Anyone like Taylor Mays at #37?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NoDakIggle` View Post
    I won't say you can coach up instinct but you can damn well coach up reaction by spending time in the film room. And the difference between reaction and instinct isn't a hell of a lot when you have lots and lots of film to watch on a team.
    I agree, one of the most common cliche's you here is "you can't coach speed." A bunch of BS.

In every sport they do. Hockey has whole camps devoted to technique and strengthening one's skating speed. I knew an Olympic swimmer who went to a 3 month training for her dolphin kick just to take a few 100's of a second off her time. God only knows how much time top sprinters put into improving their technique getting out of the blocks.

One of the more memorable radio interviews I've heard was with former Broncos WR Rod Smith. He explained how he went from a mediocre WR to a formidable one because his coach (Mike Heimerdinger) worked so in depth with increasing his speed, for example explaining how a wr of his height should shorten his stride on wet turf to make the same sharp cuts as on dry, and how another change would suit grass better, all increasing speed. TO explained in one of his early books how Jerry Rice showed him how to keep his arms moving in short strong strokes close to the body rather than the longer flailing ones TO had, to improve stamina and gain speed late in the game.

I think there's little if anything that can't be coached to some degree. The question is if a player is coachable.

Comment

Working...
    X