Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Damn Samuels out with a leg injury already.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Damn Samuels out with a leg injury already.

Originally posted by FRESH
    I'm torn on this. Is 11 mill a year worth it for a guy with "Get Paid" tattooed on his chest?
    One note of somewhat-correction (I'm aware it's an old post, but still), from Wikipedia's page:
    Originally posted by Wikipedia
    Samuel has a tattoo on his left arm that says "Get Rich To This". It was widely reported during Samuel's post-2006 season contract situation that the tattoo said "Get Paid". Samuel's tattoo is the name of a Goodie Mob song that Samuel liked in college.

Comment

I've got your back Fresh. I've never really jumped for joy at the Samuel signing.

The guy is a product of his system. He's a good corner, but somewhere around the bottom of the top 10 rather than the top. He's never shown that he can be a man-cover guy which is what the Eagles primarily use. He is at his best when he can sit in a cover-2 zone and jump routes.

Nonetheless, I was pissed when I heard he got injured, as he will be a major part of the Eagles this year.
      Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Originally posted by FairOaks
        I'm torn on this. Is 11 mill a year worth it for a guy with "Get Paid" tattooed on his chest?
        One note of somewhat-correction (I'm aware it's an old post, but still), from Wikipedia's page:
        Samuel has a tattoo on his left arm that says "Get Rich To This". It was widely reported during Samuel's post-2006 season contract situation that the tattoo said "Get Paid". Samuel's tattoo is the name of a Goodie Mob song that Samuel liked in college.
        THat wasn't my post, it was Dawks....but I'd guess that the meaning is not much different. But Dawk is our NE expert, so I will defer to him. But Dawks question about how he will play once he got "paid" sticks in my head as well. It's funny, here we have Westy wanting a new contract and more money, yet I have no concern that if he gets a huge raise or not he will continue to bring everything he has to the field. Westy always plays like he has something to prove. Assante seems to think he's already proved everything he needs to.

LD, I'm looking forward to seeing how well Asante can do manned up in our system as well. Is he a good corner? Yep. But will he better at man coverage in our system than Lito? I'm doubting it.
        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Wow. Looks like the board needs the season to begin. The fans are testy, lets hope the players are too.

Comment

Originally posted by FairOaks
            THat wasn't my post, it was Dawks....but I'd guess that the meaning is not much different. But Dawk is our NE expert, so I will defer to him. But Dawks question about how he will play once he got "paid" sticks in my head as well. It's funny, here we have Westy wanting a new contract and more money, yet I have no concern that if he gets a huge raise or not he will continue to bring everything he has to the field. Westy always plays like he has something to prove. Assante seems to think he's already proved everything he needs to.

LD, I'm looking forward to seeing how well Asante can do manned up in our system as well. Is he a good corner? Yep. But will he better at man coverage in our system than Lito? I'm doubting it.

I'm not sure how you come to the conclusion that Asante "seems to think he's already proved everything he needs to". Is there any evidence to that, or is it just the way you feel? The only thing Asante has proved is that he's better at getting interceptions than Lito is. Whether this is due to his break on the ball (better than Lito), baiting the QB (better than Lito) or scheme, I think Asante deserves the chance to show what exactly he can do here before we decide he's plays like he's got nothing to prove.
            I gaze into the doorway of temptation's angry flame
            And every time I pass that way I always hear my name.
            Then onward in my journey I come to understand
            That every hair is numbered like every grain of sand.

Comment

It's my impression at this time. Just as my impression that Lito is a better man-to-man corner, at this time. Subject to change............
              http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

1. You can have the same Question about "ANY" F/A after they sign the "BIG" contract........... and all of them respond differently.

2. To automatically assume that AS won't be as good in our system is wrong IMO, when nobody knows the answer to that question. IMO, you "might" be able to tell if a guy will blossom in a system but you can't assume he won't, unless he has done it before and failed at it.

3. Anybody that claims one way or the other about how Samuel will or won't perform here is just guessing. Nobody here has seen the films of the last 5 years, the professionals have and they made him the #1 FA of the year and didn't hear one of them say -- "only if he plays in this or that system". Maybe he will fall flat on his face in JJ's system, but you can't assume that he can't play in it. That would be like saying "hey AR and JJ you guys have no idea about what your doing, cause I watched a few Pats games and this guy isn't going to be nearly as good in our system as he is there".

4. And JIMHO there is no reason anybody can say he is being overpaid, he got what #1 FA's CB's get.

Comment

It's my impression at this time. Just as my impression that Lito is a better man-to-man corner, at this time. Subject to change............
                  Seriously, how much have you seen of AS in man to man coverage? (Just asking) Hey you may be right, I hope you're wrong of course but you may be right, I'm just curious.

