Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want Darwin Walker back for a sixth round pick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want Darwin Walker back for a sixth round pick?

Pretty cheap but I think the bridge is burned

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills ... 87214.html
    Walker, acquired in the trade of Takeo Spikes to Philadelphia, wants to renegotiate his contract, which runs through 2008. If Walker does not report to the team, however, there’s a deadline looming in August for both sides that could bring an end to the impasse. Levy confirmed an NFL.com report that the Bills could return Walker to Philadelphia if he still has not reported by Aug. 5.

“It is true that it was written in the trade agreement that if Darwin does not report to our team that he would return to Philadelphia and we would receive a sixth-round selection in next year’s draft,” Levy said. “But we are obviously hoping that it does not come to that phase of the deal.”

I concur that his bridge may be burned in Philly. The loss of the 6th Rd and 7th round picks next year may be mitigated by the compensatory picks that may be awarded to the Eagles. If he comes back, release him.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess
      I concur that his bridge may be burned in Philly. The loss of the 6th Rd and 7th round picks next year may be mitigated by the compensatory picks that may be awarded to the Eagles. If he comes back, release him.
      I think your right Donte Stallworth alone might net a 3rd and at least a 4th.
      Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

I think that the Eagles would just release Walker if he reverted back to them.
        Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Originally posted by taz
          I think that the Eagles would just release Walker if he reverted back to them.
          agreed - they've moved on and spent the cap $'s they want to at DT at this point.

Comment

Walker won't be an effective player again until he gets his 'payday', although by the time he gets it, he might be too old. I really believe that his mediocre play last season was the result of him being unhappy about the contract that he signed early on w/ the Birds.

You remember that contract, the one that was given to him well in advance of him reaching free agency that gave him a nice signing bonus, the one that apparently the Eagles held a gun to his head to get him to sign.

Comment

Friday, June 1, 2007
              Walker may be soon wondering where he'll play this year

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              By Len Pasquarelli
              ESPN.com

Just three defensive tackles in the league own more sacks over the past five years than Darwin Walker, a proven and extremely active inside pass-rusher who has 26½ quarterback takedowns since the start of the 2002 season.

And it's likely that no NFL defensive tackle feels as unwanted right now as Walker, a seven-year pro who could conceivably find himself traded twice in a span of less than five months.

Darwin Walker has 26½ sacks since 2002, but may be left wondering where he'll be playing next year soon.
              The former Philadelphia starter was dealt to the Buffalo Bills on March 26 during the annual NFL meetings in Phoenix for two-time Pro Bowl linebacker Takeo Spikes. At the time of the trade, in which Buffalo also received a seventh-round draft choice and Philadelphia acquired veteran backup quarterback Kelly Holcomb as a pretty nice throw-in, Walker was attempting to negotiate a new contract with Eagles officials.

Cognizant of Walker's contractual demands, Bills management prudently wrote into the trade agreement an unusual stipulation, first reported by NFL.com last week. The caveat: If Walker, who has two years remaining on the seven-year contract he signed with Philadelphia in 2002, does not report to the Bills' training camp by Aug. 5, he will return to the Eagles and Buffalo will receive a sixth-round draft pick instead.

"They made the trade knowing that [a new contract] had to happen," agent Albert Irby said of Bills officials. "They were aware of where we stood on that."

The possibility of a reversal's transpiring and Walker's being sent back to Philadelphia and left at least temporarily in an NFL no-man's-land increases by the day. And it could well present a fairly intriguing conundrum for both franchises involved.

Buffalo, which has worked hard to upgrade the tackle position over the past two years, needs a penetrating inside defender of Walker's ilk. But the Bills' brass is not inclined to reward Walker, who is scheduled to earn $1.3 million in 2007 and $1.4 million in 2008, with a rich, new contract. The team's best remaining defender, given the offseason departures of Spikes, linebacker London Fletcher and cornerback Nate Clements, is right end Aaron Schobel and he will average only $2.67 million in base salaries over the next three seasons.

So it's not likely that Walker is going to break the bank in Buffalo and get the kind of deal he feels he's entitled to.

And the Eagles, one of the few teams in the league flush at defensive tackle, really have no room for Walker on the roster. And no real desire to have him back in 2007.

Philadelphia coaches plan to start a pair of former first-round picks, Mike Patterson (2005) and Brodrick Bunkley (2006), at tackle. The Eagles also signed unrestricted free agents Montae Reagor and Ian Scott, this spring. Second-year veteran LaJuan Ramsey, a sixth-round pick in 2006 whom the Eagles really like, has added 20 pounds. Philadelphia is so well-stocked at defensive tackle -- a position where it's always tough to achieve depth -- the Eagles released four-year veteran Sam Rayburn, a very serviceable tackle, a few weeks ago.

When the Eagles considered their defensive tackle situation back in March, they decided Walker merited the odd-man-out status. Nothing has changed since then. It will be an oddity, however, if Walker's rights revert back to Philadelphia, because rarely has such a good player at a premium position faced the potential of being so out of place.

And that could lead the Eagles, who had basically soured on Walker and viewed him as a habitual underachiever, to trade the seven-year veteran again.

Would there be suitors? Well, teams are always interested in tackles, but the Eagles would hardly be operating from a position of leverage in terms of demanding compensation. The last thing they want is to be stuck with an unhappy Walker hanging around. It might be easier to satisfy the Eagles' demands, though, than those of Walker, who feels, somewhat justifiably, that he has outplayed the contract he signed in 2002.

