Register blog | Columns | Amazon FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read mobile style

Go Back   Philly.Sportscolumn.com > Philly Sports > Eagles Fans Only 2017

Old 08-15-2017, 09:03 AM   #51
Eaglebreath
Pro Bowler

Eaglebreath has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemc View Post
I would agree with most of those practice notes except for CJ Smith. He got burned routinely and Undlin was constantly trying to coach him up. Undlin was hyper-focused on him but unfortunately for all the wrong reasons. Again - it's just one day and hopefully Smith was just having a bad one.
Hopefully, with Darby, Mills, Brooks, and Robinson all in front of him, CJ won't get burned while sitting on the bench.
Eaglebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:27 AM   #52
RobLew65
Veteran

RobLew65 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglebreath View Post
Hopefully, with Darby, Mills, Brooks, and Robinson all in front of him, CJ won't get burned while sitting on the bench.
The best part is Sidney Jones is still on the mend and when he is ready then we have a really nice group of DBs.

But being an Eagles fans I have to be alarmed at LB depth. It has to be a priority when all those cuts happen.
RobLew65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:12 AM   #53
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Eagle60 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLew65 View Post
The best part is Sidney Jones is still on the mend and when he is ready then we have a really nice group of DBs.

But being an Eagles fans I have to be alarmed at LB depth. It has to be a priority when all those cuts happen.
I just don't see us getting anything from Jones this year Rob. I don't think that a rookie can just come in and play at the end of the season at this level. He'll be much too far behind not only our guys but the whole league. It's not like Jones is Deon Sanders.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:13 AM   #54
taz
Pro Bowler

taz has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLew65 View Post

Especially since with all this talk of Elliots suspension we have a cabana boy beating gun hiding linebacker who could get the same amount of time on a suspension.

That said the linebacker position has some depth this year, I like Gerry a lot, Goode is a solid backup. Most of the time we are in 2 linebackers anyway. Kendricks only plays like 30% of the snaps. In fact if and when Bradham gets suspended Kendricks will most likely slide into the strong side.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:21 AM   #55
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz View Post
Especially since with all this talk of Elliots suspension we have a cabana boy beating gun hiding linebacker who could get the same amount of time on a suspension.

That said the linebacker position has some depth this year, I like Gerry a lot, Goode is a solid backup. Most of the time we are in 2 linebackers anyway. Kendricks only plays like 30% of the snaps. In fact if and when Bradham gets suspended Kendricks will most likely slide into the strong side.
That may be the reason the Birds had no intention of trading Kendricks this season.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:53 PM   #56
Eagle60 
2013 Contributor
Hall of Famer

Default Darby vs. Antonio Brown

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/...own-cornerback
Old 08-15-2017, 09:13 PM   #57
FairOaks
Pro Bowler

FairOaks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglebreath View Post
Oh, and there's this little tidbit in the practice notes..

ē The whole secondary suddenly looks a lot better with Darby in and Robinson not playing the outside. Itís not just Darby. Jalen Mills has stepped up his game and had several pass breakups today. Rasul Douglas is showing promise. C.J. Smith isnít looking bad. Robinson isnít looking as much of a liability in the slot. And so on. The increased competition at corner seems to be bringing out the best in everyone.
This is the best part of the trade -- seemed like something similar happened at WR when Jeffery got there. Everyone else was bumped down a notch, so they are now competing for the #2 or #3 spot (lot less pressure), plus also got to see how a #1 is expected to perform so it gives them a level they need to play up to.

I hate giving up Matthews -- not really because he's a great receiver, but he was steady and a favorite target of Wentz, and I would really prefer that Wentz has guys he is comfortable with so he can grow this season. If it takes time to get back to the same level with other WRs, it could cost some development time. I was hoping that Wentz would develop other favorite receivers as the season went on, making Matthews expendable after the season, but now it will have to happen the last three games of preseason.

The lack of a 3rd round pick is also a pretty severe hit, given that we already have no 2nd -- so it hits us harder than some other teams.

But... it is a game-changing acquisition for the defense, to get a real #1 corner and without busting cap. It changes the CB situation dramatically, which is entirely different than trading Matthews for say a 4th round pick like many of the rumors had been.
FairOaks is offline   Reply With Quote