Whatifsports.com: NFC East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatifsports.com: NFC East

Thoughts? IMO, the Eagles are better than where they have them. But I am an Eagles fan

http://www.whatifsports.com/beyondthebo ... =20080616b

Re: Whatifsports.com: NFC East

I can't argue bout them being above the Gints or Cowpies right now, but the Deadskins?

Anybody around the league is probably going to look at our division and say that the Boys and Gints will be fighting it out for the division title. And that may be true. As an Eagles fan, I'm kinda counting on the Gints coming back to earth, and the COwboys self destructing somewhere along the line. But fortunately in todays NFL, going from worst to first in your division is not unheard of. We have a ton of question marks, but if most of them pan out, we will put up a good fight.

What ore the questionables that concern me about this season:

1. Top of the list of course, Donovan. Back and able to be healthy and productive for a whole season and possible playoff run? Probablilty: 50%

2.Tra and Big Jon. Can we get one more solid season out of at least one of these two? Probability 80%

3.. STs (Desean and other additions) Will STs be greatly improved this season, as they MUST be? Probablilty 90%

4. TE - LJ. Healthy and back to being a great red zone target that was such a weak point last season? Probability: 70%

5. WR - Will this season be more productive for this group with Brown getting it together for a whole season, Curtis repeating, and Desean being another legit weapon? Probability 60%

6. RB. I have to list Westy, as the possibilty of losing him to injury would GREATLY injure our offense. But my conern level is not as high as it might be with Bucky playing well, and Booker in the wings. RB will be fine...Probability: 80%

7.LB. Are we confident in this group growing and becoming a force? I am. At about 80%

I'm not terribly worried about the DL, I think it will be solid yet not spectacular. I'm also not worried about Dawkins, as I expect him to be anything but a liability this season. So, the things I listed above are the biggest question marks I've got, and as you can see I feel favorable about most of them.

Let the damned games begin!!!!!!
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

"Let the damned games begin!!!!!!"

Now that is something I can agree with. The only pitfall is I don't want to rush summer along as I still have a trip to the Crest coming.

As for the rest of the speculation that surrounds us.....who the hell knows. I always expect the birds to be on top but I just don't know.......frickn cowgirls
      Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
      Hope is not a strategy
      RIP

Comment

I like flying under the radar like this. The Eagles historically seem to savor the roll as the underdog, and flounder as the favorites. At least that's how it seems to me.

Regardless, the team was 8-8 last season, and they blew a couple of games they should have won. I think they are going to be improved in several areas this year, not the least of which is special teams, which were horrible last year. They also seemed to be more unhealthy last year than what it seemed from the outside. McNabb, Dawkins, Herramans, Lito, etc...Plus we had some guys like Jackson at center that plain underachieved last year. If they can actually get and stay relatively healthy this year, I can't see how they cannot improve this year.

And let's not forget the turnover ratio. Last year we had a lot of plain old bad luck in that department. The ball did not bounce our way, and we blew a lot of opportunities by dropping picks and whatnot. Hopefully what goes around comes around this year. No team is going to be successful if they are way on the losing end of the turnover stat, which is where we were last year.

I also agree that I don't mind being behind the Boys and Giants in these polls. But the Redskins?? I don't see that at all either.

Comment

I can live with the Cowboys and Giants pick although to actually put the Cowboys could go 15-1 is just plain stupid but the Skins? With a new coach and OC again? Still without a pass rush and a new DC? That's just plain silly.
          I miss Philly!

Comment

You have to base the eagles this year on what it looks like based on how we started to play when the pieces were all in place ie, a healthy McNabb which clearly should put us above the redskins. Still you can't take anything away form the giants or cowboys. I like the underdog position actually. I think it puts a mental chip on the shoulders of these proud veterans. The more of this kind of stuff I think the better. Perhaps the prognosticators see the eagles as an 8-8 teams in decline of our glory years in a division that has become very tough. McNabb's dependability is what's in question if people felt certain that he would be healthy all year there's no way were not in the race at the end.

Comment

That's laughable. Absolutely laughable.
              Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
              Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Last year at this time the Giants were coming off an 8-8 season where they collapsed and limped into the playoffs and got beat, and were an afterthought going into the 2007 season.

Conversely, the Eagles were looked at as being a genuine threat for the Super Bowl after narrowly losing to New Orleans in the divisional round and getting their QB back.

Comment

The thing I hate about these national analysts is that they watch only a few games from each team and then base the rest of their assessment on stats.
                  Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin
                    That's laughable. Absolutely laughable.
                    I agree...alot of "what-ifs" here...lol

The myth the Eagles only won because the division & conference was weak lives on...such a crock as we have shown on this board.

The Cowboys secondary is a weakness as is their OL and without Glenn their WR corps is not elite IMO. The Giants got hot at the right time, but as was said above were 8-8 the year before and have several weaknesses. The Redskins definitely have problems and have a new inexperienced coach/staff.

The Eagles have undergone a transition since the SB appearance and are almost there again. The defense has been completely re-built outside of Dawkins who could play until he is 43 on my team. The offense has also been re-built, but struggled a bit more and suffered alot of injuries each season. Offense is tougher to re-build, but if we can get good team health for the first year since 2004 (a main reason we finally broke through to the SB), I believe we can compete with any team around.

The main issue for me remains ST. We still do not know if we have a KR/PR. We still have questions about our P. We have some issues with our K. Our coverage units were horrible last season and injuries caused us to promote several key ST guys to starters. Reid has focused on this area during this off-season, the Eagles have always put emphasis on ST and hopefully we will have better results. This is the area IMO that could hold us back again if things do not pan out.
                    Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Gotta figure that Segrest is being spotlighted this season. STs have sucked, and we put a lot of resources towards that phase this offseason, so am sure the Eagles EXPECT great improvement. If not, he's toast.
                      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I defy anyone to watch all 16 Eagles games and all 16 Giants games from the 2008 regular season and tell me that the Giants were clearly superior.

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
                          Gotta figure that Segrest is being spotlighted this season. STs have sucked, and we put a lot of resources towards that phase this offseason, so am sure the Eagles EXPECT great improvement. If not, he's toast.
                          Has Andy ever canned an assistant? This is a serious question; I can't remember him ever pulling the plug on a coach.
                          Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

Not that I can recall. Most of the movement out the door seems to happen in the office......

Comment

Working...
                            X