RIP Andy Musser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Andy Musser

Former Phils broadcaster Andy Musser passed away this morning from chronic heart disease. He was 74.
    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

"He buried it!". Love that call of his. RIP Andy.

Comment

Did Andy do tv?

Comment

I believe I remember him on tv.Harry,Whitey By Saam,and now Andy,all the guys I listened to in my youth are gone.
        We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

I think I remember him on tv too.

Comment

Yes. Definitely on tv.

Comment

Back in the 1980s and early 1990s, I think the Kalas/Ashburn/Musser/Wheeler team generally split TV/radio duties with each of them doing some TV and some radio (usually in Kalas/Ashburn and Musser/Wheeler pairings).

Comment

Originally posted by CHIP72 View Post
                Back in the 1980s and early 1990s, I think the Kalas/Ashburn/Musser/Wheeler team generally split TV/radio duties with each of them doing some TV and some radio (usually in Kalas/Ashburn and Musser/Wheeler pairings).

Right. Most nights, Harry and Whitey would do the first three innings, Wheels and Andy would do the 4th through the 6th (with Harry and Whitey switching over to radio), and Harry and Whitey would do the last three innings on TV.

RIP to Andy Musser. That pretty much does it for my youth, I think.

Amazingly, Bill Campbell is still alive, correct?
                Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

I don't understand the switching in and out. Is it just for variety?

I don't remember them doing this in San Francisco but I guess I didn't pay that much attention.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan View Post
                    I don't understand the switching in and out. Is it just for variety?

I don't remember them doing this in San Francisco but I guess I didn't pay that much attention.

I think they would do it to break up the monotony and ensure that the radio audience would at least get three innings of the A team.
                    Don't kid yourself Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd kill you and everyone you cared about!

Comment

Originally posted by Leonard Tose View Post
                      Right. Most nights, Harry and Whitey would do the first three innings, Wheels and Andy would do the 4th through the 6th (with Harry and Whitey switching over to radio), and Harry and Whitey would do the last three innings on TV.

RIP to Andy Musser. That pretty much does it for my youth, I think.

Amazingly, Bill Campbell is still alive, correct?
                      Yes,Bill is one of the last dinosaurs

Comment

Originally posted by musicman View Post
                        Yes,Bill is one of the last dinosaurs
                        Campbell is so old he predates my youth! I never heard Campbell or By Saam or any of that generation before Harry-Whitey, Gene Hart, Merrill Reese call Philly games.

But damn, those of us who grew up on Philly sports and got to hear Harry Kalas and Richie Ashburn every night doing Phillies games and Gene Hart and Merrill in the winter, we were lucky.

Comment

It may sound squirrelly,but back when I was in the Army,out in the field in Germany we used to listen to Armed Forces Network and every once and a while I would catch Harry and Richie doing a Phils Game. I had 4-5 buddies who with zero connection with or interest in the Phils that would sit down and listen just because of those 2. IMO That says alot about the quality job those 2 did. For me,it was 2 1/2 hours of home and it did wonders for moral. I remember listening to By Saam early in my youth,I can't remember a lot about him,but I remember him having a Grandfatherly voice and an the entire group had the great ability to paint the picture of what was happening before them. IMO we all have been very fortunate to have had the greats of each sport broadcasting our teams exploits on our behalf,but unfortunately the replacements just don't quite reach the same level.RIP Andy,there's a great bunch waiting for ya.

Comment

I listened to Bill Cambell and By Saam in my youth so that is what will always have that special feeling for me. But Harry and Ritchie are the comfort zone of my adulthood. There have been some really good announcers over the years.
                            Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                            Hope is not a strategy
                            RIP

Comment

Working...
                            X