Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk about a nightmare scenario-Douglas to Giants

NFL executives name Eagles’ Joe Douglas as a top general manager candidate
    Will the Eagles lose one of their top personnel guys?
    by Brandon Lee Gowton@BrandonGowton Dec 5, 2017, 4:28pm EST

The downside to being one of the NFL’s best teams is that other teams will look to poach members from your organization. The Philadelphia Eagles have a number of assistant coaches who could be hired away this offseason, for example. (We’ll have more on that here at BGN tomorrow.)

But coaches aren’t the only members of the franchise who can be poached. There are also front office executives. This consideration is relevant when it comes to Eagles vice president of player personnel Joe Douglas.

Peter King notes that Douglas is currently viewed as one of the top three general manager candidates in the league. Bold emphasis is mine:

I asked four current NFL executives, two of whom have been in the GM market in the last three seasons, about candidates. The three most common names: George Paton, the affable assistant GM for Minnesota who has been an oft-interviewed candidate; rising star Eliot Wolf, Green Bay’s director of football operations and the son of Hall of Famer Ron Wolf; and Eagles VP of player personnel Joe Douglas, who made his bones scouting for the Ravens and is vital to Philly’s recent success.
    We don’t necessarily know exactly what moves Douglas has made since being hired by the Eagles in May 2016, but we do know he’s contributed to the Eagles’ success. Douglas is the one who’s responsible for setting Philadelphia’s draft board, though Eagles executive vice president of football operations Howie Roseman ultimately has final say on all personnel decisions.

The Roseman and Douglas relationship has been fruitful so far. The Eagles have gone 17-11 since Douglas was hired.

It’s possible Douglas could use his success with Philly to springboard himself into a more traditional general manager role where he is the one with final say on personnel decisions.

It sounds like Douglas might already be generating some interest from a division rival.

Chris Carlin

@ChrisCarlin
    Had to happen. Clean house early and begin evaluation of potential candidates. A name you’ll hear a lot for #Giants GM — Joe Douglass — Player Personnel Director from the #Eagles. With their success this year, it’s bound to come up.
    12:01 PM - Dec 4, 2017
    30 30 Replies 4 4 Retweets 44 44 likes
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    Imagine if Douglas went to the Giants and he brought Eagles quarterback coach John DeFilippo with him as New York’s new head coach? I’m sorry for even bringing it up.

It’s quite possible Douglas is content with his role in Philly (for now, at least). The Eagles will be bound to offer him a lot of rea$on$ to stay if they feel he’s truly vital to their success.

Something to keep an eye on this offseason, though, as GM vacancies start to open up across the league.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

This would totally suck balls.

That four year window just changed to this year.

Comment

Originally posted by WCPhan View Post
      This would totally suck balls.

That four year window just changed to this year.
      If I were Luri I wouldn't give him permission to talk to them.

Comment

pay the man, let him know how important he is to the team
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I don't think Joe is comfortable being the man out in front. He rarely talks to the media and when he does he is shy. That is why Howie is out there talking. I think Joe is the wind beneath Howies Wings with the moves. They make a good team and I am not so sure Joe would want to leave here to go to New York where the media would eat him up.
          Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz View Post
            I don't think Joe is comfortable being the man out in front. He rarely talks to the media and when he does he is shy. That is why Howie is out there talking. I think Joe is the wind beneath Howies Wings with the moves. They make a good team and I am not so sure Joe would want to leave here to go to New York where the media would eat him up.
            A couple of things taz. If somebody hired him they would tell him that he would grow into the job which is mostly true. The thing that puzzles me is how scouting director qualifies you to be a GM? I really don't see the process. Wouldn't you work as an assistant first?

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
              A couple of things taz. If somebody hired him they would tell him that he would grow into the job which is mostly true. The thing that puzzles me is how scouting director qualifies you to be a GM? I really don't see the process. Wouldn't you work as an assistant first?
              I was thinking the same thing. GM isn’t just about managing the personnel- it’s the cap, contracts, admin, internal personnel, PR, community outreach, corporate communications, blah blah blah blah blah.

If he can get paid like a GM without the headache he’d jump at it

Comment

Working...
              X