Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible that Kelce is in trouble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible that Kelce is in trouble?

First we bring in former 2nd round pick and Center Wisniewski and say that he will compete at G

Then we draft Semualo who has played the bulk of his College starts at C and we say he will compete at G

Let's face it, Kelce had a rough year last year. We all made excuses that it was because of the loss of Herremans and Mathis. But....

Maybe this new staff is not all in on Kelce?

Am I crazy for even thinking this? Could he be trade bait today?

I don't think so Dawk. I just finished watching his game against Stanford where he played RG. He wasn't particularly strong at the POA, but he was very good getting to the second level. That sounds a lot like what Kelch gives you. To tell you the truth I was hoping that we would take Braxton Miller with that pick.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

With the exception of Johnson, I don't think anyone on the OL should feel entirely safe. We have brought in basically two guys that can play anywhere along the interior and another starting guard. The silver lining is that the new regime sees the same holes we do in that line.

I would have liked Miller too, but wasn't he gone?

Comment

Miller was chosen 6 picks later.

I know that Miller is an intriguing prospect but a guard was the safe pick to help remediate that weakness. They are taking a big chance on Carson and I wouldn't want their next pick to also be a risky one.

Comment

Originally posted by kyfred View Post
          With the exception of Johnson, I don't think anyone on the OL should feel entirely safe. We have brought in basically two guys that can play anywhere along the interior and another starting guard. The silver lining is that the new regime sees the same holes we do in that line.

I would have liked Miller too, but wasn't he gone?
          I love ya vet, but almost everybody on this board is vastly under rating the importance of Jason Peters. He's still by far the best player that we have upfront. We just have to find a way to keep people from falling on his ankles!

Comment

The nice thing about Seumalo is his versatility. If Kelce recovers to play as he has in the past, they move him down the line. If he struggles like last year they now have 2 replacements ready to go. Wiznewski is the #2 Center right now however

I did not like the pick as they could have traded down and still have gotten him in the 4th round. This is a case of them overrating someone. Not to say he is bad, just not good value at that spot

Comment

I don't think he's in trouble this year, but they did need better backups -- Molk is gone and they needed someone better anyways. Between Wisniewski and Seumalo they now have two guys who can compete for LG, and can backup center if needed.

Wiz is not guaranteed to be here next year at all, but with Seumalo, that is where the Kelce question gets more interesting. He would have a lot of dead money if cut this year, but next year the savings would be a lot more significant. If Kelce's level of play does not improve from last year, or regresses more or he seems to become more injury-prone, the Eagles have that option. Or if Kelce seems to rebound, then Seumalo can become the full-time LG, and still shift to C if injuries happen.

So... I think Seumalo is a hedge on the center position for 2017, but we'll have a year to see how things play out.

Comment

Good analyses, Eagles2K and FairOaks!

Certainly, Seumalo was NOT the BPA at #79. He may not even have been the Best Offensive Lineman Available (Garnett, Westerman, el al still there). They must have been impressed by Seumalo's versatility. He has played all 5 OL positions. Plus, he can probably still add some bulk to his body.

It is not a great pick, but a strong safe one that helps our team. It is tough to draft when you have few selections - especially when there are big gaps between when you make picks!
                "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
                  Good analyses, Eagles2K and FairOaks!

Certainly, Seumalo was NOT the BPA at #79. He may not even have been the Best Offensive Lineman Available (Garnett, Westerman, el al still there). They must have been impressed by Seumalo's versatility. He has played all 5 OL positions. Plus, he can probably still add some bulk to his body.

It is not a great pick, but a strong safe one that helps our team. It is tough to draft when you have few selections - especially when there are big gaps between when you make picks!
                  He's a coach's son too which also makes him appealing. Even if he were available a little later there has to be somebody who wants to move up to that slot. I'd say that the Birds wanted him all along as they drafted him. He may have been the BPA on THEIR board. Who knows? It's hard to believe that he would be rated higher than Braxton Miller though!

Comment

I thought I heard that out of Semualos 36 college starts, 29 were at center?

Yes he played other spots on the line. But never LG

I'm probably making something out of nothing. I just thought Kelce was real bad last year and his size (sub 300) may be a concern for an offense that will run less shotgun and run the ball up the middle more

I like the Semualo pick. I'm only speculating what it might really mean, regardless of what Howie is selling us on both him and Wisniewski

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post

I'm probably making something out of nothing. I just thought Kelce was real bad last year and his size (sub 300) may be a concern for an offense that will run less shotgun and run the ball up the middle more

I like the Semualo pick. I'm only speculating what it might really mean, regardless of what Howie is selling us on both him and Wisniewski
                      Hey, if the kid beats Kelch great! You're always trying to get better in the draft!

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post

I think it's a legitimate thought -- I just think Kelce is here this season at least and unless he is woefully inferior in camp he'll start the season as the starter. But I think you're right that the Eagles want to hedge somewhat at that position, in case Kelce does not rebound. His contract basically dictates he's here this season though.

Seumalo has played the other four positions. Between RG (basic guard skills) and LT (alternate footing), he probably exhibited all the skills he needed for LG -- not sure there is anything specific to LG which is not needed at one of those other two positions. So he could probably play all five. I think he mainly played RT/LT in college when injuries demanded it, which would suggest that you would really rather he not play there in the pros, but could in an emergency.

I'm sure the versatility was very important to the Eagles though -- we are saddled with backups right now who play much better at LG than RG; that is not helpful when dealing with injuries in-game or building a gameday roster -- they really needed a guy who could viably back up multiple positions. The need to infuse some youth and talent on the OL probably influenced things as well -- first OL draft pick since Lane Johnson. Those may have elevated his grade enough to be equal to other players available on the board.

Comment

You'll be a GREAT team when everyone is fighting for a spot
                          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Howie said he's starting out at guard and said they "targeted" him. They like his versatility and the fact that he's a coach's son.

Comment

Working...
                            X