Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reflecting on a previous discussion about our personnel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reflecting on a previous discussion about our personnel.

Remember that article by Les Bowen about the poor personnel moves by the Iggles (after re-signing Cole)? Remember how he and others wanted to evaluate the draft picks or personnel moves over tha past couple years after the weird start? Remember how someone questioned Tom's ability to evaluate talent, and they BASED IT on our 5-5 record that could have easily been 8-2?

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/ho...l.jsp?id=58876

Well, I wonder what they are thinking now? Is our team beating the crap out of the NFC's top teams with smoke and mirrors? Are we a terrible 9 or 10 win team, despite almost being a 13 win team?

Several of us responded to a post about Bowen back when it came out. I was proud to see just how level headed some of us could be during a tough time. Sure we had some tough losses, but this team was still full of talented players. We just had a couple bad quarters that affected our record. We were not elite, for sure, but we were not bad enough for people to start calling for the resignation of our personnel department.

This win over Dallas showed me just how good this team can be. It showed me that the personnel wasn't the problem. A few players just made mistakes at the wrong time. The coaches were calling too conservative of games. JJ and AR were way too conservative and AR didn't know yet how predictible his calls were. Youth weren't ready either. But, I think it taught the whole team a valuable lesson, and they are truely peaking at the right time. And they are certainly capable of beating ANY team in the NFC. So, just how bad were Tom's personnel decisions, now that his players just kicked the crap out of a top 3 NFC team (according to every expert on TV this week), in their house, with everything on the line?
    Pedro

The biggest thing that I see is that the defense is now stopping the run, and holding up at the LOS. You see, it's not that we were playing good football on defense, and just gave up a couple of big plays. We were terrible on defense, and we were giving up about 200 yards a game rushing alone, along with points. The blitzes that we ran weren't getting there either. Now they are. It's been a jeckyl and hyde esque turnaround on defense over the last two games, against offenses that we pretty much thought would pound us on the ground, and score points.

And, let's not gloss over how bad we were on defense for the majority of the season. Other than Gaither playing lights out, which has been a huge addition at a critical need, at the right time, the front 7 has gone from being a sieve to stout, almost over night with no major changes in personnel.

It's almost unbelievable, but we'll take it. Just keep it up.

The other crazy thing is this is how we all thought the defense was going to play in the first place. I think, before the season started, we looked at our personnel and figured the defense was going to rebound, and be good this year. When they weren't, we were all scratching our heads, going WTF...looking for answers. If they can keep the current level of play through the playoffs, it will be an amazing turnaround.

Comment

I thought everybody LIKED the Cole signing??????
      http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

EB, you're right. I remember people comparing this defense to the Reggie and Jerome led defense of year's past. While that may have been a bit of bufoonery there, they are atleast becoming respectable. No one s gonna confuse THIS defense with that of the '91 birds, but with the quality of the oponents in the NFC, they don't HAVE to be.

Just keep this offense clicking, keeep chewing clock and TOP, and keep the defense fresh. It makes a medoicre defense look...dare I say it...pretty good?
        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

"I think, before the season started, we looked at our personnel and figured the defense was going to rebound, and be good this year. When they weren't, we were all scratching our heads, going WTF...looking for answers."

Not directed at you EB, but I disagree somewhat here, in fact, again only in my opinion, many here were looking to play the blame game, not just looking for answers.

Many felt that it had to be "somebodies" fault.

Comment

Working...
          X