No announcement yet.

Good Camp Report(s) Stolen from PE.COM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If we stay healthy at the key positions, our depth and quality on the lines will take us a LONG WAY. I just get the feeling that we have 7-8 guys that could start on most team's O-Lines and 5-6 that could on most teams D-Lines.
    Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Boy, Gocong must really feel lost out there. Having to learn a new position and adjust to the NFL at once is a mammoth task.

He is going to be a tough one to evaluate.

Comment

Sounds like CBuck is looking good, but who to root for, him or Perry? We know that Westy and Moats are going to be there. Will we carry 3 RBs plus a FB? 4? If healthy enough to play, I'd hate to lose Perry or Bucky to a numbers crunch.

Nice to hear the positive report on McCoy. think he and Barber BOTH might be nice additions to our LB crew this season. But I'm worried about SAM.
        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Let's keep em coming from these boards...
          Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
          Playoff Appearances:
          NFC Title Games:
          Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

Concretefield is Phreak's 'home base'. If i know my message board history correctly, concretefield was formed by disgruntled KFFL people. Anyway, CF is a good board in it's own right. I don't post there much, but i lurk there often.

Oh, and Phreak's TC reports are second to none!

Comment

CF is a good board, I read it alot and you are right, Phreak's home field as it were....he came over to PP last season and started his TC postings and hung most of the season off and on...

Great poster IMO, a JRJ-type...btw, where is JRJ??
              Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

Wed Updates:

 Gaffney- didnt look as fast as I thought that he was, but didnt have the dropsies that he had yesterday. I think that he will make a fine slot wr, but he is no burner
                 Hank Basket This jkid has impressed me both days of camp, he is a big wr and seems to have some nice speed, he made both hood and peoples look bad on two consecutive plays. With avant and bloom not being able to practice is going to hurt them because baskett looks like the real deal
                 Jenkins- made some really nice plays out there today, he looks like he is one ofd the taller wr's and has some nice hands. lets see how he does the rest of camp
                 Mccants-mcants make the team! this guy has hands of stone, little speed and unimpressive! Booooo
                 G Lewis looked ok, but I was way more impressed with baskett and jenkins thatn I was glew. I dont know if he is going to make the team
                 CB: Its hard to judge these guys, since there is no pressure on the qb, but they all looked decent
                 MAtt Ware had some nice hits
                 Sheldon brown held his own as well
                 Mcnabb looked really good, all his passes where right on the money. he looks fit and strong.
                 Garcia looked good as well his passes seemed the have nice speed and were accurate
                 K detmer. the guy shaved his head and is face, if you though he was ugly before, now he is simply scary looking. johnson was holding for akers while detmer just looked on knowing that his job is going to be history in a few weeks.
                 Full contact drills
                o we couldnt run the ball at all against the second team defense. westbrook took a screen down the field, I hope that we get back to that screen play, it always worked well
                o Moats. looked impressive. His only problem is that he has to hold onto the ball. he had another fumble, be it that I think roper tried to take his helmet off on the play
                Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                Playoff Appearances:
                NFC Title Games:
                Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

PhillyPhreak's 7/26 report:

Another day up at camp and another day when the crowds continue to shrink. The bandwagon is empty, folks. As I said yesterday in 2003-2005 the first week of camp was packed. It didn't matter what day of the week it was. Today was less than yesterday. I'll be going up again Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

It was hotter today than yesterday, thats for sure. No breeze blowing and the heat was getting to a few guys. It was another fun time up there and I had good seats and took my binoculars as well.

First, let's start with the people who I did not see out there today or were taken off due to injury or heat;

a. Pinkston is still not out there. We knew that his other achilles is bothering him and Reid said on Eskin that they are just taking it easy with him.

b. Quintin Mikell was not out there today. Maybe he has a concussion from getting killed by LJ yesterday, I don't know.

c. Lito Sheppard took part in the individual drills to start the morning session and then we noticed that he was not out there during team drills. He was back out there in the afternoon all suited up but did not do anything.

d. Thomas Tapeh was dressed out but he did not partake in contact drills or anything like that. He just did positional drills and watched.

e. Ryan Moats got hurt on a play where he bounced a run outside to the right. He was jammed up in the middle and bounced it out and got pushed back. He refused to go down and at one point he had 5 guys on his back and he was still moving his legs. When he finally went down it looked like he hurt his leg/knee or ankle. He walked over to the medical tent and then we did not see him in the afternoon at all.

f. Buck is still not taking part in contact. Strict non-contact stuff for him.

g. Tra Thomas did not practice in the afternoon

h. Shawn Barber cramped up late in the morning. Scared me because I thought he hurt his knee again. But when I saw him bending his toes up I knew he was just cramping up.

