For those who have played baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those who have played baseball

Let me preface my question with the following: I am not a baseball player, I have no hand/eye coordination, so i have to plead ignorance on the subject and ask the wise minds of the board.

The other night on Baseball Tonight, John Kruk was profiling Chase's swing. He noted that in April Chase had his hands higher (?) above the "Phillies" script on his jersey. Then they showed him in June where his hands were much lower.

My question is, does this really matter? Could he be in a slump given where his hands are? If so, why the hell doesn't he bring them back up?

If your batting stance is that big a deal, why did Cal Ripken change his every season?

Thoughts?

Re: For those who have played baseball

Rod Carew was the same way as Cal as he changed his stance often. The key part was that they ended up in the same spot by the time they were swinging. If Chase's hands are lower, he'll have a greater tendency to swing up on the ball and a different plane on your swing will certainly lead to different results.

Why? Perhaps he's wearing down. In just the same way as a boxer gets tired and can't keep his hands up - perhaps Chase is wearing down. He'll right the ship though.

Comment

Charlie needs to man-up and make Chase take a day off every 3rd week.
      www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Steve got it right... your stance ISN'T all that important ----- until the ball is arriving. That is why there are hundreds of different stances..... but as the ball is being delivered everything must be in place to do a good job of hitting. You've seen guys with hands up, down, way up, wiggling the bat, keeping it perfectly still, open stance, closed stance -- and they all generally end up in the same position as the ball arrives in order to get the bat to make contact on a favorable plane.

Comment

Working...
        X