Dillard living up to hype

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dillard living up to hype

Eagles News: Andre Dillard hasn’t allowed a single quarterback pressure so far

Philly Voice

As the adage goes, “it’s only preseason.” But simply put, the preseason serves a valuable purpose: it exists partly to provide an opportunity for some of the NFL’s unproven players to make a name for themselves in the hopes of earning a roster spot. And along the offensive line, that early experience is all the more valuable, as the position has proven to be one of the most challenging for rookies to grow accustomed to at the NFL level.

Just last year, only three of the 18 qualifying rookie offensive linemen earned overall grades above 70.0. So yes, it’s only preseason right now — but a few of those rookies have already stood out, and the premature hype is justified.

Of the 35 rookie offensive linemen who have lined up for at least 40 pass-blocking snaps this preseason, three have distanced themselves from the pack by not allowing a single quarterback pressure.

A few familiar names in Philadelphia Eagles first-round pick Andre Dillard and Green Bay Packers second-round pick Elgton Jenkins headline the small group, proving early on that they can succeed against NFL-caliber players. Unexpectedly rounding out the trio is Baltimore Ravens undrafted guard Patrick Mekari.

Jenkins, Dillard and Mekari rank Nos. 1, 2 and 3 in pass-blocking grade, respectively, through two weeks among all offensive linemen with 40-plus snaps in the passing game. It’s a small sample size, but offensive line depth is hard to come by — and these three are showing off early in their NFL careers.

ANDRE DILLARD
    Dillard is no stranger to quickly excelling above and beyond his peers, ranking second among FBS tackles in pass-blocking grade (92.6) in 2018. He was a workhorse, too, as he recorded the second-most pass-blocking snaps among the same group.

Unfortunately for Dillard, the Eagles enter 2019 with PFF’s best offensive line — one that doesn’t even include him. Jason Peters will assume starting left tackle duties, but Dillard will surely be ready to step in at any moment should the injury bug strike.

So far this preseason, we’ve seen him face off against a handful of players on the edge, including Jacksonville Jaguars first-rounders Josh Allen (2019) and Taven Bryan (201, as well as Ravens castoff Kamalei Correa — now with the Tennessee Titans as a former second-round pick in 2016.

Of his 50 pass-blocking matchups, Dillard has been credited with a “loss” just once, otherwise stuffing Allen on three occasions and Correa on 10, among others.

If his early preseason success is any indication, Dillard may not be riding the bench for long come the regular season. Two impressive pass-blocking performances, and even a 91.6 run-blocking grade in preseason Week 2, will have the Eagles giddy to get him real playing time.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

The strong O line and it's better depth---- make me feel much better!

Comment

Everything works better with a good O-line.

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post
        Everything works better with a good O-line.
        And everything tastes better with bacon!

Comment

Not sure where I read this but this is taken from an article somewhere. Nothing I would be concerned about but interesting...……………..

"This has nothing to do with today's practice, and I don't want to make a mountain of a molehill, but one thing I'd be wary about if I were the Eagles is Andre Dillard's early tendency to pay attention to what people on the outside are saying and/or thinking. After the Jaguars game, Dillard, who hasn't spoken with the media since those skirmishes happened, just flat refused to talk about them.
          Practice fights happen. They have for as long as football has existed. They're really no big deal. It would have been easy to just laugh them off, or say that those things happen when you're competing, etc. etc. Flat refusing to talk about it felt like an odd choice.
          Also after the Jags game, on Snapchat (h/t Eagles reddit), Dillard bristled at the notion that he was at fault for the hit that knocked Kessler out of the game. In his post-game press conference, Pederson — as well as several current and former offensive linemen on Twitter — placed the blame on a bad read by Kessler, and absolved Dillard of any blame.
          Dillard has had a very good camp, and has looked good in each of his first two preseason games. His play has largely been well reviewed. I'm curious how he might react if he has a bad showing and real criticism comes his way."
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

Personally, I think it is smart NOT to talk to the media about anything... unless it is mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
              Not sure where I read this but this is taken from an article somewhere. Nothing I would be concerned about but interesting...……………..

"This has nothing to do with today's practice, and I don't want to make a mountain of a molehill, but one thing I'd be wary about if I were the Eagles is Andre Dillard's early tendency to pay attention to what people on the outside are saying and/or thinking. After the Jaguars game, Dillard, who hasn't spoken with the media since those skirmishes happened, just flat refused to talk about them.
              Practice fights happen. They have for as long as football has existed. They're really no big deal. It would have been easy to just laugh them off, or say that those things happen when you're competing, etc. etc. Flat refusing to talk about it felt like an odd choice.
              Also after the Jags game, on Snapchat (h/t Eagles reddit), Dillard bristled at the notion that he was at fault for the hit that knocked Kessler out of the game. In his post-game press conference, Pederson — as well as several current and former offensive linemen on Twitter — placed the blame on a bad read by Kessler, and absolved Dillard of any blame.
              Dillard has had a very good camp, and has looked good in each of his first two preseason games. His play has largely been well reviewed. I'm curious how he might react if he has a bad showing and real criticism comes his way."
              I wouldn't talk to those vultures either. Did the poor hack feel disrespected?

Comment

Certainly seems like a trash piece. Dillard has been nothing but a positive to this point and I love where he is trending.

Comment

"I don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill. But, this guy didn't want to talk to me, and I don't have anything meaningful to report, so if I were the Eagles I'd be wary about the fact that he didn't want to talk to me."

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglebreath View Post
                    "I don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill. But, this guy didn't want to talk to me, and I don't have anything meaningful to report, so if I were the Eagles I'd be wary about the fact that he didn't want to talk to me."
                    Don't think it was anything like that. I think the bigger warning sign was that he argued back on Twitter (or maybe it was Instagram... some social media site) when some were criticizing him for the the Kessler injury play. He really *does* need to stop reading that stuff, and definitely not responding.

But, probably a molehill. A young guy used to using social media that now needs to learn to stay away. Sound like he's been really good on the field and would start for many teams now, so love the pick.

Comment

If someone asks you such a dumb question as that does it deserve an answer? Being silent is a hell of a better answer than "are you really that friekin stupid to ask me that?".
                      Last edited by Eagle60; 08-23-2019, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Love the way Dillard is playing. I feel very comfortable if Peters goes down that Dillard can step in and give us good play at left tackle.
                        Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

I'm ok with Milatta, Pryor and Dillard. The fact that they are all in the lineup together is amazing. Herbig (sp) has some serious potential too IMO. Wiz is getting cut IMO
                          We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                            I'm ok with Milatta, Pryor and Dillard. The fact that they are all in the lineup together is amazing. Herbig (sp) has some serious potential too IMO. Wiz is getting cut IMO
                            That's 8 MM. Maybe they put somebody on the PS and keep Wiz. I really think that they are going to carry 6 wrs so they have to go a little light someplace else. Maybe they just go with 9 in the O line? I can't remember how many that they kept last year. Maybe only 8?? You certainly can't go with less than eight.

Comment

Working...
                            X