Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: *UPDATED: Garrett Reid arrested again - NOW SENTENCED

Originally posted by BIGPHILLY
    I lived in the guest house of my parents in my early 20's and drank and partied and hid it from them like a magician. Happens all the time. I finally drove myself to a point where I was going to end up in big trouble financially and with addiction. My parents weren't bad parents - believe me. They are incredible people.

But a man gets to a point when he needs to be a man.

I had to pay the price for some of my actions (Gambling) etc. and I did. I had to work hard and be disciplined to get out of debt - stop drinking and turn my life around. I wasn't addicted to heroin but gambling and alcohol are pretty bad.

Garrett Reid is lost right now. He's lost and he's at a crossroads. This doesn't make Andy Reid a bad parent. It doesn't make him a drug emporium ring leader. (Can't stand these judges who think they are now the moral authority in this land - have him walk one day in Reid's shoes)

It makes him human. My mother and father would do things differently knowing what they know now but I was slick. After I got myself on track and later explained to them how things were - they had very little idea. Did that make that make their home an alcohol emporium??!?!

Andy Reid isn't God. He doesn't know all things. No parent does. You can only do so much.

That said. Garrett Reid should be kicked out of the house and made to work and be in an apartment. Cutoff his funding and get him to understand what responsibility looks like. He needs to serve jail time. He needs to wake up.

My prayers are that he does.

--------------

Finally - to say that running an NFL team and being a parent are the same thing is nuts. One is a job. Hollis Thomas and John Welbourn got paid to do what they do and with that comes a certain level of professionalism inherent to what they do. Period. Andy Reid has standards as a COACH. He's not perfect with that either. Dude can't even make in game changes!

But as a father - he is going through this life for the first and only time. Do you think he became the world's greatest man and father because he won the NFC EAST 5 times in his career? What? He's human. This is his oldest son. Better believe he's learning.

I've heard that Reid is a good man. He's a good father and a good person. I don't think his standards are "My kids can take heroin and pop pills and I'm going to provide a safe haven for that." I just don't.

If he did - then he'd be a hypocrite. But that's far fetched IMO.
    Great F'ing post!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I think we may actually see a refreshed Andy now that this has happened. The two troubled sons (let's hope they are the only ones troubled in that house) are now going away. While I am sure he's disappointed/upset/mad...whatever the emotions, about where they are, he might be relieved. Kind of like a big weight being lifted off his shoulders. Knowing that prison might be the only way to straighten them out.

I think unless you lived in that household, it's unfair and wrong to be slamming Reid and his wife over this. No one here has any idea of how they handled things. The only thing we know, it didn't turn out well.

You can be a great parent. Teach your kids the right things about everything and anything, but at some point they are going to do their own thing. Some of which being the exact opposite in which they were taught.

Obviously there are questions, from much higher authority than me, to be asked of Andy Reid and his wife about what went on in that house and how they raised their kids. But unless you lived there and know for yourself what went on, it's just not right to bash the parents......Then again, this is an internet message board so I guess anything and everything is fair game :P .

BTW..think that judge knew the spotlight was on him during all of this? I think that answer is a big fat YES!!!

Headline for Monday Morning..

Refreshed and Relieved Reid leads Birds to big win over big D.

BP..great post!!
      Theo

Bleedin Green in 117!!

Trey Wingo is still a geek!!

Comment

I lived in the guest house of my parents in my early 20's and drank and partied and hid it from them like a magician. Happens all the time. I finally drove myself to a point where I was going to end up in big trouble financially and with addiction. My parents weren't bad parents - believe me. They are incredible people.

I had to pay the price for some of my actions (Gambling) etc. and I did. I had to work hard and be disciplined to get out of debt - stop drinking and turn my life around. I wasn't addicted to heroin but gambling and alcohol are pretty bad.

Garrett Reid is lost right now. He's lost and he's at a crossroads. This doesn't make Andy Reid a bad parent. It doesn't make him a drug emporium ring leader. (Can't stand these judges who think they are now the moral authority in this land - have him walk one day in Reid's shoes)

It makes him human. My mother and father would do things differently knowing what they know now but I was slick. After I got myself on track and later explained to them how things were - they had very little idea. Did that make that make their home an alcohol emporium??!?!

Andy Reid isn't God. He doesn't know all things. No parent does. You can only do so much.

That said. Garrett Reid should be kicked out of the house and made to work and be in an apartment. Cutoff his funding and get him to understand what responsibility looks like. He needs to serve jail time. He needs to wake up.

