Cousins knocked by NFL network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cousins knocked by NFL network

Just in case people didn't have a low enough opinion of the network they hire a POS like Steve Smith.

NFL Network crew rips Kirk Cousins who declines to fire back
    Dec
    12/1/2017 2:04:27 PM
    |More
    Some viewers were taken by surprise late Thursday night when NFL Network’s panel of former stars took aim at Kirk Cousins following Washington’s brutal 38-14 loss in Dallas, Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post reports. The team was sloppy in countless ways during the game — and Cousins cost his team dearly by fumbling the ball on a first-half sack. But Washington’s first turnover, a pass that went off Jamison Crowder’s hands and was intercepted in the end zone, did not appear to be a Cousins error.

“It just went through my hands,” Crowder said after the game, when he also said “a big part [of the loss] was my fault.”

And yet that play — and the quarterback’s reaction after it — was singled out for criticism during NFL Network’s discussion.

“Kirk Cousins, do you pay him, do you not?” Hall of Famer Marshall Faulk said. “There was blood in the water. The Cowboys were a wounded team coming in. I’m talking about not just physically but emotionally and mentally. As a quarterback, you come into games like this and you shred that defense, based on what I saw last week against the Los Angeles Chargers.”

Host Rich Eisen then argued that Cousins “was putting some balls right on the hands of some of his receivers in the first quarter,” and also mentioned Crowder’s fumbled punt return.

“I agree with everything that you are saying,” Faulk said. “But as a quarterback, when those things are happening, you go to your wide receivers. You don’t shake ’em. You pat ’em and let ’em know you have confidence, and let them know, ‘I’m coming back to you.’ And I was standing on the sidelines. I was waiting for that to happen. I never saw him go by his wide receivers and give them a vote of confidence.”

“Based off what he’s saying — and you want that leadership — I’m gonna say it right now: That probably cost him between $10 and $20 million off that contract,” former receiver Steve Smith chimed in. “Because he showed that he is not a true leader that demands that kind of money.”

“You’ve got to win these games right here,” Faulk said.

“And that’s interesting because we talked about it, and he talked about it,” Hall of Famer Michael Irvin said, referencing a Cousins radio interview last week. “He said ‘Haven’t you guys seen enough over the last few years in that building in D.C.?’ “

“No, he was right. He was right,” Faulk said. “We have seen enough. You are right. We’ve seen enough.”

Eisen tried again, suggesting such criticism was unfair, and that Cousins “put a ball right on Crowder’s hands” on that interception.

“But you remember I told you last week, he threw Crowder into a headache,” Smith said. “So Crowder was remembering, ‘Hey, you set me up last time, so now I think you may be doing that again.’ I’m telling you what’s going on, and it cost them.”

“The first interception, we’ve sat in meeting rooms, in the red zone as a quarterback, that ball’s got to be low, that ball’s got to be on him,” Faulk said. “You cannot throw a ball high. They tell that to rookie quarterbacks.”

“Protect the receiver,” Smith added, before Irvin said he put the interception more on the receiver.

Anyhow, 12 hours later, Cousins made his weekly appearance on 106.7 The Fan’s Grant and Danny program. Midway through the appearance, he was asked about that NFL Network criticism. Cousins said he hadn’t heard it, and after it was summarized, he attempted to avoid entering a back-and-forth.

“I mean, I think those guys are gonna say what they want to say, and I honestly think that in today’s world, unfortunately, sometimes saying inflammatory things, you get rewarded for it whether there’s a lot of truth behind it or not,” Cousins said. “You know, I didn’t go over right away [to Crowder], but I did go over and just try to encourage the guys up and down, the receivers and the O-line and the running backs, let ‘em know we’re doing a lot of good things, we’re fine.”

“Crowder and I have a great relationship,” Cousins went on. “He’s a classy guy. I love playing with him. And we go way back. So I just don’t know that he needs to be coddled; he’s a kind of guy that I know is mentally tough. And I feel good playing with him. And he came back, he came back and made plays for us the rest of the game like he always does. So people can say what they want to say, and that’s fine. I’m sure it drives ratings. It helps [attract] viewership. So be it.”

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/theredzoneorg

Like us on Facebook at http://facebook.com/Theredzone.org
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

The NFL network “analysts” make the ESPN guys look like Rhode Scholars.
    Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
      The NFL network “analysts” make the ESPN guys look like Rhode Scholars.
      I was thinking the same thing. All those rings those guys won don’t affect their IQ

Comment

Working...
      X