• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Even More beautiful words of mutiny in Giant-land Pt.II

Jeremy stirs Seattle stew

Shockey, Hawks hit Giants hard

BY RALPH VACCHIANO
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Jeremy Shockey and Eli Manning (below) express their frustration yesterday.
    Seahawks pick up second score in first quarter as Nate Burleson catches pass for touchdown.
    SEATTLE - Ten months ago, the Giants flew home from Qwest Field feeling they were as good as any team in the NFC.

Last night, they flew home feeling embarrassed and angry after a lopsided loss that left volatile tight end Jeremy Shockey saying the Giants "got outplayed and out-coached."

"Write that one down," Shockey said after the Giants lost to the Seahawks, 42-30. "There's no 12th man, there's no --- excuses. That's basically it."

Shockey wasn't alone in his anger and frustration, either. In his press conference, Tom Coughlin was as mad as he's ever been as he ripped into his team. And linebacker Antonio Pierce took the beating so hard that he insisted the Giants are "a horrible team" that can't be considered a legitimate contender.

And if that seems harsh for a team that lost to the defending NFC champions by only 12 points, that's because it took a wild 27-point fourth quarter to make the score even look close.

More telling was the fact that the quarter began with the Giants trailing 42-3.

The fact that it took that long for the Giants' offense to get in gear clearly irked Shockey, who wanted so badly to make his point about the coaches that he jumped in when reporters were interviewing left tackle Luke Petitgout two lockers away. His ears first perked up when he heard that Coughlin had said, "We lost our composure again up front," because of three false start penalties in the first quarter.

That drew a chuckle from Shockey. Within a minute the interview belonged to him.

"They were in defenses that we didn't know they were going to be in," Shockey said. "They did different things that we hadn't seen. You can make adjustments all you want, but when they switch things up we can't do anything. The coaches' jobs are supposed to be to put us in the best situations to succeed."

More specifically, Shockey seemed to be upset that the Giants didn't begin to use their no-huddle offense until 3:18 remained in the third quarter, when they were trailing by 39 points. Though he conceded, "You can't play the whole game in a no-huddle situation, unfortunately," he also said, "When Eli (Manning) is just calling plays, I think we play better football."

When should they have gone to the no-huddle?

"I'm not a head coach," said Shockey, who had just four catches for 58 yards. "I go out there and try to play as hard as I can in the best situation. Personally, myself, I want to help this team win as much as possible and it's hard and frustrating when I'm in half the time blocking. But what can you do?"

As mad as Shockey seemed at the coaches, that's how mad Coughlin seemed at his players after a game in which the Giants faced the largest halftime deficit (35-3) in their entire 82-year history. Coughlin, who addressed the media before Shockey's eruption, seemed furious with almost everything, though it was the four first-half turnovers - all of which led to Seattle touchdowns - that bothered him the most.

"The first half, we just gave the game away - handed it to them," Coughlin said. "A team that does nothing but preach about turnovers, we turned it over like it was nothing. It cost us the game."

Coughlin also flagged his offensive line for those three false starts (down from 11 a year ago), his team for eight penalties (down from 16) and a pass defense that "was practically nonexistent." That defense allowed Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck to rally after throwing an interception on the game's first play, to complete 24 of 33 passes for 227 yards and a club-record five touchdowns.

It was after he threw his last one - a 12-yard strike to Darrell Jackson in the third quarter - that the Giants seemed to finally show up. With Plaxico Burress benched after a second-quarter fumble, the Giants used the no-huddle to get a quick touchdown pass from Manning (24-for-36, 275 yards, three touchdowns, three interceptions) to Amani Toomer early in the fourth quarter.

But that touchdown and the entire comeback was meaningless. "Those were gimmies," Petitgout said. So was the 25-yard touchdown pass to Tim Carter after a Fred Robbins interception, the R.W. McQuarters 27-yard interception return for a touchdown one play later, and the 9-yard touchdown pass to David Tyree that pulled the Giants within 12 with 2:42 remaining.

The comeback would have been a nice story on the heels of the Giants' 17-point rally in Philadelphia the previous Sunday, "But it didn't mean anything because we were 40 points in the hole," Toomer said.

"Right now we're a horrible team," Pierce added. "When you talk about teams that are contenders, they don't beat themselves. Right now we're beating ourselves."

"It's embarrassing," said Tiki Barber. "That's the easiest word."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man- Two whamo weeks for the gnats... The rooler coaster is now boarding in NYC!
    http://www.myspace.com/r3nj

but now. . .well - he just let the emotions get the best of him. The walls are crumbling.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2602729

Comment

Steve-

Ya gotta love it... I know what TO did to us- and we didn't have any players doing any of this- Oh- Maybe Hugh got a shot in on Tee himself- But atleast our Org. has some lasso's on this team and keeps run like a machine...