On to the observations for the day:

1. The player of the day today was Jerome McDougle. As I said yesterday he is in great shape and he has some explosion coming off the edge. He had 4 "sacks" in the afternoon session. And in the morning session he was all over the place too. One thing I notice about him is that despite losing weight he is playing the run well.

2. I am now convinced that Andy Reid is a different Andy Reid from years past. Not only is he more interactive and vocal, but he had a play clock out there today. He also ran the ball a ton in the morning session. And he was using handoffs to the fullback quite often. I counted 10 of them in team drills in the morning. He also is not afraid of voicing his displeasure. He yelled one time "Pitiful! That was pitiful! Do it again!". And in the morning session after the offense started slowly he was not happy. But after they took a water break and the 1's came back in he said "Way to refocus and come back and get it done, guys."

3. Speaking of Reid, I noticed that he pulled Greg Lewis aside late in the morning practice. It was a one-sided conversation with Greg and Andy was the one talking. I had my binoc's on them and Andy seemed to be gettin in his butt about his route running. He was motioning patterns with his hands to emphasize his point. It lasted about a minute and then Lewis returned to the sideline and sulked a little bit.

4. Sheldon Brown had himself a tough morning session. He was taken deep by Darnerian McCants (with Dawk over the top help) and McCants took it to the house from Garcia. It was a pretty pass and McCants separated well to get into the endzone. Brown also gave up some completions to Gaffney and Baskett as well. But they were both on their games today.

5. As I mentioned, Jabar Gaffney and Hank Baskett were all over the place in the morning. They were catching balls short, intermediate and deep. Gaffney looked solid when going across the middle and Baskett's height is something that is going to be used a lot if he makes the team. They threw a couple jump ball fades to him in the endzone and although he didn't come down with them (CBs broke em up) he is one helluva jumper (was a high jumper in school).

6. Reggie Brown, and I will continue to say this, is a stud. He had one drop all day that I saw and that was on an out route with the ball a little behind him. I cannot stop talking about how well he runs his routes too. No rounding the cuts off and no body catching. His hands are always ready for the ball and he gives McNabb a solid target each time. I think the Eagles might've got a WR pick right here, guys.

7. To elaborate on Reggie a little, another thing about him is the rapport that him and Donovan have. I watched Donovan and him communicating all morning long. Everytime them came off the field to let the 2's go, they were talking about something. Donovan did this with Hank Baskett a lot too. Donovan seems to be coaching them up and also finding out ways to get better.

8. LJ Smith was his usual self today. He made several nice grabs down the seam and also had one or two clang off his hands. He is running with authority though after the catch. I also noticed, and this is big, that the way he carries the ball is MUCH better than last year when it looked like a loaf of bread under his arm.

9. Matt Schobel mainly has been used as a short to intermediate guy. I haven't seen him featured on anything deep yet. But he is a little inconsistent so far. He had a few drops that hit him right in the hands.

10. In one-on-one drills Winston Justice was very good. He killed Jason Short two times in a row and was locking guys up well. He did get beat two times in a row by Darren Howard in the afternoon. Howard beat him inside and got across his face and "sacked" the QB and then on the next play Howard put an outside move on him and got another "sack". He looks good overall though. Nice footwork and good balance.

11. Shawn Andrews continues to impress me with how he can slide to the second level of the defense to seal off the LBs when making his blocks. He will neutralize the DL across from him and then be at the LB level ready to seal the lane for the back.

12. Todd Herremans is a guy who I tried to watch a lot of today. He is doing well. On a screen to the left he was the lead guy. He got out in front, squared up Simoneau and then destroyed him with a helmet on helmet hit. It was one of those where you hear the thud of the helmet and be glad that you weren't on the receiving end of it. The one thing I cannot get a real good read on yet is his handwork. I tried to watch it but just couldn't see well enough. That is my goal on Saturday, watch his hands and see how he handles the inside versus the outside.

