No announcement yet.

OT: Any Mathmeticians out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Btw I knew this was some bullshit "trick" question.

Comment

The only part of it, that is a trick is that the ÷ symbol, is typically not seen in a problem such as this.
      Whatcha Gonna Do Brother, When the Eagles run wild on you?

Comment

If you take the equation the way it is written you get 288 as the order of operations are below.

terms inside brackets
        exponents and roots
        multiplication and division(Left to right)
        addition and subtraction

48÷2(9+3)(add 9+3 as its in brackets)
        48÷2(12)(Divide from left to right
        24(12) multiply

again it is poorly written, but if you follow the order of operations its 288. I do not think you can try to infer what the author of the equation was trying to write so you have to take it as is.

Most people try to infer the author was trying to write

48÷(2(9+3))

but again we cannot try to fix the equation or assume the author wrote it wrong. All we can do is go in the standard order of operators and get 288
        more fodder

Comment

Originally posted by leifdawg View Post
          But seriously go read some of those threads from the google search I posted above. It is pretty funny that a debate about what would appear to be a simple arithmetic problem is be argued as fiercely as any religious or political debate I've ever seen online.
          As much fun as it sounds to go and read math nerds 'go at it' I think I'll take a pass. You can represent the board in those exciting forums if you'd like.
          Stand for the flag you assholes!

Eagles, Flyers Phillies fan since 1977. GO O'S!!

Comment

Order of Operations Unit 7

Problem: Evaluate the following arithmetic expression:
            3 + 4 x 2 Solution: Student 1 Student 2 3 + 4 x 2 3 + 4 x 2 = 7 x 2 = 3 + 8 = 14 = 11
            It seems that each student interpreted the problem differently, resulting in two different answers. Student 1 performed the operation of addition first, then multiplication; whereas student 2 performed multiplication first, then addition. When performing arithmetic operations there can be only one correct answer. We need a set of rules in order to avoid this kind of confusion. Mathematicians have devised a standard order of operations for calculations involving more than one arithmetic operation.
            Rule 1: First perform any calculations inside parentheses.
            Rule 2: Next perform all multiplications and divisions, working from left to right.
            Rule 3: Lastly, perform all additions and subtractions, working from left to right.
            The above problem was solved correctly by Student 2 since she followed Rules 2 and 3. Let's look at some examples of solving arithmetic expressions using these rules.
            from mathgoodies.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zepster View Post
              As much fun as it sounds to go and read math nerds 'go at it' I think I'll take a pass. You can represent the board in those exciting forums if you'd like.
              I've been reading pages of this stuff since I found it at work yesterday afternoon. I came home from a party at 3 am last nigh and sat my computer for another hour or more reading it. I'm hooked. Maybe I'll email my high school physics teacher, he's the closest thing to an authority that I'm in contact with.

Comment

I've been reading pages of this stuff since I found it at work yesterday afternoon. I came home from a party at 3 am last nigh and sat my computer for another hour or more reading it. I'm hooked. Maybe I'll email my high school physics teacher, he's the closest thing to an authority that I'm in contact with.

I'm worried for you. Get well soon.
                Stand for the flag you assholes!

Eagles, Flyers Phillies fan since 1977. GO O'S!!

Comment

This is just a trick question ... if anyone was trying to show the calculation in the OP to illustrate a point or equation clearly, they would have either done this:

( 48/2 ) * (9+3)

OR

( 48 ) / (2*(9+3))

It's just an intentional trick question.

Comment

I wouldn't say trick question -- just a matter if you were taught that multiplication always comes before division regardless of order, or if you treat them as equivalent and process them in order left-to-right. One reason why it's good to always use parentheses and not rely on someone following the "rules" you think you know.

Some would rewrite the equation 48 * ½ * 12 ... and more obviously get 288 that way.

Despite the ordering of "MDAS"... my memory is that multiplication and division are equivalent, and the order of the equation becomes the order you perform the operations if that is all there is. Everyone pretty much follows all the other rules the same, so the question is basically geared towards that one order-of-operations question.

Comment

Ive come to one conclusion: The "author" is a dick.

Comment

I teach highschool math. In BEDMAS or PEDMAS, D and M are always performed in order from left to right. So 288 is the correct answer. Although at first glance, I thought it was 2 also.
                        Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
                          I teach highschool math. In BEDMAS or PEDMAS, D and M are always performed in order from left to right. So 288 is the correct answer. Although at first glance, I thought it was 2 also.
                          Exactly the only compelling argument I've heard to the contrary is that supposedly ÷ can sometimes mean everything after that is the denominator meaning the equation would really look like this.

--------
                          2(9+3)

which would obviously equal 2.

Was the original problem written to confuse and spark debate? Yes. Is there a clear answer? Yes, it's 288.

Comment

Exactly the only compelling argument I've heard to the contrary is that supposedly ÷ can sometimes mean everything after that is the denominator meaning the equation would really look like this.

--------
                            2(9+3)
                            that's how i read it, even if inadvertently.

To me the clustering of the 2(9+3) indicates it's all one section.

Comment

Working...
                            X