• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what Banner said during Eskin interview

From poster "sack that QB" on the EMB:
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Banner's comments:

- Their top priorities were to sign "Jack-wa" Thomas, William James, and Mikell going into the offseason.

- Curtis was on jury duty yesterday and his agent couldn't get in touch with him

- They know banking on their young guys to become very good players is a risk, but they think they will be very good players.

- Linebackers aren't a position that if not up to snuff can prevent you from winning championships. Think Daniels and Gocong will be good players. They think Gocong will be very good from college evaluations. They are banking on that and mini-camps.

- Joey Porter (I think they said Porter, both are speaking insanely low) they don't think is a good LB for a 4-3 defense. When evaluating they don't think he is a fit for a 4-3.

- "Kevin Curtis cost MUCH MUCH more than Stallworth would have." Eagles weren't interested in signing Stallworth for their initial numbers. Stallworth wanted a one year deal. They asked the Eagles if they were interested, the Eagles said yes. They sent the Eagles a proposal. 6 year deal, basically a one year deal. The one year was significantly more than they wanted to pay. Rosenhaus never got back to the Eagles.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Rosenhaus told Banner that Stallworth said if the Eagles didn't think he was good enough for the one year they had him to re-sign him, then he was better off with a fresh start. They would've taken him for what the Patriots signed him for, but they never got back to the Eagles.

- The Eagles DID NOT leak the information about the substance abuse with Stallworth. He finds the accusations offensive, irresponsible, and disingenuous.

- Eagles didn't make an offer to Garcia. The only chance they had to re-sign Garcia was before free agency because they figured he'd get an offer too appealing to match. They didn't want to lose Jeff AND have AJ Feeley for only one year. They told Garcia that if he wants to explore free agency that is fine, but if you want to come back here, then sit down with us, and we'll get a deal done. The Eagles wanted to go one way or the other. Garcia says even if they offered him a contract, he still wanted to test the waters. Meanwhile, the Eagles told him they had to extend Feeley soon, and if so it may shut the door on Garcia.

- Banner thinks that Garcia went to Tampa with the idea that they would give him what he was looking for. Banner doesn't blame him for doing so. He made the right move, but they didn't want to have to re-sign 2 QBs next offseason, so they wanted to get either Garcia done or Feeley done right away.

- People who think they don't do everything to win a Superbowl aren't worth listening to. We spend top money every year. The Eagles may be wrong in player evaluation, but we do spend the money. We spend top money on assistant coaches, and staff. We make mistakes like everyone else, but don't question our motives.

- Doesn't have a problem with people disagreeing with their evaluations of players, but they get angry when people call them cheap and question their motives. It angers him and other people in the organization. It did anger them when people questioned their motives about Stallworth.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- The Eagles are willing to give you security and lock players up early. They think it is a fair tradeoff to give them security now, rather than to wait and see if they can make it pay off down the road when they are free agents.

Lewis got more than they offered him, and it worked for him. Rod Hood got less than they offered. It didn't work for him.

- Doesn't feel te Eagles have a time frame or window of opportunity to win a Superbowl.

- Doesn't believe you have to build for one year and destroy the team.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Says they will be middle of the pack in cap room next year too. Will have a lot of money in 2009.

- On why they don't value LBs: Linebackers have more responsibilities in the 3-4 as to the 4-3. The LBs aren't always at fault. The whole defense has to play well. They don't think they get the credit they deserve, but that doesn't mean they think the defense is fine.

- Are looking and always looking to upgrade the defensive line, but believes they have young good players on the defensive line already. Thinks Kearse will come back and make a big impact.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Can't comment on a possible addition of Vilma, but thinks he's a terrific linebacker.

- 21/22 starters! He said it!!!!!!!

- Lost by 3 points to the Saints without 4 Pro Bowl players. Thinks they'll come back next season and be a Superbowl contender.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Doesn't think Adalius Thomas would be a good fit in their defense. Other people around the league agree. They want the right role for the right player, and Adalius Thomas in Philly wouldn't have been the right role.

- Hoping to get another RB sometime soon. Thinks Moats is talented. If they can't get a RB now, then somewhere down the road.

- Thinks Ron Dayne looked good today, was a good guy.

- They want good backs. Don't care if they are big, small or whatever.

- Hard to convince RBs to come here with Westbrook carrying the load.

- They'll know in 24 hours whether Dayne will be an Eagle. Other teams interested in him. He isn't staying i town.

- Won't tell Howard if he has another visit scheduled for another RB(sounds like they do).