13. Jamaal Jackson continues to do well. But he did botch a C-QB exchange today after doing so well yesterday. He is clearly the #1 C. Fraley doesn't even take reps with the first group anymore.

14. As a whole, the offense started off slow again today. Then they picked it up and got in a groove and finished out the morning strong. In the afternoon they started hot and then tailed off at the end of the day. Like I said earlier in the thread - they are running it a lot. And by a lot I think I counted 13 called runs versus 4 passed at one point. They are taking deep shots here and there but they are working a lot of short and intermediate stuff mostly.

15. The defense continues to impress a lot of people out there. They are fast and they are interchangable. They are around the ball at all times and even though they give up a few deep ones here and there, they are getting it done. They are still ahead of the offense at this time.

16. Darren Howard was excellent today. He took his great day yesterday and bumped it up a notch today. He was blowing past Thomas, Justice and whoever else they put on him. He lined up some at DT in the nickle and proceeded to get pressure from there too. I really focused on how he uses his hands to shed the blocks and keep the OL hands off of him. If you go up there watch this, you'll be impressed. His hands are so fast and strong that when an OL tries to lock him up he has already swatted their mitts down and is getting his leverage needed to get to the QB.

17. Mike Patterson, like I said yesterday, is already a technician when it comes to reading and reacting to screens or whatever the play is. His stout frame is excellent for getting under guys and then he drives them back. Or he'll get them going backwards or stood up on runs and that allows pursuit to close in on the ball carrier and make the play. He's quick off the ball. Very quick.

18. Dhani Jones, Greg Richmond and Dedrick Roper all worked 1st team SAM today. They are rotating in. So its not like JJ has handed Dhani the job. He's making him work for it and he has not impressed me at all. Remember this, and I mentioned it yesterday, watch out for Roper. I don't think he'll win the job but he's a pretty good player. His mark has been made on STs and he'll have to continue to do that. But he's got nice size and needs to take advantage of Dhani stinkin the joint up.

19. Calvin Armstrong is an interesting guy. He's built well enough and he isn't horrible but he's still a little too passive for my liking. He needs to be moe aggressive. He certainly has the tools to be a RT but can he get it done? I don't know. McDougle whipped him today several times.

20. Shawn Barber is in the nickle package. He was out there today and made a couple of plays of note. The first one being that he was stuck to Westbrook like glue on a swing route. The other was when he blew up a running play. LIke yesterday he took on the blocker and knocked him back and made the tackle.

21. Chris Gocong is still finding his way. There is no doubt he has the athleticism to play in the NFL. I watched him line up a bit at LB and also at RDE in the nickle on occasion. He fires off the line and his lateral pursuit is fun to watch. He has a nose for the football. On one play he was lined up at RDE and the play was a run off tackle to the right. He flowed down the LOS and ended up in the mix as the tackle was made. Who was running the ball? Ryan Moats. He almost caught up to him and ran him down. He will have to find his way as a LB though, guys. Have some patience with him because the raw skills are there. He just needs them refined and I think he will contribute. He is also on the starting KOR team as one of the lineman.

22. Ryan Moats was doing OK until he took a massive hit and caused him to fumble. Well he took two massive hits, but I'll get to the second one at the end because thats the hit of the day. He also seemed to hurt himself as I said above. I don't know who caused the fumble because I was focused in on Gocong on that play solely. But he took a lickin'.

23. Bruce Perry, one of my favorites, continues to impress. The guy runs hard all the time. None of this tippy-toe BS. He gets the ball and heads upfield. And when he gets the ball and has to turn the corner and get outside...he's very good at doing that. He also is the #1 KOR guy. Very impressed with Bruce so far.

24. JR Reed. Ladies and gentleman, if you make it up to Lehigh this year please be sure to give Reed a round of applause. What he is doing is remarkable. Not only was he returning some kicks today but he was hitting and intercepting and flat out playing football. His INT of McNabb was a thing of beauty. McNabb had a receiver on a deep route and it was a sure TD. Well it was until Reed came flying out of nowhere, dived and picked it off. The guy's nerve is still not grown back and you are hard pressed to see him favoring that leg. The only thing I noticed is that when he walks (and you have to watch real close) is that he has a little limp. He also will bend his foot alot when he's standing still.