Comment

Here is another article from the NY Daily News---more fun in the big apple---love it!!

Coach & Eli can't
        allow this to pass

Tom Coughlin has this small problem. He's lost control of his team. The Giants don't have time to talk about the Super Bowl anymore. They are too busy losing games and slowly staging a mutiny.

It started when Tiki Barber, the most respected player on the team who is always very calculating before he speaks, stunned Coughlin when he said, "In some ways, we were outcoached," after the Giants' humiliating 23-0 playoff loss to the Panthers. Barber and Coughlin wanted it to go away during the offseason, but stinging comments are not quickly forgotten.

Then Jeremy Shockey, who says whatever is on his mind at the moment, followed Barber's lead and said after the embarrassing loss in Seattle on Sunday that "we got outplayed and outcoached."

Coughlin-bashing is becoming an epidemic. Throwing the coach under the bus is the new recreational sport in the locker room.

What's startling is the boldness of Barber and Shockey to take shots at Coughlin and that Coughlin doesn't command enough respect for them to keep their mouths shut.

"Am I surprised? I am surprised. I mean, it's extremely disappointing," Coughlin said yesterday. "Not done. What can I tell you?"

Each time, the comments were unsolicited and came right after the game, when true emotions and feelings surface. Half-hearted day-after spins are meaningless.

So, that's twice in the last four games, the forbidden 10-letter word has been directed at Coughlin: "Outcoached." The Giants have played poorly to open the season and are fortunate they are not 0-3. Clearly, the Giants are falling apart under the pressure of the Super Bowl expectations they put on themselves. The coaches, including Coughlin, aren't helping.

The old Bronx Zoo of the George-Billy-Reggie days of the Yankees has resurfaced in East Rutherford. You never know where the next firestorm will surface. The Giants are a fragile team. They have a bye before they play the Redskins, which allows the banged-up players to heal, but allows the latest crisis to linger.

Will getting ripped have an impact on Coughlin's ability to lead this team?

"It's going to have some bearing on it," one GM said yesterday. "We're going to find out what kind of leader he is. This is going to test his resolve even more. Tom does not acquiesce to crybabies. Nor should he."

Coughlin is a control freak - he even has a dress code for team meetings in the hotel on the road - who can't control his players. How many times are Plaxico Burress and Shockey going to show up Eli Manning after a bad pass? How about Burrress getting all over the offensive linemen in Philly? Coughlin is all about discipline. The Giants are all about penalties and turnovers. Did this team go to training camp?

Although Manning defended Coughlin yesterday and termed Shockey's "outcoached" comments "unacceptable" and "we don't need that right now and it wasn't the case," he has not approached Shockey and told him to zip it. That's what a leader is supposed to do to prevent his team from falling apart before October. Either it's not in Manning's laid-back personality to assert himself or he doesn't feel secure, but he needs to take control.

Barber obviously can't tell Shockey he's out of line.

Coughlin gets the players to line up behind him as long as they are winning. But the rules and regimentation wear a team out when they are not backed up by results. That's where the Giants are right now. Barber made it okay for the players to speak their mind. Shockey was second in line. Who's next?

"When your stars come out and say things like that, it's a real problem," the GM said. "I know what I think of Tom Coughlin - he's an excellent football coach. When players come out and say things, they've been thinking about it and talking about it internally. It's common vernacular within their troops. That's the worst thing you can have right now. That is undermining. You can't look at it as loyalty."

No coach can afford to lose the locker room. "When they come up and challenge you, what they are really saying is, 'We don't care what he says,'" the GM said.

Coughlin addressed the issue at yesterday's team meeting and separately with Shockey. What did Coughlin tell Shockey in front of the team? "Don't do it again," one player said.

Coughlin's message? "There's nothing to be gained by pointing the finger," he said. "If you're truly a team and you're in it together, we win or lose together."

Shockey stood in front of his locker yesterday and couldn't get the words "I'm sorry" out of his mouth, but he did seem somewhat contrite. "First and foremost, I would like to say I'm a team person, I'm very team-oriented," he said. "And what I said was not a team thing to say. I do let my emotions get to me at times. It's just the competitive nature in me."

He said he didn't want to be a "distraction," but from the day Shockey was drafted, nobody in the Giants' organization has been able to control him.

This is the time for Manning to step up. The quarterback must be the leader. "He was just emotional after the game," Manning said. "I think he knows he made a mistake."

Nobody backed up Shockey yesterday. Maybe that's the first step in Coughlin gaining back the team he's lost.

Originally published on September 26, 2006

Fresh stories hot off the site every day via RSS!

Comment

Coughlin's in one helluva position on this one. You can't turn back time, and allowing Barber to "get away" with the comments set a very dangerous precedent.

