OT: Talk about an over reaction.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Talk about an over reaction.....

I know we live in times where the possibility of a threat is almost as intense as an actual threat... but this is a little crazy. Putting the school in lock-down because two visiting graduates didn't have hall passes? WTF are these people thinking? Come on folks show a little frigging common sense!! Take them into an office and question them if you think it's that big of a deal. Man think we're getting a little over zealous in how we are defining what constitutes a real threat.

Posted on Tue, Jun. 05, 2007 email thisprint thisUpper Merion High evacuates, closes; 2 ex-students arrested for trespassBy Tom Infield
    Inquirer Staff Writer

Upper Merion School DIstrict
    "The presence of 2 intruders in the building" prompted the evacuation and closing of the high school, according to an "urgent message" posted on the school district's Web site by superintendent Melissa Jamula, above.
    RELATED STORIES
    District Website: School to reopen tomorrow
    READER FEEDBACK
    Post a comment The 1,150 students at Upper Merion High School were evacuated and sent home early today after a teacher spotted two former students who weren’t wearing visitor passes in a hallway.

The former students, both 19 and both graduates, later were found talking to a different teacher in a classroom. They were arrested for defiant trespassing, police said.

The former students had no weapons, carried no “contraband” and were dressed normally, police Lt. Michael Martin said.

They were being held at the township police station for questioning amid what Martin described as “a buzz” in the community that one or both of them earlier had made some sort of threat — “not necessarily against the school,” he said.

Martin said police had not confirmed the existence of any threat. Police continued to search the empty building for anything the former students might have left behind.

Police said the teacher noticed the students at 7:15 a.m., 20 minutes before classes were to start. The teacher notified the school safety officer, who in turn called police. The building was then locked down as police responded.

A decision was made to evacuate the students to a nearby field. Students were then sent home.

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_to ... kdown.html
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Wow, I better watch out, I've been up at my old high school working out a lot recently.
    Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg
      Wow, I better watch out, I've been up at my old high school working out a lot recently.
      Leif, are you working out at Delran? If so, are any of the wrestlers in there? Anthony Saulle?
      Pedro

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro
        Leif, are you working out at Delran? If so, are any of the wrestlers in there? Anthony Saulle?
        No, I went to Maple Shade.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro
          No, I went to Maple Shade.
          OTA. That is about a mile from where I grew up and where I stay when up there (my brother's on Church Rd). I lived two blocks from the Mall.
          Pedro

Comment

Did you graduate from Delran? My dad was class of '78 I think.

Comment

Did you graduate from Delran? My dad was class of '78 I think.
              Boy do you know how to hurt a guy! Here I graduated nearby at Bishop Eustace............in 1959.

Comment

OK it sounds like there was more to this story than the first article claimed. Now they are saying that they knew this kid was coming to the school yesterday because he had sent a lot of students text messages and some of them were threatening. School officials said the kid was picked on a lot before he graduated last year and he seemed to have a grudge against some of the other students. In retrospect, grabbing him and closing the school was the right move. Good for them - the system worked the way it was supposed to! Good work!!
                Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Working...
                X