Register blog | Columns | Amazon FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read mobile style

Go Back   Philly.Sportscolumn.com > Philly Sports > Eagles Fans Only 2017

Old 02-11-2018, 04:57 PM   #1
taz
Pro Bowler

taz has disabled reputation
Default The Foles dilemma

We are going to hear a ton over the next six weeks about should be keep Foles or should be trade Foles.

First I am solidly in this is Carson's team. No IF and's or Buts about it. Wentz got them there, his play throughout the year up until he got hurt was that of an MVP. He is 5 years younger than Foles.

Foles is a QB who was a top 10 QB in 2013 played pretty well in 2014 before getting hurt then found himself in QB hell with Jeff Fisher. He basically two times found himself in bad situations. Chip Kelly was not interested in continuing to grow Foles not after his power play, he sent him off to QB Siberia with Jeff Fisher. We all know the rest of the story. I think Foles is much closer to the QB in the Super Bowl than he was with the Rams. Yes the Oakland game was Ugly but it was so bitterly cold, neither QB could feel there fingers and thus their throws.

So I think the Eagles realistically have two of the top 20 QB's in football right now A very enviable but also potentially toxic situation.

Carson Wentz will be back next year most likely by Training Camp and then by game one. Now at first I don't expect the es capability that Carson had, that will come with time (Just look at Randall when he first came back). That is where the toxic situation will happen this Fan base will turn on Carson and want Foles it will put undo pressure on this team and a young QB in Carson. Certainly is not the type of pressure a team looking to repeat should go through.

If by chance Carson is not ready by day 1 then keeping Foles seems to make sense to most people, however say Carson isn't ready until game 4, Foles comes out 3-0, Carson comes in and struggles, then what? Yet another toxic situation.

Finally who is to say that Foles doesn't want to be a starter again? Everyone is saying well he was going to retire. Yes that was two years ago and wait for it HE DIDN"T RETIRE, now he has just played an incredible six game stretch that culminated in winning the Super Bowl MVP. I think this would made anyone hungry to start again.

So my conclusion is the only way to keep this team on track to win another Super Bowl is cash in the Foles chip, gain the cap space, gain the draft capital (I still think he is worth the equivalent of a 1st round pick) give Foles his chance to start elsewhere. If Carson is not ready then they should role with Suddfeld. The Eagles felt strongly enough about him to keep in on the roster and keep other teams from signing him.They also should draft another QB this year (most likely in the 4th round).
Old 02-11-2018, 05:20 PM   #2
NoDakIggle 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

NoDakIggle has disabled reputation

As much as I would like to have a backup QB of Foles' caliber I just don't think it happens. I have always thought Foles was closer to the QB he showed in the SB than what he showed with the Rams. That Oakland game is a throwaway IMO because the man had VERY little time and chemistry with the first team. Foles is an NFL QB with the right scheme.
I also have faith in Sudfield as a backup; mostly because Doug & Co (Reich and Flip) thought pretty well of him. So I am okay with moving Foles along. That is the business side. I would caution though that they may wait until TC to see what develops, much like the Bradford deal. I would love a Carson/Foles run but I just don't think it happens
As a side note I don't think I draft a QB this year. Too few picks. There are lots and lots of 3rd string guys around that are worth looking at
Old 02-11-2018, 05:30 PM   #3
andrewaters 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

andrewaters is on a distinguished road

If Foles wants to go someplace you trade him. If he wants to stay you keep him. You have to remember if you lose him in 2019 you could get a compensatory pick for him. My guess is Arizona for their second or maybe a swap of firsts and Nick gets a multi year extension from the Cards. 4 year $55 million or something.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:36 PM   #4
ThoughtProcess
2011 Contributor
Hall of Famer

ThoughtProcess has disabled reputation

IMO the team may just act upon a scenario where they receive a first or second round pick. However, as Foles has successfully shepherded the team to SB victory the team may grant him some input as a show of gratitude and respect.
ThoughtProcess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:10 PM   #5
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Eagle60 will become famous soon enough

ND pretty much nailed this one IMO. Howie's phone will be ringing off the hook soon. The last thing that this team (or any other team for that matter) needs is a QB controversy. I'll bet that Nick does (and should) get traded though they'll do their best to accommodate him much like the Patriots did with Garoppolo. I'm just guessing Arizona because that's close to home for him. Reich might push for him in Minnesota too as all of their QBs are free agents. As nice of a story that this is it is still a business not Sunday school. Sudfeld showed enough that people were screaming for him to start the Atlanta game. Doug gushed about him a couple of times when he was just running the scout team. He will go through a full camp and do nothing but get better. I don't think that they use a high pick on a QB because if they do they pretty much commit themselves to carry 3 QBs but nothing surprises me. Losing our QB coach and OC hurts but we still kept Joe Douglas which should keep the talent flowing for another year anyway. COREY CLEMENT as a FA. Nuff said there.

I think that the swap of picks with Arizona that AW mentioned would be a fair deal too.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:35 PM   #6
Rossovich 
2013 Contributor
Pro Bowler

Rossovich has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to Rossovich

I agree Nick will be traded if he wants the chance to start again. Sudfeld will get the reps and hopefully be good.
Rossovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:13 PM   #7
FairOaks
Pro Bowler

FairOaks is on a distinguished road

Probably would take a second round pick offer, and also a team that Nick was OK going to -- not sure they would trade him against his will.

March 18 is an interesting day in this -- Foles has a $3 million roster bonus that day. Trade before then, and Eagles save that off their cap. If not, the compensation would probably have to be higher (as Foles would be that much cheaper to the other team).
FairOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:02 PM   #8
balto-eaglefan
2011 Contributor
Hall of Famer

balto-eaglefan has disabled reputation

I think the Eagles will probably sit down with Foles and do right by him - if somebody just blows their doors down with an offer, both sides will be willing to pull the trigger. Not just for the Eagles’ own sake, but for Foles’!

These guys want the chance to start, and seriously, they’ve got families and a narrow window to make some coin as a pro athlete. I really hate to bring up this example, but even BDawk was willing to leave Philly for his last big payday and an offer that the Eagles couldn’t have matched. It hurt like hell at the time and I think he got lowballed by our FO, but when I saw what Denver was paying him, I thought, “Well, jeez, we were never going to pay him close to that.” Similar stuff with Jeff Garcia.
"Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger."
-- Michael Strahan

Pete Retzlaff on Eagles fans: "They're very demanding . . . even when they don't know what they're talking about. But they're very loyal."
balto-eaglefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:41 AM   #9
taz
Pro Bowler

taz has disabled reputation

Glenn Foley was on WIP this morning he thinks that Minnesota is going to go hard after Foles. He thinks that there may be a deal already as Diflippo knew that Reich was most likely going to go to Indy. He best bet to getting to a head coach would have been another year with Carson Wentz vs whats behind door number 2 in Minny. That is unless he brings Foles with him. Foley thinks multiple picks coming our way not neccessarily a 1st but at least a 2nd. Interesting.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:19 AM   #10
Rossovich 
2013 Contributor
Pro Bowler

Rossovich has disabled reputation
Send a message via Yahoo to Rossovich

I could see Denver having interest in Foles. They haven’t shown confidence in Lynch. With Nick they have a NFL QB without going thru the rookie QB growing pains. Maybe it gives Lynch the time to develop if he ever does.
Rossovich is offline   Reply With Quote