Because I have seen Lito the last couple of years get burned a bit in man to man, he started to seem to try and use catch up speed, after trying to bait the QB and get burned several times.

Personally I'm for having all 3 guys there, that in and by itself will make this a unique unit/ and it will change the role of all 3 guys playing, maybe they all get better, maybe they all get worse, maybe they set a team record for picks, and all 3 guys go to the pro bowl, who knows. Maybe they throw away from AS and Lito lights it up or Brown or the D-Line does so good that all 3 guys are just picking off wounded ducks all day ---- or the front 7 suck and it won't make a damn bit of difference who we have back there.

I'm still pretty sure (JUST my opinion ) some people take a personality they don't like and twist that into finding reasons not to like the guy on the field. I do that all the time with OD, CJ and God and others and I did it all the time with guys like Irvin and Smith. Just human nature I guess.

Comment

I've never denied my bias here, MD. I wouldn't do that. Sure it clouds my judgement. But my initial comments about not liking the guy have nothing, repeat NOTHING to do with is play on the field. I have in fact said that he could be very good. I think he will. I don't necessarily think he will be better than Lito, but that's not exactly saying anything bad because I think very highly of Lito.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN
                      Because I have seen Lito the last couple of years get burned a bit in man to man, he started to seem to try and use catch up speed, after trying to bait the QB and get burned several times.
                      Assante does this same thing, but it's much easier to bait a QB when your in a zone because you know you always have that over the top help.

Lito and Samuel have very similar games, but Lito's measureables are slightly better and he has already proven he can do it in our system. Certain types of corners are more suited to playing a cover-2. Usually the guys that aren't in the sub 4.4 range. Ronde Barber is the prototypical cover-2 guy. Samuel is somewhere in the middle of the spectrum and will do in both man and zone defenses. However, Lito when healthy is just a bit better. And that's the rub, I give Lito a slight edge in just about every category except for injury history.

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg
                        Originally posted by MDFAN
                        Assante does this same thing, but it's much easier to bait a QB when your in a zone because you know you always have that over the top help.

Lito and Samuel have very similar games, but Lito's measureables are slightly better and he has already proven he can do it in our system. Certain types of corners are more suited to playing a cover-2. Usually the guys that aren't in the sub 4.4 range. Ronde Barber is the prototypical cover-2 guy. Samuel is somewhere in the middle of the spectrum and will do in both man and zone defenses. However, Lito when healthy is just a bit better. And that's the rub, I give Lito a slight edge in just about every category except for injury history.
                        It's not only the "rub", but Lito's injury history trumps any measureable. If he's hurt 1/3 of the time, which has been the case the last 3 seasons, those slight edges turn into negatives.

Comment

And that's your perspective, and a reasonable one. But is Lito's injury history such that we should expect him to miss games this year? Like Donovan? If both are totally healthy, and I BELIEVE they are, then they are no more likely to get hurt than anyone else. I don't think either have chronic injuries. Lito had issues with his knee last year(MCL sprain, I believe), and prior, he'd had problems with his ankle. But he could very well go thru the season clean.

He's a big time playmaker. He's led the league since entering it in return yards per INT. Lito is a special talent and every bit as valuable, if not moreso, to this team that Assante. Regardless of what their paychecks say. JMHO.

Comment

And that's your perspective, and a reasonable one. But is Lito's injury history such that we should expect him to miss games this year? Like Donovan? If both are totally healthy, and I BELIEVE they are, then they are no more likely to get hurt than anyone else. I don't think either have chronic injuries. Lito had issues with his knee last year(MCL sprain, I believe), and prior, he'd had problems with his ankle. But he could very well go thru the season clean.

He's a big time playmaker. He's led the league since entering it in return yards per INT. Lito is a special talent and every bit as valuable, if not moreso, to this team that Assante. Regardless of what their paychecks say. JMHO.
                            qft

Comment

Cept AS was the top FA, not just top CB but the top FA this year and we couldn't get more than a 3rd(based some reports) for Lito. So something has to give... either that history really does a huge impact on his value or AS may just be a pretty good football player.

"IF", Just a hypothetical, "IF" Lito and AS were both FA's this year --- any takers on who would have demanded and gotten the better contract??????

BTW using return yardage stat maybe the least convincing argument I have heard here.

Comment

I don't want it to be thought that I don't like Lito, I do. But I like everything I ever saw of Samuel as a football player too. I'm not trying to make this an either/or, and I'm refraining from using the paycheck as a way of saying that Asante should be 10x better than Lito. The market for the best player in FA was set, and the Eagles stepped up because they think they'll match up better with the Boys, Giants and Skins. One person that ate the Eagles up is Burress, and they had to do something to try to remedy that.

Comment

Working...
                                X