Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As average as he was he was still a team leader

Philadelphia Eagles on NJ.com
    Carson Wentz, Eagles players are clearly upset the team traded away Jordan Matthews

PHILADELPHIA --*Off the field, the Eagles*are a very well coached team. They rarely rock the boat through the media or take shots at anyone, whether it be another team or their own.*
    On Saturday, however, the players couldn't hide their disappointment in the team's decision to trade away receiver Jordan Matthews.*
    "I've seen a lot of guys come and go," tight end Zach Ertz said. "But none that I was closer to than Jordan. It wasn't easy for any of us."
    The Eagles moved Matthews to Buffalo for cornerback Ronald Darby on Friday, addressing a position of need, but also trading away a player in Matthews that was arguably the most popular in the locker room.**
    "It was emotional," Ertz said. "We lost a brother...he's a brother for life to me."

Here is why Eagles' trade was a bad one
    The move strips the Eagles of their most consistent receiver, but it also lands them a cornerback that could end up being a better option for them this season than any of the other options currently on the roster.
    One player who seemed particularly upset about the decision was the team's franchise quarterback, Carson Wentz. *
    "It's tough. There is the personal side of things and the football side of things. The football side, you have to trust what they are doing upstairs," Wentz said. "On the personal side, it's tough. It's someone that was one of my best friends. Seeing him yesterday, it was tough on him too."
    Although he said he respected the decision, it sounds like Wentz let*executive vice president of football operations Howie Roseman know he didn't like it.*

"I spoke with Howie*shortly*before it was news. He told me is was already done," Wentz said. "He obviously knew how I felt with Jordan being one of my best friends. On the personal*side its tough. He knew that, he was prepared for that and I told him that."
    The mood at practice was clearly subdued, with players peppered with questions about the trade*after practice.
    Speaking after the two-hour session, head coach Doug Pederson said he understood the emotion, but also made it clear he was ready to move on -- and the players should be too.*
    "It's like anything we do in life. The next person steps*up and here we go," Pederson said. "We can sit and have poor attitudes and all that, but at the same time*we are happy for both parties and we are moving forward."
    Although Pederson might expect his team to move on, it is clear that is going to take some time.
    While players said they were excited for the addition of Darby, it is obvious the loss of Matthews is going to have an impact on the locker room, and perhaps the player who will be impacted the most is also their most important.*
    "There is no other way to put it," Wentz said. "It is tough personally."
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Jason Peters, Jason Kelce, Brent Celek, Darrin Sproles, Nelson Agholor (just kidding), Malcolm Jenkins, Fletcher Cox all leaders, This team is not devoid of leadership.

Also, see Wentz really starting to take the reins, once he does, that is all that matters.
    Were from Philly F in Philly no one likes us we DON'T CARE!

Comment

I'm sure it hurt. Matthews was well liked. Wentz drove him to the airport.

They're grown men, and they will get over it. The simple fact is that the Eagles desperately needed a #1 CB. They can win without Matthews. They are going to have a much better chance of winning with a #1 corner.

It hurts, but the bottom line here is that the Eagles are a better team. It's a passing league. You cannot win without good CB play. The Eagles didn't have that, and Howie saw an opportunity to get someone who could make a difference there, and he made the move. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do, even if someone's feelings get hurt.

Comment

It's good that it happened this early. Belechek cut Tie Law one week before the season started and got beat 30-0. They went on to win the SB. When Alston lights it up in the 3rd preseason game they forget all about Matthews. I just hope that they don't take it out on Darby.

Comment

Here's a guy not to upset about the trade!

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/vi...3-215db9dfb164

Comment

Howie has been making good moves lately. Let's hope this another one.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
              I just hope that they don't take it out on Darby.
              I think that's very unlikely. These guys aren't High School 'mean girls'.
              They know that Darby didn't arrange the trade and that he and some other BIlls players may be just as unhappy as are Eagles players.

But maybe Howie should be careful if Wentz offers him a glass of beer that is a little on the warm side.

Comment

All of a sudden it looks like Treggs is a make.

Comment

It seems like Jordan Matthews was included as a throw-in in the Eagles-Bills trade

This says a lot about JMatt’s value.

The former Eagles wide receiver clearly has reason to be upset after being traded so suddenly. He’s moving away from the friends and teammates he had in Philadelphia.

Another reason for Matthews to be upset is that it seems like Buffalo isn’t even super interested in him.

Follow
                  Les Bowen ✔ @LesBowen
                  I doubt Jordan Matthews is real thrilled with the trade. My sense is the Bills wanted the draft pick, and after trading Watkins, needed WR.

Follow
                  Les Bowen ✔ @LesBowen
                  Try this again, while watching practice: Matthews told Buffalo reporter Bills haven't mentioned a contract
                  11:34 AM - Aug 12, 2017

It’s typically standard for a team trading for a player on a one-year deal to start negotiating a long-term contract. But it sounds like the Bills aren’t in a rush to keep Matthews. The Eagles’ 2018 third-round pick was the real prize of the trade for Buffalo.

Contrast that to what’s going on in Los Angeles with the Rams. They traded with Buffalo because they really wanted Sammy Watkins. Rams GM Les Snead publicly admitted the team wants to extend his contract.

The point I’m trying to make here is that this Eagles-Bills trade indicates Matthews’ value was not very high. I’ve seen some question why the draft pick had to included and this trade wasn’t just a player-for-player swap: Matthews for Ronald Darby. Now you have your answer.

It shouldn’t be a surprise that Matthews’ value wasn’t very high. As previously mentioned, he’s going into a contract year. The league likely realizes there could be a disconnect between what his agent will be asking for (based on Matthews’ inflated stats) and the player’s actual value relative to his skill set.

Another comparison I’d like to make while illustrating this point is the Brandin Cooks trade. Cooks only has 188 more yards and one more touchdown than Matthews does in his career. The Patriots surrendered a first-round pick because they really wanted him. Now compare that to the Matthews trade where he had to be traded in addition to a third-round pick in order for the Eagles to get Darby.

I’m real curious about how he even fits in Buffalo. Anquan Boldin and rookie Zay Jones are already slot guys. That’s where Matthews has played in most of his career. Maybe the Bills will try him on the outside, but he hasn’t had success there in limited playing time. In 2016, Matthews played on the outside for 32.9% of Philadelphia’s offensive snaps, according to Pro Football Focus. Matthews was targeted 40 times when not playing in the slot. He had 20 receptions for 222 yards (a paltry 11.1 average).

It’s a bummer to see Matthews end up in a situation where he’s not necessarily wanted long-term. The good news is JMatt will have a chance to find a team who really wants him in free agency after this season.

Comment

mathews aside, we better hope Alshon is a team guy and that he isn't just using Philly to cash in on a big deal elsewhere in the off season

Comment

Originally posted by dawkins20 View Post
                      mathews aside, we better hope Alshon is a team guy and that he isn't just using Philly to cash in on a big deal elsewhere in the off season
                      They'll definitely be a lot better off if it works out with him, and they can get him signed long term. It's so hard to get a guy like that.

Comment

Working...
                      X