Guys on the IR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guys on the IR

Does anyone know if the guys on the IR are allowed to practice with the team? Were Gocong or Bloom allowed to run actual plays with the rest of the team during the year? I realize that they probably did a lot of studying and a lot of work to stay in shape, but being on the field is where they will really learn.

Re: Guys on the IR

Originally posted by Browser
    Does anyone know if the guys on the IR are allowed to practice with the team? Were Gocong or Bloom allowed to run actual plays with the rest of the team during the year? I realize that they probably did a lot of studying and a lot of work to stay in shape, but being on the field is where they will really learn.
    I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that they can work-out at at the facility, but they can't practice. (Is that right?) I think the logic is that if they are healthy enough to practice, they shouldn't have been put on IR. That way teams can't essentially use IR as a means of keeping players (usually rookies) who aren't really injured without them taking up a roster spot.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal
      I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that they can work-out at at the facility, but they can't practice. (Is that right?) I think the logic is that if they are healthy enough to practice, they shouldn't have been put on IR. That way teams can't essentially use IR as a means of keeping players (usually rookies) who aren't really injured without them taking up a roster spot.
      I thing you are probably right. But isn't that essentially what they did with Bloom & Gocong? They put them on IR to essentially not cut them before they had a chance to see what they had.

Comment

I believe they can use the facilities and staff for rehab purposes. They can do physical training and they can study films on their own. I don't believe they can do any training with the team under any conditions nor can they have any direct training by the staff. In the cases of Bloom and Gocong the Eagles had a very good idea of what they can do. They believed for obvious reasons that coming from their backgrounds and making the transitions that each of them had, it was best to give them a year to observe, study and build up into KR/WR and OLB shape respectively. Both are very bright, very motivated, top performers so stashing them with exaggerated injuries seemed a good plan.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal
          I thing you are probably right. But isn't that essentially what they did with Bloom & Gocong? They put them on IR to essentially not cut them before they had a chance to see what they had.
          Yes, but at the expense of not being able to have them practice with the team the entire season. That's the trade off.

Comment

They can't practice with the team that is about the only restriction. But, for instance Jeremy Bloom could catch balls from the Juggs machine etc. That will get him better prepared for next season
            Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Working...
            X