No announcement yet.

Music Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good luck with that Modest Mouse show, Arch. I'm in agreement with you on their growth as a band - I didn't like them at all initially, but feel like they've gotten better and better with each new album. I saw them live for the first time last December and it was a bit underwhelming. What's the size of the venue they're playing in NYC? The gig we saw was an arena show (local boys made good and all that), and the venue seemed a little oversized for their sound.
    The definition of insanity is to continually repeat the same action and expect different results.

Thus the Redskins and their fans are, by definition, insane.

Comment

• Originally posted by betty
      also, i just got an advanced copy of the new Shins album. i've only listened to a few songs thus far, but it sounds just like a shins album should. pretty good thus far.
      I've listened to their first single, "Phantom Limb" and it sounds good.

Comment

• LONG LIVE THE "D".

Although tongue-in-cheek in their music, I downloaded and love the latest Tenacious "D" offering - "The Pick of Destiny"

Comment

• Make your votes count. WXPN does a top albums of the year as voted by their listeners. Their list usually incorporates many of the same bands we discuss here. Feel free to cast your vote.

http://www.xponentialmusic.org/top50_2006/

Comment

• Originally posted by stevemc
            Speaking of Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - January 30th is the tentative release date for their 2nd, yet to be titled, album:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/n ... alk_New_LP
            Update

Two new tracks posted on http://www.clapyourhandssayyeah.com to hear and an additional track at their myspace site.

Comment

since VFK can do it - so will I (the "in no particular order as of yet" listing)

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever people say I am. . . .
              Editors - The Back Room
              The Fray - How to Save a Life
              Gomez - How We Operate
              Jenny Lewis & the Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat
              Keane - Under the Iron Sea
              The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldiers
              RHCP - Stadium Arcadium
              Tom Yorke - The Eraser
              Updated:

Artic Monkeys
              Editors
              Gomez
              Jenny Lewis
              The Raconteurs
              Thom Yorke
              Beck - The Information
              Silversun Pickups - Carnavas
              TV On the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain
              Yo La Tengo

Comment

• You know what album is growing on me tremendously in the past month? (and I'm ashamed to say I just got it like 3 months ago...) Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys.

It's really excellent. I didnt even realize they were more than just Beach Blanket Bingo Bullshit but Pet Sounds was on so many best of lists I had to check it out.

Comment

• Originally posted by sfphillyfan
                  You know what album is growing on me tremendously in the past month? (and I'm ashamed to say I just got it like 3 months ago...) Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys.

It's really excellent. I didnt even realize they were more than just Beach Blanket Bingo Bullshit but Pet Sounds was on so many best of lists I had to check it out.
                  I've always been curious about it and never took the plunge. I may need to now.

Comment

• It's so weird that it's just quality great songwriting cause when I think of Beach Boys I think California Girls and Surfin' USA which are just terrible pop songs.

Comment

You know what album is growing on me tremendously in the past month? (and I'm ashamed to say I just got it like 3 months ago...) Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys.

Go buy Smile...it will blow your socks off...

Although I love Pet Sounds...
                      Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan

You have never heard Pet Sounds or just never bought it?

-Andy Reid

Comment

It's so weird that it's just quality great songwriting cause when I think of Beach Boys I think California Girls and Surfin' USA which are just terrible pop songs.
                          It is a very common mis-conception...

McCartney has admitted many times that The Beatles were scared stiff by the quality of Pet Sounds which forced them to dig deep and pull off Sgt. Peppers in response...

That, in turn forced Brian Wilson to dig even deeper and try Smile...unfortunately he cracked during its creation and only finally finished it last year...if it had been released in 1968 as planned The Beatles may not have had an answer IMO...

McCartney always said Wilson was a hero of theirs and their main competition....thats pretty damn high praise IMO...

-Andy Reid

Comment

• Interesting. I'm gonna have to give Smile a try.

Comment

• Be careful there are alot of bogus or bootlegged versions of Smile out there...make sure you get the one released in 2004 version that has the cover like this:

Also, I was mistaken on the 1968 date, it actually was scheduled to be released in 1967 pretty soon after Peppers.

-Andy Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by Vote for Kalas
                                Originally posted by stevemc
                                Originally posted by sfphillyfan

You have never heard Pet Sounds or just never bought it?
                                Heard it, never bought it and to be honest - I haven't listened to it in its entirety.

Vin - thanks - I can't get your link yet - I'll get it tomorrow if that's OK.

Comment

Working...
                                X