--------------

Finally - to say that running an NFL team and being a parent are the same thing is nuts. One is a job. Hollis Thomas and John Welbourn got paid to do what they do and with that comes a certain level of professionalism inherent to what they do. Period. Andy Reid has standards as a COACH. He's not perfect with that either. Dude can't even make in game changes!

But as a father - he is going through this life for the first and only time. Do you think he became the world's greatest man and father because he won the NFC EAST 5 times in his career? What? He's human. This is his oldest son. Better believe he's learning.

I've heard that Reid is a good man. He's a good father and a good person. I don't think his standards are "My kids can take heroin and pop pills and I'm going to provide a safe haven for that." I just don't.

I'm glad you pulled through BP.
        But in the case of the Reid boys, it is clear with repeated drug rehab stays in three states over the years that their habits were well known to Andy. Can you honestly believe that such a bright, observant man, knowing the history, would not see the signs in his boys. That he would keep his hands off so much that the police would find such a humongeous stash in their home. You can love the heck out of your kid but it does not excuse letting them turn your home, with three younger siblings, into a "drug emporium". I wholeheartedly agree with your solution of booting him out, cutting him off, crossing one's fingers and praying.

I remain firm in my belief that the real problem with Welbourn and Thomas revolved around their use of steroids and that got covered up by the "official" dispute about money. I said so at the time and still believe so. As it was IIRC, they paid Welbourn as a G and then wanted to move him to T. Both players then, amazingly got suspended for steroids shortly after leaving the Eagles. Nice coincidence dontcha think? It does not mean in any way that the Eagles ratted them out but could well mean that there were notable tipoffs of their problem of some type. Both players left holes we are still trying to fill in their respective starter/backup roles. Had Reid stood by them resolutely, we would not be having this conversation.

Comment

So, one judge makes some speculative comments and suddenly Reid and his entire family are criminals and drug dealers??

Wow...some really large conclusion jumping here without much evidence.

As BP and others have said, this happens all the time and is NEVER reported. The media is covering this ONLY because they are Reid's sons and they can get alot of mileage out of the story...hopefully now that they have been sentenced, the media will let this go. I doubt it though; we will probably have daily reports from the prison and more denigration of Tammy & Andy Reid...

Again, if we had such blanket follow-up and coverage from the media on corruption, murder (like the 4 cops shot just this month alone in Philadelphia), foreign policy and other crucial issues, we might have a much better republic.
          Eliminate distractions, create energy, fear nothing, and attack everything.

-Andy Reid

Comment

--------------

This may be the all-time greatest post that has appeared on any of the boards. Great job!!! (And an even better job in straightening out your life!!!)
            "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Dutchman

--------------

I'm glad you pulled through BP.
              But in the case of the Reid boys, it is clear with repeated drug rehab stays in three states over the years that their habits were well known to Andy. Can you honestly believe that such a bright, observant man, knowing the history, would not see the signs in his boys. That he would keep his hands off so much that the police would find such a humongeous stash in their home. You can love the heck out of your kid but it does not excuse letting them turn your home, with three younger siblings, into a "drug emporium". I wholeheartedly agree with your solution of booting him out, cutting him off, crossing one's fingers and praying.

I remain firm in my belief that the real problem with Welbourn and Thomas revolved around their use of steroids and that got covered up by the "official" dispute about money. I said so at the time and still believe so. As it was IIRC, they paid Welbourn as a G and then wanted to move him to T. Both players then, amazingly got suspended for steroids shortly after leaving the Eagles. Nice coincidence dontcha think? It does not mean in any way that the Eagles ratted them out but could well mean that there were notable tipoffs of their problem of some type. Both players left holes we are still trying to fill in their respective starter/backup roles. Had Reid stood by them resolutely, we would not be having this conversation.

FD - your supposition in your posts for this thread leave me shaking my head. How can I debate an issue that has such a crazy mix of fact & fiction? So you've connected the dots and figured out what is going on in the Reid household as well as how the Welbourn & Thomas departures occurred including a potential tipoff from the Eagles FO. It seems like you are trying to find any way to indict Reid here.

Some quick points - I don't believe you recall the Welbourn issue correctly. Welbourn's contract called for him to get a bump in pay IF he moved to tackle but the Eagles didn't do it because they had Thomas and Runyan. And Welbourn wasn't suspended until the 2005 season. He played all of 2004 with KC before he was suspended in '05. That doesn't seem like "shortly after leaving Philadelphia".

And your claiming that the $ issues with Hollis masked the steroid issue - it was well documented during all of the '05 campaign (including training camp) of Thomas' issues with his contract so it wasn't some new issue when he was traded on draft day 2006. BTW - Hollis and his teammates still say it is an issue with his asthma and inhalers.

