Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long do we screw around with Mailata?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not going to make any judgement on the guy, because I don't see him in practice every day. I don't have any way to gauge his improvement, or lack thereof, since they signed him. I don't know what the Eagles have in mind. But, what I do know is this: I trust the coaching staff, and the scouts. If they feel the guy should remain on the team, I trust them. It really is that simple.

So, the simple answer to the question, how long do we screw around with Mailata, is as long as the coaches want to. How about that?

I will say that he should get a lot of reps in the preseason, so maybe after those games, we, as fans, might have a bit better of an idea as to whether or not he's learning to play.

Comment

I agree with you for the most part EB. The purpose of the thread was really to ask "how long do we proceed with the experiment?". I'm really just saying that if the guy can't contribute this year why waste a spot? If he can fine. He's no different than any other guy on the roster. As far as how good he is nobody else wanted him and we got him at the end of the 7th round so I think that he'll last longer than 5 minutes if we cut him LOL.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Now here's a guy who wouldn't last 5 minutes.........

Tommy Lawler:

I mentioned Matt Pryor earlier. He’s having another good camp and the coaches are moving him around. Here is a good note from Ben Fennell.

2018 sixth-round pick Matt Pryor is getting reps with the second team at left tackle, and as I think about it, he’s the only player being cross-trained right now at both guard and tackle. Not only that, but he’s the only player being cross-trained as a right-side and left-side player (most of his reps this summer have come at right guard). That versatility is hard to find. – Ben

Jeff Stoutland is a big fan of Pryor’s but this isn’t just coach love. Everyone at practice raves about Pryor. Can he get the job done in the games? The Eagles have a lot of depth on the OL so Pryor is fighting for a job.

Comment

He's on the roster this year for sure. It was always going to be a two-year project, most likely. With Dillard unexpectedly becoming available, Mailata is now being cross-trained at RT. In other words, all the muscle memory he'd built up at LT now needs to be reversed, for a guy who never played football before last year. Of course he was not going to look as good. It really would have been best for him to learn one position for now, but things happen. If he had regressed at LT, it would have been more of a concern, but they likely now would want him to be a backup swing tackle in 2020 when Vaitai more than likely gets an offer elsewhere too high for the Eagles to match.

He was poor in training camp last year too (also unsurprisingly), and got better in the games. We'll see.

Comment

I think they have 9 guys that will clearly be on the roster and they might keep 10.

If they keep 10 it would be:

T - Peters, Johnson
            G - Saumalo, Brooks
            C - Kelce

Pryor, Dillard, Wiz - no brainers
            Mailata - I think he has too much talent to cut
            Big V - could be the odd man out but I think they keep 10

That means that:
            Fabiano, Render, Herbig, Bates, and Opeta are competing for practice squad or to get signed by somebody else.

I do think they keep 10 OL... that seems like what they normally do.
            You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

They are keeping Big V. If they keep nine, I think it would be Pryor (and an indication he did not improve from last year). Otherwise, keeping ten is a near lock barring injury, I think.

Comment

I'm hearing Wiz is not playing well at all, he's my surprise cut
                We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I agree on the wiz as surprise cut. He and Pryor have been the best bets to leave in my mind.
                  Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                  Hope is not a strategy
                  RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
                    I agree on the wiz as surprise cut. He and Pryor have been the best bets to leave in my mind.
                    Watch Pryor tonight ND. He's not going anywhere

Comment

I can't imagine they'll cut anyone. If they do anything, they'll make a trade. Douglas knows who Pryor is so I could see them making a deal. Wiz would be a great addition for a team that loses offensive line depth over the preseason.

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                        He’s had so much hype, he wouldn’t make 5 minutes on the practice squad. The Eagles would have picked LT this year no matter what. He was the highest rated guy and they took him. IMO they have a plan and they will ride it out. They can make him inactive on game day and carry a LB or whomever they wish. They can IR him and get him the training he needs. I don’t mind his situation at all, he might have more quickness than any lineman to ever play the game . IMO you get him as many reps as you can and allow him learn some of the nuances of the game. There certainly will come a point that he needs to show more , but JMO , as long as the roster is loaded and the team is doing well, let him absorb all he can
                        Exactly!!!
                        Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                        Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

I watched him through the first 3 quarters last night. Other than one speed rush and a bubble screen where he was lost I don't remember seeing him getting outplayed. For a guy in year 2 of football, I thought he did way more than hold his own. Perhaps others have more detailed analysis but last night was a good showing for him IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Vet Turf View Post
                            I watched him through the first 3 quarters last night. Other than one speed rush and a bubble screen where he was lost I don't remember seeing him getting outplayed. For a guy in year 2 of football, I thought he did way more than hold his own. Perhaps others have more detailed analysis but last night was a good showing for him IMO
                            agreed - especially considering he's been flipped to the other side of the line.

Comment

it is funny, the experts on Twitter said he looked lost?? But I think those guys are sensationalists. We aren't looking for the kid to start this year. We are looking for him to progress and maybe be ready to play next year or the year after.
                              You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Personally I think he showed ok, which is way better than someone in his 8th grade season of football should look
                                We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Working...
                                X