But there would almost certainly be a market for Walker, whose offseason might consist of being traded, untraded, and then traded again.

The ideal situation for everyone, it seems, would be for Walker to strike a deal that keeps him with the Bills, and Buffalo general manager Marv Levy said this week that is the aim.

"We are obviously hoping it doesn't come to the [nullification] part of the deal," Levy told the Buffalo News. But there is still considerable work to do done to avoid sending Walker back to Philadelphia.

"He's millions of dollars below any other five-year starter [at tackle] in terms of his average [compensation] per year," Irby said. "All we want to do is make a fair adjustment."

The Buffalo tackle depth chart, while not as good as the one in Philadelphia, isn't exactly a bare cupboard. The Bills have a group that includes Larry Tripplett, Tim Anderson, John McCargo and Kyle Williams. There is some concern over McCargo, a first-round pick in 2006 who is battling back from foot surgery, but hopes to be fully recovered by the start of camp. But what the Bills are missing is an interior player who can collapse the pocket, a guy like Walker, who has just one fewer sack over the past five seasons than the entire Buffalo tackle corps has produced in that period.

Without a player like Walker in the lineup, one has to wonder where the Bills will be able to get an inside pass rush. And if he's not playing for the Bills, a distinct possibility unless the two sides agree to a contract in the next two months, Walker has to wonder exactly where he will be in 2007.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer with ESPN.com.

Comment

Originally posted by SwingOnThis
                Walker won't be an effective player again until he gets his 'payday', although by the time he gets it, he might be too old. I really believe that his mediocre play last season was the result of him being unhappy about the contract that he signed early on w/ the Birds.

You remember that contract, the one that was given to him well in advance of him reaching free agency that gave him a nice signing bonus, the one that apparently the Eagles held a gun to his head to get him to sign.
                I agree 100%! Don't whine about being underpaid when you took the money upfront. He knew what the risks were and still took the money. Deal with it Darwin.
                FRESH > cancer

I hate everything the Cowboys stand for. If you think they are America's team, then you support everything that is wrong with America. The excess, the greed, the lack of maturity, the lack of responsibility, the lack of control. - Luzinski's Gut

Comment

This is what worries me with so many of these extensions to the youngsters, like we've just done. They are happy now, but in 2 years, if they turn out to be any good, they are gonna cause headaches.
                  http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

if they turn out to be any good, they are gonna cause headaches.
                    Has Walker though turned out to be good? I think that's where the problem lies. He believes he has, but we and the Eagles know he hasn't. Which is why there are headaches. If any of the youngsters turn out pretty good, I am sure we won't trade them, and I am sure we can redo their contracts if they REALLY deserve it. Darwin hasn't been exactly worth more than 1.3 million IMO.
                    "You will dress only in attire specially sanctioned by P.E. special services… You are no longer part of the system. You are above the system, over it, beyond it. We're "them." We're "they." We are the Men in Green."

Comment

I suppose you're right. If you want a DT that gets to the QB, Darwin has shown himself to be among the best. But as a runstopper he is very lmiited, to say the least.
                      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Do I want Walker back--no. But he is like many birds. The Eagles got him from the Cardinals for spit. He gave a couple of real good years with people (on this board and many others) raving about him and the steal the birds got. Now, it appears he peaked or felt he was good enough to coast and not work hard or whatever. People will beat him up a little on the way out but I won't be surprised if he turns in a couple of fair years for some team in order to show he can play (although he will have to do it for the money he makes now cause he isn't worth a big contract).
                        Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                        Hope is not a strategy
                        RIP

Comment

I find it strange that Iggle fans think Walker didn't earn his salary. He more than earned it as far as I'm concerned. He was the FIFTH best DT in sacks during those five years. He played along side the likes of Hollis Thomas and young DT's during that time. He IS NOT a run stopper, but he played well against the run for the past couple years......including last year.

I remember Hugh Douglas calling him out for his play in a game last year. Walker then challenged Hugh to view the tapes with him. After viewing the tapes, Hugh admitted that he was completely wrong about Walker's responsibilities in the run game. It turned out that Walker only had ONE bad play based on his role in the plays called. Hugh then admitted that it was the linebackers and DE's who were killing them in the run game.

According to an NFL PROFESSIONAL he is worth millions more than his contract. "He's millions of dollars below any other five-year starter [at tackle] in terms of his average [compensation] per year," Irby said. "All we want to do is make a fair adjustment."
                          So, who is right? Iggle fans or Irby?

I agree that Walker is no longer needed here, but I will not be like others and spit on him just because he is no longer an Iggle (or like some and spit on him just because his was an Iggle). Actually, I am greatful for what he gave us at such a bargain rate and for helping us bring TKO to the Birds. Maybe we can get a good SS for him in another trade?
                          Pedro

Comment

I'm not going to begrudge Walker taking a shot at a new deal here. I mean, it's not like he's got 50 million in the bank or something. His career is nearing its end and he'll never again have a chance at making this kind of money. If he can walk away with, say, 9 mil instead of 3 mil over his final few years, wouldn't that be worth making a bit of noise for? If it were me, I'd probably say it was.

Comment

Good post Pedro. I completely agree with you.

Comment

Working...
                              X