25. Jason Davis is getting more notice each day. He had several runs today and caught the ball well. I only saw him lead block one time and he did OK there. But he can hit. I read a quote from Dawk where he said #42 can decleating people out there. Still think Tapeh makes it as the FB but Davis is a PS guy. Anyone remember Jason McKie? We had him in camp a few years ago and now he's with the Bears. Davis reminds me a little of him.

26. Brian Dawkins and Trotter are the emotional leaders of this team, no doubt. For the second day in a row Trotter was yelling at the crowd to get up and make noise. And he was talking trash to everyone who he delivered a hit to. Dawk is into doing little dances and stuff along the sidelines to get the fans going. Trot and Dawk were stretching after the morning session and Andy came over to them and they all talked for several minutes. I tried to see what Andy was saying but could not. But they were all laughing and joking around.

27. Koy Detmer stinks. Oh, he shaved his head and neckbeard off too. This guy will not throw the ball deep. And by deep I mean past the RBs. Will not at all. Thank goodness we have an experienced backup QB. He lets the pocket break down on him and he'll either run it or dump it off.

28. Donovan McNabb was sharp today in the afternoon. He threw a pick to Reed in the AM on a great play and a pick to Hood in the pm on a bad thrown. Well, I wouldn't say bad but he lead his guy too much and Hood had an easy pick. I believe it was on a ball thrown to Gaffney on a post pattern. I honestly haven't seen him make too many bad throws. Another solid outing for 5.

29. Bill Sampy has some nice hands. He doesn't get much work in the team drills but when they are doing one on oen stuff and position drills he made 4-5 very nice grabs.

30. JJ Outlaw is fast. He was fielding some punts as was Mahe, Wynn and Reed (towards the end). There wasn't a special teams practice today but they do periods of STs before the practices start so these were the only guys out there catching punts.

31. Speaking of punts...Reggie Hodges sucks.

32. Tank Daniels is interesting too. I think he might make a push for a PS spot. He was involved in a lot of plays today and I like his speed. He's a big guy. Consider him a deep sleeper.

33. Juan Castillo is always going 100mph. He coaches like his hair is on fire. He will not hesitate to get in a guys butt and he is always giving them technique tips and pointers. On one play he did not like MJG's effort so he told him so and told him to keep down and to make sure he gives the DL a good hard punch and to not lose his hands or get off balance. I think he is a very underrated part of this team staff.

34. Greg Lewis did have two great catches today. One was for a deep TD from McNabb early on and he made a one-handed catch in the afternoon.

35. Matt McCoy had another solid day. He wasn't blowin folks up like yesterday but he was still good. His read and recognition skills are much improved. And his motor don't stop running. Seriously I think this guy has an IV of Red Bull in him at all times. Active as can be and if he misses out on a play, he corrects and chases quickly. He overran a run to the outside early on and still chased the guy down.

36. Speaking of McCoy's, watch out for Pat McCoy to win a PS spot. He's got a nice build and he had some good one-on-one battles going on too. He had a few false starts, but he certainly looks the part. So include him on the list of Jason Davis &Tank Daniels a UDFA's to watch for.

37. LaJuan Ramsey made a few nice stuffs in live drills. He's an active DT and gets penetration well. I still believe that he will win that 5th DT spot.

38. Jason Short is not going to make it I don't think. He has been playing LDE and he's not doing that well. He was dominated by Justice and he doesn't get many reps there. If he cannot play another position other than being a badarse STer, he might be done here.

39. And now for the hit of the day...

Matt Ware absolutely blasted Ryan Moats along the sideline on a running play. It was a "wooo" hit, y'all. Ware got some more CB reps today with Lito being out and he didn't look too bad. He also played some safety in a nickle package too.

As always, please feel free to ask questions in case I might have left something out.
                  Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

an addition from the phreak:

I totally forgot about mentioning Cole. If human cloning was possible I think we should buy another Trent Cole. He's a manbeast. He's bulked up (I heard 270ish) and he's still fast as hell. He can anchor down better now against the run and he is always getting pressure. Always.

The Freak is doing his thing. The one thing I wanted to see was JJ moving him around a lot. He hasn't done that yet. I think they probably have only 50% or so of their installation done and will wait for specific gameplaning to do that stuff.

He hasn't stood out, but then again I don't focus on him a lot. I have been watching a lot of Howard, Patterson and Walker (who has the dawg back in him). Walker knows his job is on the line and he's playing well.

Comment

Working...
                    X