Press Taylor new QB coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Press Taylor new QB coach

The Philadelphia Eagles have reportedly decided on a new quarterbacks coach. Press Taylor is the man who will be taking over John DeFilippo’s old position, according to NFL insider Ian Rapoport.

This news comes as a little bit of a surprise since Eagles wide receiver coach Mike Groh was rumored to get the job. It’s not a total shock, though, considering Taylor previously held the title of “offensive quality control/assistant quarterbacks coach.”

Taylor, who turned 30 years old in January, certainly isn’t the most experienced candidate for the job. His coaching career began as a graduate assistant in 2011 at Tulsa. He then joined the Eagles on Chip Kelly’s original coaching staff in 2013 as an offensive quality control coach. “Assistant quarterbacks coach” was added to his title when Doug Pederson arrived to Philadelphia in 2016.

Age and experience isn’t everything. The Eagles clearly feel strongly about Taylor. Perhaps they value his first-hand experience working with Flip and hope he can continue the old coach’s methods.

On the flip side (no pun intended), the concern is that the Eagles could be valuing their own guys too highly.

Taylor will be tasked with helping 2017 MVP candidate Carson Wentz round back into form as the franchise quarterback recovers from an ACL injury. We’ll see how that goes.

In the meantime, there’s been no word on who will replace Frank Reich as the new Eagles offensive coordinator. Maybe Groh didn’t get the quarterbacks coach job because he’s slated to become the OC instead? But then what happens with Duce Staley, who has also been rumored to fill the vacancy? Something to keep an eye on.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Very INTER----esting!

Comment

This move is about continuity. Wentz, Sudfield and Foles worked with both Diflippo and Taylor (as Taylor was the assistant QB coach). Move makes sense. I keep hearing the name GJKinne wonder if he will replace Taylor as teh assistant QB coach?
      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
        This move is about continuity. Wentz, Sudfield and Foles worked with both Diflippo and Taylor (as Taylor was the assistant QB coach). Move makes sense. I keep hearing the name GJKinne wonder if he will replace Taylor as teh assistant QB coach?
        I agree. I think they are going for consistency, which is a good call IMO. A more seasoned QB coach may try and implement his own style.

I would also bet that Carson (and maybe Nick) were consulted on the decision as well. After all, they are going to need to buy in to the new coach.

A couple of tidbits about Taylor. He was a college QB and won back-to-back JUCO championships. Transferred to Marshall and was backup QB his last 2 years. In 2011, he coached GJ Kinne at Tulsa (interesting). Taylor is 10 yeas younger than Coach Flip FWIW.

Comment

I just don't want to lose Groh. He's done one hell of a job and is a real detail guy. I hope that he's not out there interviewing.

Comment

I will say this, in every post about new coaches or promotions, .............. Doug has earned the right to have our trust in whomever he chooses.

He has earned the benefit of the doubt, in my book anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
              I will say this, in every post about new coaches or promotions, .............. Doug has earned the right to have our trust in whomever he chooses.

Let's face it, it's not like any of us know what the hell we're talking about anyway! It's just a lot of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post

Agree 100%.
                Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                Hope is not a strategy
                RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                  I just don't want to lose Groh. He's done one hell of a job and is a real detail guy. I hope that he's not out there interviewing.
                  Did you see the SI story on Pederson, Reich, and Groh?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/11/ea...mqb-peter-king

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
                    Did you see the SI story on Pederson, Reich, and Groh?

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/11/ea...mqb-peter-king
                    Loved it TP. Thanks for posting!

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                      Groh is under contract so we won't lose him. Actually the rest of the staff is under contract so we won't lose anyone else unless the Eagles give them permission to move on. Which is some cases could happen.
                      Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
                        Groh is under contract so we won't lose him. Actually the rest of the staff is under contract so we won't lose anyone else unless the Eagles give them permission to move on. Which is some cases could happen.
                        Good, the less moving parts the better. I'm sure Doug doesn't want to lose him so maybe he does get the OC job to keep him in house.

Comment

Working...
                        X