Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did you ever hear of a guy named Craig James?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did you ever hear of a guy named Craig James?

Eagles have themselves a keeper in CB Craig James

By NICK FIERRO

Long before Malcolm Jenkins told Craig James the Green Bay Packers would be trying to win Thursday night’s game at the raw Philadelphia Eagles’ cornerback’s expense, James had already prepared himself for the eventuality.

As the entire team hovered over teammate Avonte Maddox, injured in a late-game collision with teammate Andrew Sendejo and waiting to be moved to a stretcher to be carted off the field, James didn’t need a mathematics degree to know that Maddox’s departure left the Eagles with just one other available cornerback, Rasul Douglas, with under a minute remaining and the Packers looking like a lock to score a touchdown that could force overtime.

Just in case, Jenkins reminded him.

“We came in talking about what DBs we wanted to put on the field and what the package was going to be,” Jenkins said. “Craig was ready, he wanted to go in, so I was like, `All right, you know where the ball is going. They’re coming to you.’ He was ready for the challenge, obviously. It was a huge play for us to get a win. ... No bigger moment than that for him.”

James was in for just two plays, a 4-yard run by Aaron Jones to the Eagles 3-yard line, and a pass intended for the man James was charged with covering, wide receiver Marquez Valdes-Scantling. James hit Valdes-Scantling as the ball arrived, preventing the catch and allowing it to carom to Eagles linebacker Nigel Bradham for a game-sealing interception.

[More Sports] Eagles need to get defense under control or season will be over in a hurry »
    “I couldn’t let him inside,” James said, “so when I [saw] him take that inside release, I just attacked.”

He knew he would have to make something happen.

“Everybody knows it, everybody in the stands knows it,” James said. “Everybody was like, `39,' so I mean, to me, it’s common sense. I knew they were going to come to me.”

Not a bad deal for a second-year journeyman who boasts twice as many career roster transactions (10) as games played (five) in his second year in the NFL and first with the Eagles.

But James has adjusted quite well to being relegated to the background. After finishing his collegiate career at Eastern Illinois (after transferring from Minnesota), James not only wasn’t drafted but also wasn’t signed as an undrafted free agent.

What he did get was an opportunity to go to the Minnesota Vikings rookie camp in 2018 as a non-roster player. He turned that into a spot on the roster and actual game experience (all on special teams) last season.

When he failed to make the Vikings out of training camp this year, the Eagles picked him up, and he spent the first four weeks shuffling him between the practice squad and active roster.

Now, after injuries to Ronald Darby (hamstring), Sidney Jones (hamstring) and Maddox, James not only has a chance to stick but also to be an important part of this defense for the rest of the season.

[More Sports] Eagles bring back veteran corner Orlando Scandrick »
    Think the 2019 version of Cre’Von LeBlanc, even if Jenkins thinks the comparison may be premature.

“I only got two snaps to grade him,” Jenkins said, “but he’s grading out pretty well right now after two snaps.”

No matter. James found a way to make an impact in a game that the Eagles (2-2) were desperate to win.

He no longer lurks in the background because he proved Thursday that it’s not where he belongs.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Wasn't he a running back for SF? Or was that James Craig. He is like LeBlanc or Hawkins or any of another number of CBs that have walked through NovaCare. He has an opportunity due to injuries. Whether he will show enough to stay in the league or whether he will be on the roster just until they find someone else to replace him depends on how he plays the next couple of weeks,
    Edit: but I will say he made a play that we needed
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Craig James was a RB paired up with Eric Dickerson at SMU and I don't remember where he played in the NFL. Our Craig James is undoubtedly headed to IR
      We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
        Craig James was a RB paired up with Eric Dickerson at SMU and I don't remember where he played in the NFL. Our Craig James is undoubtedly headed to IR
        The "Pony Express". James played great for the Pats and got then injured early in his career and was done. He later got fired from ESPN for constantly dumping on Mike Leach because Leach didn't start his son at wr. He got Leach fired over some phoney concussion situation and then got himself fired from ESPN for doing it. His kid was a real primadona by all accounts.

Comment

Man I thought Saints fans cried a lot. The DPI whining from Packers fans is ludicrous and sad. Even Fox hack Mike P took our side regarding the no DPI call at the goal line.

There are a lot of fan bases that I dislike. Packer fan is starting to migrate to the Cowboy, Saint, Patriot, Raider level for me... hate those fan bases.

Tonight at the Cowboys-Saints game I’m hoping for Ebola in the stands.
          You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
            Man I thought Saints fans cried a lot. The DPI whining from Packers fans is ludicrous and sad. Even Fox hack Mike P took our side regarding the no DPI call at the goal line.

There are a lot of fan bases that I dislike. Packer fan is starting to migrate to the Cowboy, Saint, Patriot, Raider level for me... hate those fan bases.

Tonight at the Cowboys-Saints game I’m hoping for Ebola in the stands.

I heard that if you have teeth they let you in for half price.

Comment

Working...
            X