Westbrook wants to return to Philadelphia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
    leif I'm with stock and YPCM on this. I don't remember him being a whiner other than his last contract negotiation. Generally I think he was a solid citizen and team first guy for most of his time here.
    He held out of training camp in 2005, looking for a new deal. Got one.

In 2008, 3 years into the new deal, he lobbied for a new 5 year deal. Got one.

Comment

Never affected his play though. And as long as you don't affect the play on the field, I don't really care if you have a problem with your contract.
      Last edited by sfphillyfan; 03-14-2011, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Per RotoWorld...

Brian Westbrook was "miserable" in San Francisco last season, according to beat writer Matt Maiocco.

Westbrook was a bench warmer until late November, so it's hardly a surprise that he wasn't thrilled with his role. It sounds like he wasn't a big fan of the Bay Area, either. If the 31-year-old lands a contract this summer, it will likely be with a team in the eastern time zone.
        Per CSN Bay Area...
        http://www.csnbayarea.com/06/21/11/b...43&feedID=5936

RB Brian Westbrook: He was miserable out here last season, and he's not returning. The 49ers already have backups Anthony Dixon and Kendall Hunter behind Frank Gore.

Comment

Yes.
          Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
          Playoff Appearances:
          NFC Title Games:
          Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

If he is willing to play for little money and mentor McCoy and Lewis I am down.
            You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
              If he is willing to play for little money and mentor McCoy and Lewis I am down.
              * That's my assumption with my yes. I think Westbrook gets it at this point in his career.
              Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
              Playoff Appearances:
              NFC Title Games:
              Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Assuming he does OK on a physical, then absolutley. That is, if there is room on the roster. Could end up a little crowded there, but we have some major question marks.
                http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Bring him back. I doubt it costs much to get him back in green.

Comment

http://philly.sbnation.com/philadelp...-eagles-target

...The other ex-Eagle is of course Brian Westbrook. I recently re-watched his performance against Arizona from late in the 2010 season. He had 23 carries for 136 yards and a touchdown in that game. Going into the contest he only had five carries all year. He was buried behind Frank Gore. That night Gore got hurt and Westbrook took advantage of the opportunity.

His great showing did come against the lousy Cardinals defense and that has to be factored in, but I still think Westbrook can be a good role player. He remains a very good receiver and pass blocker. He didn't get banged up too much last year since he only had 93 total touches. There were no major injuries. Westbrook might be in his best shape in years.

The obvious question is whether the Eagles might have interest in bringing back either player. I'm sure Andy Reid would love to have McNabb come back, but the move doesn't make sense. McNabb wouldn't be happy in Philadelphia as a backup. With the Philly press, that would be a controversy waiting to happen. Maybe McNabb could return as a backup in a couple of years. It would be sorta cool to have him return and close out his career as an Eagle.

I can only guess as to what the Eagles want to do at backup running back. Jerome Harrison will be a free agent. There are rumors about Reggie Bush being a target, but we don't know for sure that he'll hit the market. Westbrook couldn't have stayed last year. Shady McCoy needed time out of Westbrook's shadow to show what he could do. Now McCoy is clearly established as "the man" at running back. Bringing back Westbrook is possible.

I don't think it is very likely. In recent years Reid has tried to find a big back to add to the mix. Draft picks Tony Hunt and Charles Scott didn't work. Free agent Mike Bell wasn't the answer. I get the feeling Reid would like a runner who isn't a McCoy clone, but is more of a complementary player.

The Eagles got lucky that McCoy stayed healthy in 2010. They need a better backup running back situation in 2011.

Comment

Is he too old to factor into the return game? Situational back has to be more than just a running back.

Comment

Working...
                      X