Pat Gillick is Crapping the Bed (OT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pat Gillick is Crapping the Bed (OT)

The Cubs acquire right-handers Rich Harden and Chad Gaudin from the A's for righty Sean Gallagher, outfielders Matt Murton and Eric Patterson, and minor leaguer John Donaldson.

* I am royally pissed off. First Sabathia now Harden. Phillies sit back and watch as always. Crap infested crap.

I know this is the Eagles board. But more eyes here. Stupid Phillies.
    Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
    Playoff Appearances:
    NFC Title Games:
    Super Bowl Titles:

Re: Pat Gillick is Crapping the Bed (OT)

Harden is a bit of a risk. But, the Cubs just robbed the A's blind overall. When healthy (as he appears to be now), Harden is one of the top pitchers in BB. If the Cubs can stay healthy, they are going to be really, really tough to beat.

Comment

The Cubs gave up junk for a potential Ace. What do we get? If the answer is Paul Byrd...well I quit.
      Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
      Playoff Appearances:
      NFC Title Games:
      Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Have to compare what the Cubs gave up to what we would have to give up. A package similar to what the cubs gave up would have been

Kendrick
        Victorino or Werth
        Happ
        Travis D'Nard

That is alot to give up for a guy who can opt out and be a free agent at the end of the year. Its too much to give up for 14 starts.
        Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

a) If you win the World Series do you care if he opts for Free Agency?
          b) If he leaves via Free Agency you receive first round picks as compensation

Those players are worth fixing this mess of a pitching staff. That is NOT too much to give up IMO.
          Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
          Playoff Appearances:
          NFC Title Games:
          Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPHILLY
            a) If you win the World Series do you care if he opts for Free Agency?
            b) If he leaves via Free Agency you receive first round picks as compensation

Those players are worth fixing this mess of a pitching staff. That is NOT too much to give up IMO.
            Actually - Harden wouldn't qualify for picks. He's been too injured and doesn't rank high enough in the Elias rankings. BUT I believe Harden can't opt out. It's a club option in '09.

Comment

I agree that a SP is a huge priority for the Phillies. The Mets have underachieved all year and are only 1.5 games back. If the Phillies are serious they need to get a starting staff that isn't a joke.

Comment

I'm not as confident that the Phils making that deal would have been a good idea Biggie. Yeah I want a top pitcher - I'm STILL waiting for the big time pitcher we were promised at the winter meetings when pitching was our "top priority". Remember this quote by Amaro?

"Our priority is still pitching," assistant general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said early last week. "Everything we're trying to do revolves around that."

A return by Shilling? Nope. Maybe a Philly encore for Randy Wolf? Nah. The signing of Erik Bedard? - nope that didn't happen ether. But I'm still here waiting for them to make good on the promise of fixing their pitching problems.

But if we would have given up anything like Victorino, Happ and Kendrick for Harden - a guy who can bail out next year and who brings with him a long list of perpetual injuries and missed time, then I would have been seriously pissed off. Yeah I want the pitching fixed in a big way, but I want it to happen for the long term and for someone that I think will be on the roster in September and not in the trainers room or rehabbing from an injury in Reading. Trading away quality players for a shot this year with the possibility of having to do it all over again next season is a terrible way to go IMO. We talk about this often enough about the Eagles. Being a perennial contender means making moves count towards the future so the rent-a-player attitude doesn't sit well with me to start with, but for a guy who may not even be able to stay healthy for THIS season - it makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

We had this same basic conversation last year when we all agreed that they needed another starter and someone to keep 6 fingers Alfonseca off the mound. Let's focus on solving the problem long term so we're not having this conversation again NEXT season too.
                Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

FWIW, here in Seattle we've been hearing lots of rumors that the Phils will make a trade for Bedard. So help might be on the way...
                  The definition of insanity is to continually repeat the same action and expect different results.

Thus the Redskins and their fans are, by definition, insane.

Comment

Originally posted by crazy like the monkey
                    FWIW, here in Seattle we've been hearing lots of rumors that the Phils will make a trade for Bedard. So help might be on the way...
                    He has been the guy I thought we would end up with. Had real good stuff while with Balto.

Comment

The Mariners also placed opening-day starter Erik Bedard on the 15-day disabled list with stiffness in his left shoulder. The move, retroactive to July 5, means Bedard will be eligible to return on July 20—and will miss some chances to be showcased for teams interested in possibly trading for him before the July 31 deadline for deals without waivers. Bedard has just six wins in 15 starts and has not pitched since going five innings on July 4, extending his trend of not being able to pitch deep into games.

Comment

Working...
                      X