X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injury Updates

Miles Sanders misses 2nd straight day of practice
    By Dave Zangaro January 02, 2020 2:00 PM

Eagles running back Miles Sanders missed his second straight day of practice with an ankle injury on Thursday afternoon.

Sanders and Nelson Agholor (knee) were the only notable players absent on Thursday.

Sanders injured his ankle in the Eagles’ 34-17 win in Week 17. It’s a lower ankle sprain that had some swelling earlier in the week, a source told NBC Sports Philadelphia.

Even if Sanders is able to play on Sunday, there’s a good chance he won’t be 100 percent.

Some good news from Thursday is that Zach Ertz (ribs, back) and Lane Johnson (ankle) were both participating.

During the portion of practice open to reporters, Johnson was not taking individual drills but instead was working with a trainer, using resistance bands during his backpedal. Johnson has missed the last three games.

During offensive line install, Halapoulivaati Vaitai was at right tackle and Matt Pryor was at right guard. That’s the likely plan if Johnson can’t play. If Johnson is able to play, Doug Pederson has hinted that Big V would slide to right guard.

Ertz warmed up with a helmet and even took part in individual drills, running routes and catching passes with the other tight ends. Ertz has a fractured rib and a lacerated kidney, so he would need to be medically cleared before playing on Sunday.

Every other player who was listed as limited after Wednesday’s walkthrough was at practice on Thursday: Derek Barnett (ankle), Fletcher Cox (triceps), Sidney Jones (back), Avonte Maddox (abdomen) and Jalen Mills (ankle).

Mills missed the last game but is fully expected to play on Sunday.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Sounds like Lane is going to be back at least to start the game.

After the week-to-week fiasco with Howard not being cleared, I am certainly not going to hold my breath on Ertz.

I hope they are holding out Sanders as a precautionary measure. If Howard is truly ready to go, we should be OK there. Scott is more like Sanders and not an every down back. We really need a healthy Howard this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post
      Sounds like Lane is going to be back at least to start the game.

After the week-to-week fiasco with Howard not being cleared, I am certainly not going to hold my breath on Ertz.

I hope they are holding out Sanders as a precautionary measure. If Howard is truly ready to go, we should be OK there. Scott is more like Sanders and not an every down back. We really need a healthy Howard this week.
      We need a whole squad of "Healthy" guys this week.... Seattle will not be easy.

But ANYTHING we get is gravy in my book!!

Comment

I think they all will play or at least try to. Ertz might not be medically cleared to play though. Fortunately the only one who will miss the game is a player that I don't even consider part of the team any longer. His biggest contribution this season was thankfully getting hurt so Ward could be called up.
        Last edited by Eagle60; 01-03-2020, 06:00 PM.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Even if Ertz doesn't play I like the fact that he is out there moving around rather than declaring he is out four days before the game. Gives Seattle a little something, albeit very little, more to think about.
          Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
          Hope is not a strategy
          RIP

Comment

I hope they keep Ertz away from the middle of the field
            We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Zach Ertz has 1 more hurdle to clear before playing on Sunday
              By Dave Zangaro January 03, 2020 10:45 AM

The Eagles are still holding out hope that Pro Bowl tight end Zach Ertz will be able to play in their playoff game Sunday, but they won’t know until tomorrow.

As of Friday morning, Ertz had not yet been cleared for contact.

“We’re waiting on a few doctor results tomorrow,” head coach Doug Pederson said. “If things go favorably, he’ll play. If they don’t, he won’t.”

With a fractured rib and lacerated kidney, Ertz will need to be cleared by doctors before he’s allowed to take the field. Ertz will be a limited participant in Friday’s practice, as he has been all week.

Lane Johnson: Johnson is still dealing with a high ankle sprain that has forced him to miss the last three weeks.

“Lane is still working,” Pederson said. “I’ll tell you what. He’s a tough guy. He really wants to play in this football game. We’re going to find out more today and see where he’s at at the end of the day before we put out a report. He’s working to try to play in this football game.”

With Johnson, it’ll basically come down to if he can feel good enough to be a better option than Halapoulivaati Vaitai, who has started in his place. The fact that Johnson's ankle is this big of a question mark this late in the week is probably not a great sign.

If Johnson does play, the Eagles can use either Big V or Matt Pryor at right guard in place of Brandon Brooks, who is out for the season. If Johnson can’t play, Big V would start at right tackle and Pryor would play right guard. That was the combination that finished the Week 17 game in New York.

Miles Sanders: After missing the first two days of practice this week with an ankle injury, Sanders will practice on Friday.

“Miles is good,” Pederson said. “He’ll get some work in today, see where he’s at. But he’s been feeling good.”

Sanders has a low ankle sprain and is expected to play on Sunday. Boston Scott, Jordan Howard and newcomer Elijah Holyfield will also be a part of the rotation.

Comment

Working...
              X