NFLPA urging boycott of draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFLPA urging boycott of draft

Can't believe this wasn't posted (unless I missed it within another thread). I'm trying not to take sides here b/c I don't feel sympathy for any of them ... but the NFLPA is trying their best now to make me side against them.

Seriously - you're in the process of letting rookie wages go down the drain (and they probably should) and in the process you want THEM to do the dirty work for you? Terrible PR move and I really hope they reconsider and reverse their stance here as I can only imagine most people see this as a double slap in the face to the fans and college prospects who just want to hold up a jersey for their family.

What crap.

Originally posted by fly View Post
    Can't believe this wasn't posted (unless I missed it within another thread). I'm trying not to take sides here b/c I don't feel sympathy for any of them ... but the NFLPA is trying their best now to make me side against them.

Seriously - you're in the process of letting rookie wages go down the drain (and they probably should) and in the process you want THEM to do the dirty work for you? Terrible PR move and I really hope they reconsider and reverse their stance here as I can only imagine most people see this as a double slap in the face to the fans and college prospects who just want to hold up a jersey for their family.

What crap.
    I agree and I'm a player advocate. And how does a decertified union ask for anything anyway?
    "Hey Giants, who's your Daddy?"

Comment

I want Drew Brees to STFU, I want the owners to STFU. Stop talking to the press, get in a fucking room and work it out. With the billions at stake, these ego maniac a-holes all come off looking like DBs.

Comment

Agreed. Moves like this make me want to pull my support for the players. I'm not sure whether this falls under greed, or just sheer stupidity.
        http://shop.cafepress.com/content/global/img/spacer.gifOK, let's try this again...

Comment

Right now, they are in a PR war, and this move represents a disaster for the NFLPA.
          "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by stocknowledge View Post
            Right now, they are in a PR war, and this move represents a disaster for the NFLPA.
            They are, but not as bad as the owners are. How many times is that asshole Godelle going to tell me that that fans have spoken and want an 18 game season? How many times is he going to tell me that fans are tired of the preseason and want more games instead? What fans are tired of Roger are paying full price for practice games and you know it. Season ticket holders are tired of getting fleeced. It has nothing to do with wanting more games.

Comment

I am leaning more and more with the owners. I have always thought that teh NFl ran the best league and the best compensation method. Guarantied salaries and big market payrolls are one of teh things that have really hurt baseball and basketball. But, this is ridiculous. These actions are almost child-like and these draftee's are not even in the players association yet. At this point, I am not sure where the truth sits, but I do know that, if true, the NFLPA allways wanted this to happen. There new leader wants to make a name for himself. If the players really rejected the last offer without reading it, one has to wonder about alternative agendas.

Maybe someone wiser that I can help me with a question. When we had the sub games, there was a players union that essentailly prevented union players from playing. with no union, who is sto stop some of the players from playing? I think the federal injunction just prevents the owners from taking the TV reveneus if they are no games. What is to stop the owners from setting things up the way they did last time and offering spots to all players? I'd think there are some vets and rookies that will need the cash.

Comment

As Coach Herman Edwards said on his segment on NFL Live, this is a once-in-a-lifetime thing for a player and his family. They should not be asked to boycott the draft. Conversely, Schlereth on the same segment stated that he agreed with the Coach, but understands why the trade organization formerly known as the Players union would ask this: the draftees would be promoted by the League/Teams marketing arms without the benefit of any type of contract or compensation. This is especially true of the first-round picks and more so with the top of the draft.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoughtProcess View Post
                  As Coach Herman Edwards said on his segment on NFL Live, this is a once-in-a-lifetime thing for a player and his family. They should not be asked to boycott the draft. Conversely, Schlereth on the same segment stated that he agreed with the Coach, but understands why the trade organization formerly known as the Players union would ask this: the draftees would be promoted by the League/Teams marketing arms without the benefit of any type of contract or compensation. This is especially true of the first-round picks and more so with the top of the draft.

One might also ask why these owners are holding a draft if they are locking out the guys that they draft? F 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                    [/B]

One might also ask why these owners are holding a draft if they are locking out the guys that they draft? F 'em.

Maybe they're planning on starting over with new players.
                    Official Driver of the Eagles Bandwagon!!!
                    Bleedin' Green since birth!

"Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many." - Mike Willey

”Enjoy The Ride!!!” - Bob Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by Jukin View Post
                      Maybe they're planning on starting over with new players.
                      If they extend it to a 53-round draft, then we'll know that is exactly what they are planning!
                      "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." - Joe Theismann

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle60 View Post
                        [/B]

Come on E ... b/c we all believe at some point they will make up and play football next season. Are we going to delay a draft until September?

The draft is for fans and college players. You can side with the players, but this is a slap in the face to the fans mostly from the nflpa. Eff them.

Comment

This update from espn ... http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2...ory?id=6220232

While the agent speaking at the beginning of the video (that the owners are locking out the college player and also trying to implement a rookie wage scale) is technically correct, tell me how hard the NFLPA is really fighting for these rookies.

Listening to the NFLPAs response doesn't help me. Screw the insincere, blatant fan-slapping aholes.

Comment

Originally posted by fly View Post
                            This update from espn ... http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2...ory?id=6220232

While the agent speaking at the beginning of the video (that the owners are locking out the college player and also trying to implement a rookie wage scale) is technically correct, tell me how hard the NFLPA is really fighting for these rookies.

Listening to the NFLPAs response doesn't help me. Screw the insincere, blatant fan-slapping aholes.
                            $8.00 an hour sounds about right.

Comment

Working...
                            X