Comment

For the record, Garrett is expected to have additional charges filed against him later this afternoon for smuggling the drugs into jail. When it rains.....
                Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Thanks stock etc.

I think it comes down to what we think of Andy Reid. None of us know what kind of man he is. I'll take the track record of him as a coach and from what I hear about him internal to the team. I'll take the respect his players show him as an indicator of who he is:

See: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/200 ... _Reid.html

Of all people - last night on NFL LIVE Sean Salisbury said something to the effect that Andy is a Godly man and a man of Christ and a tremendous family man. He said that he needs our support etc.

I am personally going to write the Big Man a letter and try my little part to help stand up for a man during this time instead of bailing on him. That's not what we're about - is it?
                  Carson Wentz ERA

NFC East Titles:
                  Playoff Appearances:
                  NFC Title Games:
                  Super Bowl Titles:

Comment

--------------

Hear, hear!

Comment

I am personally going to write the Big Man a letter and try my little part to help stand up for a man during this time instead of bailing on him. That's not what we're about - is it?

Now THAT'S what Eagles fans are all about!! Good work BP!!!
                      Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

All-business eagles rally around reid:

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/10967256.html

Comment

Gets my vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Reid Says He'll Stay As Coach

BOB LENTZ

The Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA - Andy Reid is digging in.

The Philadelphia Eagles coach insisted he will not resign Friday, a day after a judge sentenced Reid's two sons to prison and likened his home to a "drug emporium."

Asked whether he intended to stay on the job, a steely-eyed Reid delivered a stern, one-word answer: "Yes."

At least one of his peers thought that may not be the best approach.

"If that situation comes up in anybody's family, I would think you would have to take a hard look at taking time off, of doing something to try and salvage the thing," said Reid's longtime friend and mentor, Seattle Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren.

Reid took a five-week absence earlier this year. At his regular news conference Friday, he said more about his sons' legal problems than he had previously.

"I know this is a big story for everybody and I respect that," Reid said. "On the other hand, I can't go into questioning on it at this time.

"However, as parents we have huge concerns for our two boys. This has been a battle we have dealt with here for a few years and I'm sure we'll continue to address the situation. ... Our prayers are obviously with the boys, for their future, and to make sure things work out, where they can live a normal life down the road," he said.

The Eagles are last in the NFC East at 3-4, and host division-leading Dallas on Sunday night. During their final full practice before the game, Reid stood behind the offense and directed quarterbacks Donovan McNabb, A.J. Feeley and Kevin Kolb as TV commentator John Madden and Eagles chairman Jeffrey Lurie looked on.

Lurie did not take questions from the press.

Cornerback Sheldon Brown backed his coach.

"He has done everything he could. He went out, worked his butt off to make sure he made a good life for his family," Brown said. "Through that he showed his kids ... It is up to the kids to learn from it.

"At the end of the day, each individual makes his own decision and has to be held accountable for his own actions.

Comment

Hey, if we don't mind having a President that FFFF's his interns, why hold our ball coach to such a high standard? LOL! Don't know why Reid is catching so much flack for this, FD.

Now, if he knowingly allowed this behaviour from his kids and did not try to put a stop to it, thereby putting public citizens at risk, then I'm ready to string him up right NOW. Believe that. And if it comes out that's the case, I'll be standing right there with ya. But at the present time I don't believe that's the case. I have to believe that Andy did not realize nearly the extent of the danger that existed under his roof. That's criminal negligence, IMO,and I just don't buy it with this man.
                            http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Fresh, you are the first person to reply with whom I can agree on many points. You nail the critical point, did he know and knowingly allow this or was he duped. I honestly believe from the info I have read that he knew. Apparently, holding such a belief is not allowed on this forum. Time will clear this up.

Comment

My gosh Dutch, certainly you are allowed to believe whatever you want here. But I gotta ask, with what you have seen and heard form reid for the last 8 years, do you honestly think he is the sort of man to condone or disregard that type of behaviour, or do you see him as having a greater moral fiber than that?

I have some real compassion here for Reid. I do NOT, however, have much for his sons. Maybe I think about growing up across the street from Joe Theisman, and thinking that he was actually a decent dude, freindly enough anyway. And yet his son Joey was the most arrogant little brat I have ever met, and I laughed my FFFF-ng head off when I heard about the kid's drug problems. Typical rich kid/spoiled brat/nobody can touch me because my daddy is XXXXX syndrome. No sypathy, and basically just a hatred and resentment for the punks.
                                http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Working...
                                X