Agholor is the key to the season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agholor is the key to the season

That was the title of a post that I wrote last spring. Well I guess that I was right because he stunk the place out and so did we for the most part. I thought that his rookie season failures were due to his injured ankle and that he would prove himself with a healthy wheel. The horrible preseason pass from Sanchez that he turned into a TD gave us hope that this kid was the real deal. The whole field was going to open up for other receivers and we would have a fine passing game. He disproved that theory in a hurry and the Birds floundered to a miserable 3-10 finish and final exhibition game win over Dallas.

This year I feel that our whole season revolves around our new found receiver Alshon Jeffrey. IF he can stay healthy all season and draws the attention that he deserves we could have a very decent team despite some defensive concerns. After all, our O line has the potential to be very good and we have some really good playmakers. Our defensive backfield could really surprise us with some new faces. I think that we're going to surprise some people. The problem is that I'm seldom right about my predictions but I could see things unfold this way.
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
    This year I feel that our whole season revolves around our new found receiver Alshon Jeffrey. IF he can stay healthy all season and draws the attention that he deserves we could have a very decent team despite some defensive concerns. After all, our O line has the potential to be very good and we have some really good playmakers. Our defensive backfield could really surprise us with some new faces. I think that we're going to surprise some people. The problem is that I'm seldom right about my predictions but I could see things unfold this way.
    This is a win-win situation 60. If teams double him we should have Smith and Matthews in single coverage. If Matthews can't win 75% of the time against a LB in the middle of the field then he is in the wrong profession. We already know what Torry Smith can do.

If teams don't double Jeffrey he'll quickly make them regret it.

Either way, we should be a hell of a lot better offensively this year!
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
      This is a win-win situation 60. If teams double him we should have Smith and Matthews in single coverage. If Matthews can't win 75% of the time against a LB in the middle of the field then he is in the wrong profession. We already know what Torry Smith can do.

If teams don't double Jeffrey he'll quickly make them regret it.

Either way, we should be a hell of a lot better offensively this year!
      Maybe Ertz finally shows up this year before Christmas too.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
        That was the title of a post that I wrote last spring. Well I guess that I was right because he stunk the place out and so did we for the most part. I thought that his rookie season failures were due to his injured ankle and that he would prove himself with a healthy wheel. The horrible preseason pass from Sanchez that he turned into a TD gave us hope that this kid was the real deal. The whole field was going to open up for other receivers and we would have a fine passing game. He disproved that theory in a hurry and the Birds floundered to a miserable 3-10 finish and final exhibition game win over Dallas.
        Not to nitpick but wasn't our record 7-9 or are we supposed to count that "exhibition" game as a loss?
        Last edited by rspurr; 05-04-2017, 03:48 PM.
        Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Sorry, this teams success this year does not depend on one WR. And it didn't depend on just Aggy last year.

Football is the most TEAM focused sport we follow. The success of this team depends on the health, execution, talent level, play calling and effort of all the coaches and probably 50 of the 53 men on the roster.

There is no single KEY ( other then injuries) IMM, and if there was, that key on today's NFL would be Wentz and his growth. This is a QB centric league.

IMM, this teams season will be more impacted more by what the DEFENSE does, since IMM this was why we lost many games last year, not that the Offense and any one WR was that poor.

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
            Not to nitpick but wasn't our record 7-9 or are we supposed to count that "exhibition" game as a loss?
            Let's just say we didn't do too well after we started 3-0 and leave it at that. Deal?

Comment

Apparently, Lane Johnson was the key last season. Look at their record with and without him.

5-1 With Lane Johnson
              2-8 Without

The records may overstate this a bit. But, there was a huge difference with and without him.

Comment

Originally posted by Pliny View Post
                Apparently, Lane Johnson was the key last season. Look at their record with and without him.

5-1 With Lane Johnson
                2-8 Without

The records may overstate this a bit. But, there was a huge difference with and without him.
                While I surely agree, we probably would have had the same problems if Peters went down. Then again he and Kelce were the only two that didn't get rotated all over the place. When you lose a $12 million a year player anywhere you're in trouble.

Comment

There are lots of keys to the season this year. The first is going to be the coaches sorting through the gaggle of players they brought in. Have to hope they find gold in one or two of them
                  Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
                  Hope is not a strategy
                  RIP

Comment

The Wr group is going to need to stay on the field, stretch the field and catch the goddamn ball. The front 7 needs to be fantastic or we will be watching a track meet every week.
                    We're looking for people that are fundamentally different,” vice president of player personnel Andy Weidl said Saturday night. “The love and passion for football, it's non-negotiable. They're caring, their character, they do the right thing persistently, and they have a relentless playing style that you can see on tape. The motor, it burns hot. You see them finishing plays. They have a team-first mentality. They're selfless individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by MDFAN View Post
                      Sorry, this teams success this year does not depend on one WR. And it didn't depend on just Aggy last year.

Football is the most TEAM focused sport we follow. The success of this team depends on the health, execution, talent level, play calling and effort of all the coaches and probably 50 of the 53 men on the roster.

There is no single KEY ( other then injuries) IMM, and if there was, that key on today's NFL would be Wentz and his growth. This is a QB centric league.

IMM, this teams season will be more impacted more by what the DEFENSE does, since IMM this was why we lost many games last year, not that the Offense and any one WR was that poor.

Whoa there my good friend. If you remember right a couple of years ago that you drove the bandwagon that the offense sputtered because Jackson was gone? You argued that he opened up the field for MacLin and of course you were right but we gave you a lot of flack over it. You can't switch gears on us now. Yes it takes a whole team, but if Alshon goes down like he has in the past this offense isn't going to be any better than last year and we're sunk for the most part floundering around. The one year that he stayed healthy Cutler went to the Pro Bowl. Marshall left and Alshon was injure and Cutler now can't get a job only 2 years removed.

On top of that the only reason we could sign him for so low of a contract was his injury history. Healthy the guy is one of the finest receivers in the league. On the bench he's worthless.

Comment

Sorry but I don't recall saying that a whole seasons success was on one guy. Also Jackson was self inflicted without regard to a replacement. There is also a big difference when a team only has one or two talented skill players, that isn't the case here.

If I gave the impression at any time that one player(other than a QB) is soooooo important to a young rising team then I was wrong. Maybe I should have specified the types of teams that I applied that standard to.

And of course I certainly didn't want to imply that there aren't exceptions.

In general though, I believe that the success of most teams hinges on the TEAM more then any one player. If we had better backups then losing one player wouldn't be a season killer, thus it's an organizational failure not a one player failure.

My concern wasn't losing Jackson per se but losing Jacksons talent without having or replacing Jackson talent. I don't recall ever saying the entire season was shot just because we lost Jackson, but that was still a stupid move.

Comment

Working...
                        X