We all know Shockey is not the brightest guy in the world, but to blame the coaches for schemes they haven't seen yet this year is bs. Perhaps good 'ol Jeremy isn't bright enough to study the tapes of his upcoming opponents by himself.

"When your stars come out and say things like that, it's a real problem," the GM said. "I know what I think of Tom Coughlin - he's an excellent football coach. When players come out and say things, they've been thinking about it and talking about it internally. It's common vernacular within their troops. That's the worst thing you can have right now. That is undermining. You can't look at it as loyalty."

No coach can afford to lose the locker room. "When they come up and challenge you, what they are really saying is, 'We don't care what he says,'" the GM said.

Not exactly a vote of confidence for Coughlin.

Comment

If I was Coughlin I would bench anyone who came out in the press with those type comments. Now I agree with Shockey they have been outplayed and outcoached in every game this year. It took the luck of the boucing ball for them to beat the Eagles But as a coach you can't let them get away with it.
            Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

But if you bench Shockey or Barber and you lose the fans will go fucking nuts. Ohh man this is great stuff.

Comment

If Coughlin has any hope of keeping his job he has to regain control of the team immediately. IMO the way to do that is to bench anyone who goes to the press. I'd also consider trading Shockey right now for a draft pick in April. That will send a message and frankly if they do lose another game or two because of the benchings I think he has to be prepared to openly lay it at the feet of the players who are benched. Make them responsible for their comments and their actions and make them answer to eachother. At the same time he has to be ready to accept responsibilty for bad situations he creates. If he can regain some of the players respect and gt them accountable to each other then he can begin to move them in the right direction. If he doesn't do that they're finished and so is he.
                Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

See but their dilemma is that if they bench those requiring it (i.e Shockey for comments or Arrington for play on the field), then vets with big mouths and big salaries are going to make a bad situation ugly in a T.O. kind of way. Arrington bit his tongue in Washington last year, I can't see him doing it again this year.

Comment

Coughlin is almost in a no-win situation. He would have wide support from a large % of fans, and much of the NY media who have grown weary of Shockey's childish tirades and inconsistent performance on the field, were he to bench/openly punish Shockey. However, Shockey also has broad, passionate support from a vocal grouip of fans, who see him as the heart and emotional leader of the Gnats, and see hisn antics as "caring to much". As many in this latter group already despise Coughlin, were he to discipline Shockey now...after letting Tiki slide...there could be open rebellion among the fan base.

It's hard to say where the other Gnat players stand on this PARTICULAR dustup, but you can assume most of them privately share the concerns about coaching..Coughlin and, notably, Lewis... that Shockey and Barber have voiced publicly.

Coughlin's reputation is one of stubborn inflexability. If so, he will require that the players bend to his will. Lots of luck with that, Tom!

IMHO, the next 3 games...Skins at home and then Dallas and Atlanta away...will tell us all we need to know about the 2007 NY Giants. Complicating matters is the fact that the secondary has been exposed as no better, if not worse, than the group they largely replaced. And this is a problem, as we know from the Bird's current predicament, that is not easily corrected in the short term.

Many New Yorkers, with eyes and a brain, are now realizing that their Super Bowl bound Gnats are more realistically an 8 & 8 team.

Comment

Coughlin has created his own mess and it may be unrecoverable.

It starts with him because 1. he demands respect, but his methods don't command respect, 2. he treats his players like HS kids, 3. he never takes responsibility for any team failings that I can recall.

Let's look at the opposite end of the spectrum: Andy Reid. 1. he commands respect by his methods (excepting for bipolar WRs), 2. he treats his players like men, and 3. he always, verbally at least, takes the blame when things don't go well. When he does address mistakes by players, it's in a more methodical sort of way.

While he's not perfect, he's much better. Which is why he was able to keep the team during last years debacle with numb-nuts.
                      www.disciplerocks.com

Comment

Andy Reid is twice the coach that Coughlin is and I'm so glad we have him over any other coach in the NFC.

Comment

Originally posted by sfphillyfan
                          Andy Reid is twice the coach that Coughlin is and I'm so glad we have him over any other coach in the NFC.
                          That says it all... And yes and is "twice the size" too.

Comment

aikman had a great commentary during the giants/seattle game. to paraphrase, "you see how plaxico burress and jeremy shockey act when things go wrong. eli never sells his teammates out in public. afte the comeback, they both said how eli had grown up during the eagles game. he's not the one that needs to grow up."
                            socratee.spreadshirt.com

Comment

Giants can implode and I will enjoy watching it. To hell with Eli, Shockey and all the rest and whenthey have a fire sale at the end of the year because of a 7-9, or 6-10 campaign they can send Pierce to us. (Jacobs too)
                              I miss Philly!

Comment

Working...
                              X