- On interest in Dillon: No comment.
    "Philly fans are great....It's the only place where you pull up on the bus and you've got the grandfather, the grandmother, the kids and the grandkids - everybody flicking you off. At other stadiums, they give you the thumbs-down. Here, they give you the middle finger.”
    — Michael Strahan

"No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us, we don’t care, we’re from Philly, F—-ing Philly, No one likes us, we don’t care!”
    - Jason Kelce with the best championship speech ever

thank God Rod Hood turned their offer down. last year, that guy regressed into a corner you pick on when he's on the field.

i feel much better with a threesome of sheppard, brown, james than sheppard, brown, hood.
    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Thanks for that update... not that any of it will change the minds of those that have that agenda fixation.

I like his openness and logic...... I know some here just want him to STFU, but I'm not one of them.

Comment

Re: what Banner said during Eskin interview

Originally posted by balto-eaglefan
        - Can't comment on a possible addition of Vilma, but thinks he's a terrific linebacker.
        I heard about half the interview(which was at times impossible to hear because Banner was speaking so low), and I found it interesting when he said that they could be looking to add a LB through trade, as well as FA. If you read really far into it, there could possibly be something brewing there.
        Your confidence in your team is high, but rest assured, you will suffer humiliation when the sports team from my area defeats the sports team from your area.

Comment

But why would the do that, Sub, if they think LB is so unimportant. And once again, that feeling comes thru in this interview.

Sorry, it's not something I will eve agree with, but I have come to accept that that's how the Eagles feel.

Oh, and Joe...STFU!!
          http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

thanks, balt; lots of info there and sheds some light on how the Stallworth thing went down.
            www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Good recap, thanks. Everything there is logical and is in keeping with thier past actions IMM. I also like the fact that he comes out and says this and that. It is better than having absolutely nothing to go on. I also think he is telling the truth with the things he says. Now, it may not be the whole truth and it may not be nothing but the truth but I believe he is being honest with the things that he wants to say and with the things that the birds want to put out.
              Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
              Hope is not a strategy
              RIP

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
                But why would the do that, Sub, if they think LB is so unimportant. And once again, that feeling comes thru in this interview.

Sorry, it's not something I will eve agree with, but I have come to accept that that's how the Eagles feel.

Oh, and Joe...STFU!!
                I don't think they feel it's so unimportant, per se. They just don't think it's as important as almost everyone else does, myself included. That being said, I think if it's the right guy for their scheme, they'd make a play. People said they didn't value WRs, and they went out and got T.O. People said they didn't value guys over 30, yet they've re-signed guys like Dawkins and Runyan. There's evidence that shows they're not adverse to expanding their thinking a little.
                Your confidence in your team is high, but rest assured, you will suffer humiliation when the sports team from my area defeats the sports team from your area.

Comment

I agree with most of what he said. It still just astounds me that he (and the organization) think that you can play defense without LBs. It just amazes me. Can you name a sport where the middle of your defense isn't your strongest players? WTF?
                  "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Damned good thing we don't run a 3-4, huh??
                    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

I've seen this interview somewhere before!!!

I thought Banner had this same interview with Cataldi? I thought it went like this?

Cataldi: "How could it be offensive if it is true?"

Banner: "Ok first of all, I'm not 100% in love with your tone right now!"

Cataldi: "Tone aside, historically you guys have struggled to adapt. ."

Banner: "Yeah right! Building new facilities! Inventing the Cap roll-over! Signing all our own top players! Going to the playoffs just about every year! Creating a Gold Standard! Laying the foundation for all NFL teams to follow! Yeah! Good point! Sorry we couldn't get that to you sooner!"

Angelo: "Rita, your reaction?"

Rita: "Sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of the Walt Whitman!"
                      Pedro

Comment

Re: I've seen this interview somewhere before!!!

Originally posted by Pedro
                        I thought Banner had this same interview with Cataldi? I thought it went like this?

Cataldi: "How could it be offensive if it is true?"

Banner: "Ok first of all, I'm not 100% in love with your tone right now!"

Cataldi: "Tone aside, historically you guys have struggled to adapt. ."

Banner: "Yeah right! Building new facilities! Inventing the Cap roll-over! Signing all our own top players! Going to the playoffs just about every year! Creating a Gold Standard! Laying the foundation for all NFL teams to follow! Yeah! Good point! Sorry we couldn't get that to you sooner!"

Angelo: "Rita, your reaction?"

Rita: "Sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of the Walt Whitman!"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60
                          I agree with most of what he said. It still just astounds me that he (and the organization) think that you can play defense without LBs. It just amazes me. Can you name a sport where the middle of your defense isn't your strongest players? WTF?

I know and this where most of the "we don't value the LB position" comments get their fuel. It doesn't amaze me that they think this way it just amazes me that they say it.
                          But I've heard Banner say it before.

I really think if you openly preach this philosophy it does two bad things:

1. It doesn't speak highly of the guys on your team who play LB.
                          2. Good linebackers would probably rather play somewhere else for the same dollars where their position is taken more seriously making it harder to land decent FA LB's

Comment

See--- viewtopic.php?t=5718

Comment

Working...
                            X