War??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War??

Maybe we will get that war with Iran afterall. Probably don't have to poke them too many more times.
    Wait until next year is a terrible philosophy
    Hope is not a strategy
    RIP

Originally posted by NoDakIggle View Post
    Maybe we will get that war with Iran afterall. Probably don't have to poke them too many more times.

Iran is not Iraq. Saddam Husein and the "Mother of All Battles" was largely bluster fronting for a disorganized and well less than devoted military. That is not to dismiss or minimize the ultimate disaster that the overthrow of Hussein became.

The sanctions on Iran are hurting them. How many handfuls of sand in the face on top of the sanctions before they have had enough. Iran will not be so easy militarily and might then tempt the orange man child to impulsively resort to some of the nuclear toys available to him. Then all bets are off.

Comment

Letting Iran glow isn't the worst idea that I've ever heard.
      "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
        Letting Iran glow isn't the worst idea that I've ever heard.

Mike,

"Not the worst idea you've ever heard?" Really?

Think about what your glib comment means in terms of the deaths of tens of thousands of Iranian men, women and children who are just trying to live their lives and have no control over what their authoritarian government does. It reminds me of a comment a former friend of mine (a mother of 2 girls who themselves have their own small children) had regarding making the frustratingly complex problems in the Middle East go away. "Just bomb them all."

How 'bout if some adversary of the US has the capability to make us "glow" and does so largely on impulse by the country's leader. How's that for an idea?

In my limited life experience, comments that fall in the "bomb them back to the stone age" and "turn the country to glass" category rarely come from people who have witnessed what even a large conventional bomb does when it lands in a location crowed with other humans.

Comment

Nobody over there felt bad over 9/11/2001 when 3,000 people were incinerated by those bastards. Not one more American life should be spent on them if it comes to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
            Nobody over there felt bad over 9/11/2001 when 3,000 people were incinerated by those bastards. Not one more American life should be spent on them if it comes to that.
            Not that facts matter much but you might want to remember just where the 19 scum bags that hijacked the 4 planes came from. Fifteen hailed from our indispensable and totally trust worthy ally - Saudi Arabia; two from the UAE; one from Egypt and one from Lebanon. Strangely enough...and much to the disappointment of John Bolton...none of them came from Iran.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hijack...ber_11_attacks

As far as "nobody over there feeling bad over 9/11/200", who/what does "over there" refer to? Iran, which you'd like to see "glow"? Or does "over there" refer more generally to the maddeningly complicated Middle East.

And how do you know that "nobody over there felt bad". Do you maybe have the same source as your boy did when he claimed he'd watched thousands of people cheering in Jersey City as the Twin Towers fell.

It's fair so say that more than a few people in most every country in the Middle East weren't grief stricken that the US had suffered a monumental tragedy. But it's simply uniformed nonsense to claim that "nobody felt bad". It's a feeble excuse for promoting the indefensible.

But go ahead and justify the mass slaughter of tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians, which would be the case, if we used anything more lethal than small, tactical nuclear weapons in a war with Iran. And small, tactical nukes would hardly result in the "glow" that seems appealing to you.

Comment

Let's not get carried away Dickie, I'm not saying that we want a war anyway. It's no secret that these guys fund most of the terrorism in the world. BTW, Trump isn't my boy.

Comment

TP and 60. People stay stuff. You guys are smart guys and I love you both.

Let's hope we do not go to war with Iran and let's hope the revolution there can overthrow the rogue gov. Also though, let's be ready to not take any crap from them. In that area of the world they do oftentimes just respond to force but if we go there let's hope it is limited.

I never thought I'd say this but I just can't take the constant political debate. It is exhausting me. Let's just all get along.
                You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewaters View Post
                  TP and 60. People stay stuff. You guys are smart guys and I love you both.

Let's hope we do not go to war with Iran and let's hope the revolution there can overthrow the rogue gov. Also though, let's be ready to not take any crap from them. In that area of the world they do oftentimes just respond to force but if we go there let's hope it is limited.

I never thought I'd say this but I just can't take the constant political debate. It is exhausting me. Let's just all get along.

AW and 60,
                  I'm done with this one (without prejudice) and was also generally intent on refraining from further political discussions on this board. I let myself react to the thread about the potential of misjudgements resulting in war with Iran because the entire concept of selfish old men sending young men off to fight and die for generally fucked up causes is probably the one sphere of human activity where, even with my pervasive very dark sense of humor, I don't find anything humorous. That holds whether the old men are here in the US or in Iran or where ever.

And 60, that's why I reacted (over reacted ?) to your "making Iran glow" comment. It's bad enough that young men, with their whole lives in front of them, are obliged to kill one another to satisfy the often questionable goals of old men. What's always worse to me are the countless civilian casualties...the "collateral damage".

There's a memory I carry with me of a 1000 lb bomb being accidentally dropped in the District Capital of Xuan Loc, South Vietnam about 60 miles east of Saigon. The bomb landed in a school yard just as classes were letting out for the day.

I was a medic in an artillery battalion whose headquarters were based on the outskirts of Xuan Loc. Along with the 3 other medics and the Battalion Medical Officer we went to the school. There were two other allied units based in the immediate Xuan Loc area. Medical personnel from those two units came as well, all to do what we could. And there was good life saving work to be done.

There was also unimaginable carnage. As a field medic serving in combat you expect, and are somewhat trained, to handle bad shit. You expect it to be with your comrades and sometimes the "enemy". And I had seen my share of 'bad shit' already. But this was so different. Little kids..or in some cases, parts of little kids. The scene was soul searing and never to be forgotten. It has haunted me. It captured in cruelly concentrated form all that is vile and despicable about war and it's toll on innocents.

I didn't discuss my time in Vietnam for years after I came home except with other Vietnam vets. And then it was mostly light stuff...the good times and there were some good times and lots of laughs with buddies and plenty of great 'opiated' ganja. I didn't discuss the bombing at the school with anyone for almost ten years. I do now occasionally, as I'm doing here, because it helps. It always colors my thinking when the subject of bombing civilians crops up.

And it may help to explain why I get "carried away" at the suggestion that we make Iran "glow".

Enough said.

Comment

Wow Tino. Such a sad story man and I’m so very sorry that you have to carry that memory with you. You undoubtedly did good work in Vietnam and you had to do it and deal with the memories. Nobody gave you a choice you stepped up and acted.

Thanks for your service man. I can’t imagine the courage it calls for and the toughness it takes to carry the memory.
                    You know Darren if you'd have told me 10 years ago that someday I was going to solve the world's energy problems I'd have said your crazy.... now lets drop this big ball of oil out the window.

Comment

Working...
                    X