Lurie writes political piece for Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lurie writes political piece for Time

Very interesting that an NFL owner would write a piece discussing the political landscape. Not surprisingly Lurie looks at the social impacts that are manifesting deep divides in our society. Agree or not, it's a well written, very intelligent piece that shows once more that we have a very unique owner and someone that we can be proud of representing Philadelphia. From the Philadelphia Inquirer.....

Eagles' owner in favor of climate change — in politics
    Updated: MARCH 25, 2017 — 4:30 AM EDT

by Les Bowen , STAFF WRITER @LesBowen | [email protected]
    Prominent on the list of things most of us weren't expecting to be dropped into our Friday evening laps was a TIME magazine essay by Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie, challenging Americans to put aside their political differences and come together to address pressing issues.

Obviously, Lurie wrote before the Republican attempt to repeal and replace Obamacare foundered Friday, but the tone of his remarks certainly seemed tailored to the moment. Here is the gist:

"We are simultaneously experiencing a dysfunctional jolt to all that is political, cultural, social and economic. In this harsh environment, the real problems we face, the basic human needs that are unmet, become tools to divide us instead of causes to rally around. The very quality of human life — that most precious, wondrous and fragile experience of discovery — becomes the unwanted victim of our evolution into the abyss of spiraling dysfunction.

"What I have learned from football can be applied to society at large. Just as we intensely game-plan against an opponent in sports, we need to game plan for the reality and consequences of polarization. Extreme polarization is the opponent — not each other. A football team is made up of players from a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences and political viewpoints. What unites them is grit, determination, and the desire to win. They join in a common goal and do what is necessary to transcend their differences for the greater good of their team.

"What unites Americans is far more negative. We are now in an age where communicating verifiable information becomes secondary to the goal of creating a common enemy that unifies people in fear, negativity and opposition. This masks our inability to solve serious domestic problems (poverty, violence and institutional racism to name three current examples) and diverts our attention from obvious suffering."

From there, Lurie moved on to the subject of autism, using it as an example of a looming crisis that is not being sufficiently addressed because of our inability to come together on important issues. Lurie has an autistic brother.

"We have the opportunity, right now, to do what America is great at: devoting the best minds and necessary resources to tackle the human puzzles that cause so much suffering. Artificial intelligence, computer science, advanced data mining, biomedical science, genetics … the list goes on and on where our country is at the forefront and our people are ready to engage.

"All we are lacking is leadership. Imagine if Republicans and Democrats put down their swords just for a day to create a comprehensive multi-disciplinary, multi-occupational effort to solve the mysteries of Autism and uncover groundbreaking treatments. Imagine how we would benefit from understanding aspects of the autistic brain that can include rare mathematical, creative and other cognitive abilities that may well enhance our own brain power and human potential. We might even excite our global rivals to join this united effort."

Lurie, rarely available to reporters, is expected to speak during the NFL owners' meetings in Arizona, which begin Sunday.

Read more by Les Bowen

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/s...l-climate.html
    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Very eloquent indeed. I know that we are supposed to stay away from politics on this board but his message is anti-politics. It's refreshing to see a socially conscious billionaire.

Thanks for sharing Jukin.
    Canada's #1 Eagles fan.

Comment

Originally posted by rspurr View Post
      Very eloquent indeed. I know that we are supposed to stay away from politics on this board but his message is anti-politics. It's refreshing to see a socially conscious billionaire.

Thanks for sharing Jukin.
      It's not really political which is why I posted it here. It's more societal based and it does reflect on our city and team since it comes from Lurie.
      Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
      Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

A very nice piece with little to no hope I'm afraid. About all tht does is relieve a little stress that he feels. Sorry to be so pessimistic, but unfortunately that 's the truth.

I give to a charity once a month. That also gets me about 10 letters a week from other charities asking for money. The darn thing is that every one of them is a great cause. You can't give to them all. I don't even know how I decide every month. The even more frustrating part of it is that half of them are huge rip offs with only 10% of the money actually going to the charity itself. Never, EVER give money to somebody that calls you as that is the biggest scam in the world. I knew a guy who worked for one and GOT 25-50%% of what he collected for a police charity. He worked for a company who collected for various charities so that you could imagine what their cut was!! He finally couldn't live with himself and quit. Why he needed the job I won't go into but he said that he made huge money doing it.
        "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

Working...
        X