just 7 months. Too much change at one time can set this kid back several years. Look at how long it took Agholor to get his head staight when his new situation overwhelmed him. Sudfeld was drafted in ‘16 and spent a year with Washington. Then he is waived and signs here. It would be nice to allow him some continuity before he is thrust into a starter role for the defending Super Bowl Champs (man I enjoyed writing that!). Anyway my point is that going from being waived by 1 team to starting for the defending Super Bowl Champs (yep, still loved it!) in a 12 month period may be more than the kid can handle. Slow growth for the long term benefits is more important than the draft picks or cap room a Foles trade would bring.
__________________
Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." Mike Willey
Jukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:32 PM   #16
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer
 
Eagle60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 27,459
Eagle60 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukin View Post
3-5 years can wait. We are talking about a season that starts in just 7 months. Too much change at one time can set this kid back several years. Look at how long it took Agholor to get his head staight when his new situation overwhelmed him. Sudfeld was drafted in 16 and spent a year with Washington. Then he is waived and signs here. It would be nice to allow him some continuity before he is thrust into a starter role for the defending Super Bowl Champs (man I enjoyed writing that!). Anyway my point is that going from being waived by 1 team to starting for the defending Super Bowl Champs (yep, still loved it!) in a 12 month period may be more than the kid can handle. Slow growth for the long term benefits is more important than the draft picks or cap room a Foles trade would bring.
I certainly see you point Juk and it's a good one. Gruden isn't the worst guy in the world to work for though. Here's another thing to think about though. What if Carson isn't ready until Columbus Day and Nick goes 3-1? Now what do you do???
__________________
Home of the World Champion Philadelphia Eagles
Eagle60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:46 PM   #17
Jukin 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer
 
Jukin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,987
Jukin is on a distinguished road
Default

You switch to Wentz and the fans can scream all they want. Carson is the starter amd if he is rusty and struggles so be it. He should have won the MVP this year and I doubt the fans will bitch after gettng that monkey off of our backs. Wentz is our best chance to repeat and the fans know that.
__________________
Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." Mike Willey
Jukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:23 PM   #18
WCPhan
Senior Member
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 2,935
WCPhan has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to WCPhan
Default

I like the idea of Jim Caldwell for QB coach/OC or Caldwell OC and the Duce for Asst OC/QB Coach to get him the experience for the next step. One thing that is beneficial is that top asst coaches will want to come here if they know the head coach can help them get to the next level. Jim Caldwell could turn one decent year into a wash of this three in Detroit.
WCPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:26 PM   #19
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer
 
Eagle60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 27,459
Eagle60 will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukin View Post
You switch to Wentz and the fans can scream all they want. Carson is the starter amd if he is rusty and struggles so be it. He should have won the MVP this year and I doubt the fans will bitch after gettng that monkey off of our backs. Wentz is our best chance to repeat and the fans know that.
The fans know one thing Juk-winning. If Carson lost a couple they'd be screaming for Foles. You can't win-ah, well yes you can by winning lol. I just hoping that we can avoid a quarterback controversy.
__________________
Home of the World Champion Philadelphia Eagles
Eagle60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:02 PM   #20
Jukin 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer
 
Jukin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,987
Jukin is on a distinguished road
Default

if the fans start that bullshit I will personally meet every on of the them on the Ben Franklin Bridge for a fight!!!
__________________
Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." Mike Willey
Jukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.