No announcement yet.

How good is Moats really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be honest and say that I rally don't know what to expect from Moats this year, even though I picked him as the breakout player of this season. Here's what I DO thik I know. Moats appears to be a harder and more decisive runner thatn Westy. Moats has some quicks and is shifty as all get out, maybe not as polished as Westy, but the potential and raw ability is certainly there.

He needs to become a better blocker and receiver, we pretty much all agree on that. But that CAN be accomplished. He's been practicing his receiving skills, and he has time now to learn his blocking assignments. I EXPECT Moats to light it up and see a LOT of action. Anything less will be a severe disappointment for me.
    http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Originally posted by FRESH
      I'll be honest and say that I rally don't know what to expect from Moats this year, even though I picked him as the breakout player of this season. Here's what I DO thik I know. Moats appears to be a harder and more decisive runner thatn Westy. Moats has some quicks and is shifty as all get out, maybe not as polished as Westy, but the potential and raw ability is certainly there.

He needs to become a better blocker and receiver, we pretty much all agree on that. But that CAN be accomplished. He's been practicing his receiving skills, and he has time now to learn his blocking assignments. I EXPECT Moats to light it up and see a LOT of action. Anything less will be a severe disappointment for me.
      I'm with you 100%. Looking at the leap Westbrook made his second year, I really think something similar can come from Moats. He doesn't have to be a Westy/Duce caliber receiver. If he can be decent, that's enough. Blitz pickup is a big, big deal. In fact, I think that will be the single biggest factor that determines his playing time.

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal
        Originally posted by Pedro
        I want Moats to be well rounded, something that Westy is not. We need defenses to have no idea wha the play is going to be. When Westy is in, they know the play is going to be an outside run...if he stays in the backfield, or he is goingto swing out for passes. They can spy him when sending in personnel and be sure to send in an extra DB isstead of LB for Westy.

If Moats can pound inside and catch the ball well, the DC will not know what type of personnel to send in. The safeties wont know if they are covering him or Westy or if there is going to be an isnde or outside run. The entire D will be waiting to watch the play to commit, which gives a good line and fast backs the upper hand.

On two TE sets with Moats in the backfield, the DC has to decide how to commit his safeties. Do they worry about the run and stack the box....which will hurt if either TE gets loose. Do they play a sweep and get burned with Moats up the middle after he side steps the only LB in the middle? Do they cover the TE's at the line and watch one of them seal the line and break a blazing Moats ouside like he did twice against the Skins?

Moats does not have to be the great receiver that Westy is to be more valuable than Westy. If he can be a good receiver AND pound the ball up the middle, he will be able to keep defenses guessing, which will be very dangerous.
        But couldn't you say that about any running back? Sure, if Running Back X could do everything really well, that RB would be more valuable than Westbrook. The problem is, we don't know for sure that Moats can run up the middle, and we surely don't know that he can be the receiving threat that Westbrook already is.

To me, yes, it always seems obvious that if Westbrook gets the ball he's going outside OR usually out for a swing pass.....but.....knowing what was going to happen and stopping it are two different things. Moats is going to have to be awfully good at a lot of different things to be as valuable as Westbrook has been, even with Westbrooks flaws. I know you can't always just look at stats, but the stats speak for themselves. When Westbrook and the rest of the team are healthy - Westbrook was a freaking dynamo even when you know that he has 2 basic tricks in his bag.

And as I noted a few posts earlier, even if Moats is able to master everything - if he doesn't learn how to not fumble, he's not going to be useful. Westbrook just never fumbles and it continues to amaze me just how underappreicated that fact is.
        Chris, Since I'm not an Iggle coach nor a pro scout, I can't provide any mor insight than my opinion on what he could mean to the team.

I disagree with you that knowing and stopping a play are two different things. There is not a DC out there who will agre with this statement. As I explained earlier and as witnessed at the superbowl loss, teams will go to a dime package against us when they know there is ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE OF AN INSIDE RUNNING GAME. The only way to get past that is to establish one, and I am hoping that Moats is that guy. I don't say this with deep knowledge, but I do say it after watching his efforts last year. He appears to be a decisive runner betweenthe tackles. Reports are very positive about his passing improvements and we already know he can break it outside. So, I have no problem thinking there is a good chance that he can be this type of all-around back. BTW, I am not asking for him to be a top back in the league, just the type of back that can open up the one game that the opposition doesn't ahve to respect. This will open up a lot for Westy, the TE's and the receivers....In My Honest PHan Opinion.
        Pedro

Comment

The Super Bowl thing was a chicken-or-the-egg thing really. Every Super Bowl - heck, every game just about - tends to have the same analsys depending on who you are a fan of. For the Eagles it was the lack of an inside-running game that prevented us from running against the Patriots. If you are a Patriots fan, it was the Patriots dominant defense that kept us from running against them.

Truthfully, it lies somewhere in between, but I do think it had WAY more to do with the Patriots than Westbrook. In general NO ONE was able to move the ball against that defense. Even teams with bad-a$$ short yardage backs and a slick inside attack had trouble against the Patriots. That's why they were in the Super Bowl and won it.

As for DC's disagreeing that knowing what is coming and stopping it are too different things. OK, you are probably right there. My counter to that would be that, if that's the case, then teams really don't know what is coming when Westbrook is in the backfield. Actually, as I'm typing this I recall Reid addressing that question in a Press Conference once, and he had a good point. Just because they like to do a couple different things with Westbrook a lot of times doesn't mean you can plan for it because you still have other players on the field, and you don't know what THEY are going to do. And it's not like the Eagles NEVER attempt to run inside either, and it's not like they NEVER send Westbrook anywhere but out for a swing pass. All it takes is a few big plays to win almost every game. If they do the same thing with Westbrook 15 times, and the other 3 times go for huge gains, they stand a good chance of winning.

Comment

Working...
          X