Just in-Wentz extended

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just in-Wentz extended

It’s done! Eagles and QB Carson Wentz agree to lucrative 4-year contract | Is he the new highest-paid quarterback?
    Updated 7:50 PM; Today 7:39 PM
    Carson Wentz will be with the Philadelphia Eagles for a long time.
    AP

Carson Wentz will be with the Philadelphia Eagles for a long time.

Comment
    6 shares
    By Zack Rosenblatt | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

The deal is done — Carson Wentz is going to be the Eagles’ quarterback for the long haul.

Thursday, the Eagles announced that they signed the 26-year-old to a four-year contract through 2024.

Ever since the NFL Annual Meeting in March, Eagles executive Howie Roseman and owner Jeffrey Lurie have spoken about their desire to keep Wentz with the organization, and they followed through with that on Thursday night.

Details of the contract are unknown as of yet but it’s expected to be one of the most lucrative deals in Eagles history and will make Wentz one of the highest-paid quarterbacks in the NFL.

Wentz’s cap hit for 2019 is $8.48 million and he’s set to earn approximately $22.8 million in 2020 as part of a fifth-year team option the Eagles exercised earlier this offseason.

“I can’t even explain to you how excited I am right now to be a part of this great city for many more years,” Wentz said in a video on social media. “It means the world to me ... from the moment I got drafted here, I knew the place was special. I knew they had the most passionate fans in the world ... and I knew we had the opportunity to do something truly special here.”

Wentz was the driving force behind the Eagles going 13-3 and clinching home-field advantage in the postseason, guiding them to an 11-2 record before suffering a torn ACL against the Rams in Week 14, costing him the end of the season, the playoffs, an improbable Super Bowl run — with Nick Foles at quarterback — and two games at the start of the 2018 season. Wentz was heading toward a potential MVP award before the injury.

He wasn’t quite as productive in 2018 as he recovered from the knee injury, and then was lost again for the last three games of the season — and two playoff games — after suffering a back injury.

Now Wentz is fully healthy and participating in Eagles OTAs, with some calling him a potential MVP winner in 2019 thanks to his bevy of weapons on offense and the Eagles’ stance as a Super Bowl contender.

The Eagles’ decision to lock Wentz up shouldn’t come as a surprise, especially after they let Nick Foles walk as a free agent. Here’s what Lurie said back in March ...

“They’re all complicated contracts,” Lurie said. “We’ve planned for this for a few years and all of our planning is in place to be able to … the blueprint is always: can you find a franchise quarterback? Is he going to be the personality and the leader and the talent that you want? We’re very, very lucky to have somebody like Carson, we planned for this and that’s exactly where we are.”

Embedded video

Philadelphia Eagles

@Eagles
    EXCLUSIVE: Behind-the-scenes look at Carson Wentz's contract "negotiations"

7:30 PM - Jun 6, 2019
    361 people are talking about this
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    This story will be updated.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

https://www.phillyvoice.com/eagles-a...-carson-wentz/

Looks like 128 million with 107 mil guaranteed. The four are in addition to the two he has so the total is six years 154 mil. Or so says Schefter
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Comment

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
      https://www.phillyvoice.com/eagles-a...-carson-wentz/

Looks like 128 million with 107 mil guaranteed. The four are in addition to the two he has so the total is six years 154 mil. Or so says Schefter
      Not too shabby

Comment

Just stay healthy!

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
          Just stay healthy!
          Amen to that

Comment

Originally posted by WCPhan View Post
            Amen to that
            Amen to the whole team!

Comment

Amen to Staying Healthy!
              Just give me ONE before I go!

Comment

Originally posted by j-bird View Post
                Amen to Staying Healthy!
                This ^
                Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

I doubt Donovan will approve, though

Comment

You have to back off #5 fellas. He's a good guy:

Donovan McNabb

@donovanjmcnabb
                    Congratulations to @cj_wentz and the @Eagles for extending their partnership . Great things ahead.

8:56 PM - Jun 6, 2019

On top of that I just can't believe anybody would think this was a bad deal because he got hurt a couple of times. Guys play and get hurt. That's the game. He's a special talent that any team would want to roll with. I can only think of a couple of teams that wouldn't trade their QB for him today. Maybe Seattle with Russell and Mahomes with KC. That's it and I include the Patriots with their 41 year old QB.

Comment

60--- I love ya, but there are reasons to have a tiny bit of caution when it comes to Carson.

He had a very serious knee, (and he depends on his legs quite a bit even in the pocket)he has (for the 2nd time I understand) a back issue!

He has missed probably as many games as he has played in (Just guessing)!

And as we know backs can be a bitch and they CAN be recurring!

Nobody is suggesting that we trade him or make drafting a new QB a priority---- but there are some justifiable reasons to be a little (a tiny bit) cautious.

Haven't heard anybody say it was a bad deal.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                        60--- I love ya, but there are reasons to have a tiny bit of caution when it comes to Carson.

He had a very serious knee, (and he depends on his legs quite a bit even in the pocket)he has (for the 2nd time I understand) a back issue!

He has missed probably as many games as he has played in (Just guessing)!

And as we know backs can be a bitch and they CAN be recurring!

Nobody is suggesting that we trade him or make drafting a new QB a priority---- but there are some justifiable reasons to be a little (a tiny bit) cautious.

Haven't heard anybody say it was a bad deal.
                        Yeah, I know. Those tall lanky guys can have problems with hits from the side. The back is concerning but when it comes down to it you have no choice but sign him. I'm not anymore worried about him than anybody else though but we all do know that the QB is ultra important. Maybe we should be more worried about our backup who everybody thinks we could get the farm for LOL!

Comment

Plus when you look at the contract it's a good deal for the Birds

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...comparison-dak

Comment

We needed to get the deal done now. The closer we get to a new CBA and higher salary caps because of gambling the more this would have cost. Once we get past the new CBA we will be in great position to add & renew players around Carson, assuming he stays healthy.
                            Fly EaglesFly!

Comment

Have to see once the true numbers come out on the deal (the reports are all over the place) Really the big thing is the signing bonus. I would bet Howie setup this thing up so it has option years which means if Wentz can't shake the injury bug they could get out of it. On the flip side if Wentz stays healthy this is a good deal overall.

The big thing here is we have our QB for at least the next six seasons
                              Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

Working...
                              X