Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SI.com: Howie Should Say No To Nostalgia

https://www.si.com/nfl/eagles/news/n...e-rosemans-way

Author argues that Peters may be an acceptable short-term concession to nostalgic impulses, but McCoy not so much.

EXCERPT--

Nostalgia has a powerful, almost untraceable effect on everyone’s psyche.

It explains why you wanted to laugh at your father for saying Wilt Chamberlain was better than Michael Jordan and why you want to strangle your own son when he tells you LeBron James is a tick above the star of ESPN’s “The Last Dance.”

Talk about an invisible enemy - the three certainties of life should be expanded to include the close-mindedness of each generation.

The never-ending cycle of nostalgia is the feeling Eagles general manager Howie Roseman has to sift through every time a player his fan base loves needs a new contract or becomes available again.

Some decisions like DeSean Jackson last season are more difficult than others but the riptide of the sentiment is always real.

Roseman created a bit of a fail-safe by allowing older favorites like Connor Barwin and Darren Sproles to join the personnel department and kickstart their post-playing careers. Brent Celek was also brought back into the fold with a similar role....

…. That’s what is going on right now with both left tackle Jason Peters and running back LeSean McCoy, who are each trying to campaign for a return to Philadelphia.

The paths are divergent. Peters could still help and short-term is probably still a better option than Andre Dillard while McCoy is an aging redundancy to the emerging Miles Sanders and not likely the type of veteran fit head coach Doug Pederson would want as a complement or Roseman should be looking to add....

….That should be the mindset when it comes to Dillard, the team’s 2019 first-round pick, no matter the doubts. Ironically, the best example of this is Sanders, who was the organization’s second-round pick a year ago.

There has been a bit of revisionist history surrounding Sanders alongside the hype that has unfairly labeled him as the next Christian McCaffrey.

The truth is Sanders wasn’t very good early in his rookie season when he was running tentatively and often didn’t hit his landmarks in the passing game. Only when he took a step back and got an opportunity to take a deep breath when the Eagles turned toward veteran Jordan Howard did things begin to click for Sanders.

And when Howard went down to a shoulder injury, Sanders stepped back in and took off in December, something that probably doesn’t happen unless those start-up costs are invested....

I agree with him. However, Howie hasn't brought either one back yet so I'm not worried. Their return has all been writer's ideas. As for DJAX, there's no reason to believe he won't be flying again.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

For me it is:

Yes to Peters for this season.

No to Shady. We do need a short yardage back. But, he is too much of a dancer.

Comment

I think they are going to bring Peters back because they do not believe in Dillard, and I am totally O.K. with that. I think everyone is OK with that. If they are not sure about Dillard, they better bring Peters back.

Shady? Meh. They are going to feature Miles Sanders next year, and rightly so, and Boston Scott showed he can definitely be a part of the offense. Both of those guys can run it up between the tackles, so I'm not really sure that they need a short yardage back. They do need another body there, and McCoy is not totally washed up, but we'll see. If they bring McCoy back to get a handful of carries a game it will be on the cheap anyways.

Comment

I think everyone is forgetting about Clement. He's still a good receiver and blocker. Blocking is supposed to be Warren's problem. I would think that could be taught fairly easily, especially with his squatty build and thick build. As far as his running style he's supposed to be a real banger.
          "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
            I think everyone is forgetting about Clement. He's still a good receiver and blocker. Blocking is supposed to be Warren's problem. I would think that could be taught fairly easily, especially with his squatty build and thick build. As far as his running style he's supposed to be a real banger.
            To me, Clement's return makes a return of Shady less likely. But that's just me...

Comment

I want no parts of McCoy. His ego and attitude were hard to swallow when he was good. At this stage of his career he can take his 10 cent tipping, cop punching act somewhere else.
              Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
              Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Working...
              X