OT: Any Mathmeticians out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Any Mathmeticians out there?

Not sure exactly why but this problem seems to be stumping forums everywhere. How well do you know your order of operations?

48รท2(9+3) =
    Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Oh and just as a warning, apparently this problem is more flammable than any political debate. I just may very well break the interwebs.

Comment

Looks like the answer is 2 to me. It's basic algebra that people don't know because of modern calculaters I guess.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

2 to me.

parens first then my dear aunt sally.

Comment

Answer is 288.

Edit: Once you add the 9+3 the ()'s drop and it becomes 48/2*12. At that point you just move left to right because division and multiplication take the same order of precedence in PEMDAS.

But just take a look at this and you can see how virulent of a topic this is.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
          Last edited by leifdawg; 04-09-2011, 01:46 PM.

Comment

It's definitely not 288.

Multiplication takes precedent over division absent the ().

Google is wrong because it does not take into account (). It actually artificially puts in the () when it shouldn't.

the first step is to add 9+3. Then you multiply it by 2. Then you divide.

The only way you divide first is if you put

48รท2 *(9+3) =

the 2(9+3) indicates that it's in effect 48 / (2 *(9+3))

why is this even debated at all? Someone email a math professor and get this answered.
            Last edited by sfphillyfan; 04-09-2011, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Many math professors have already answered 288.

48รท2 *(9+3) =

is exactly the same thing that I wrote. the multiplication sign is implied when you put the number right next to the parenthesis.

Multiplication and division have the same precedence.

The only thing that can be debated is that in some instances the "รท" symbol can be used to split the problem in half (numerator/denominator) and that is why it s rarely used past elementary arithmetic. But if you are just using it as a normal division operator it just means to divide by the immediately followed number.
              Last edited by leifdawg; 04-09-2011, 02:08 PM.

Comment

btw the google link I posted isn't for the calculator answer it's a search for all the forums that are debating this very topic.

Comment

I'm about 90% sure that the answer is 288, but I've been reading these threads since yesterday at work and once an a while someone says something to make me waiver a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg View Post
                    I'm about 90% sure that the answer is 288, but I've been reading these threads since yesterday at work and once an a while someone says something to make me waiver a bit.
                    c

Unless they've changed the rules the answer is 2. Can you change the rules in math? If you right your own book I guess that you can. That seems to be the problem here. As far as I'm concerned the answer is 2. If some squid who wrote his own book wants to argue about it you can tell him this old fart ain't interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                      c

Unless they've changed the rules the answer is 2. Can you change the rules in math? If you right your own book I guess that you can. That seems to be the problem here. As far as I'm concerned the answer is 2. If some squid who wrote his own book wants to argue about it you can tell him this old fart ain't interested.
                      I agree. I came with 2 as well and that's good enough for me. Screw these eggheads.
                      Stand for the flag you assholes!

Eagles, Flyers Phillies fan since 1977. GO O'S!!

Comment

Nothing has changed in math. If you were back in 4th grade you would probably get 288 rather quickly.

Comment

But seriously go read some of those threads from the google search I posted above. It is pretty funny that a debate about what would appear to be a simple arithmetic problem is be argued as fiercely as any religious or political debate I've ever seen online.

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg View Post
                            But seriously go read some of those threads from the google search I posted above. It is pretty funny that a debate about what would appear to be a simple arithmetic problem is be argued as fiercely as any religious or political debate I've ever seen online.
                            It's probably the fault of Global Warming.

Comment

I'm 100% sure it's 2.

Because if you intend for that equation to be 288, then you put the parens in.

Comment

Working...
                              X